Funistrada

Debacle

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 05:57 pm
Menu R&D

"In 1974, according to Gastronomica (Winter 2002), the U.S. Army set out to determine whether soldiers were taking their periodic meal surveys seriously. One survey mingled fictitious foods -- "funistrada," "braised trake," "buttered ermal" -- with authentic ones. Funistrada proved especially popular, trouncing eggplant, lima beans and cranberry juice.

Now, the Washington Times (Oct. 30, 2002) reports that the Defense Department is developing a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich with a shelf life of three years.

Funistrada is sounding better and better."

.... from the Winter, 2003, issue of The Wilson Quarterly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,163 • Replies: 33
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:45 pm
Well, funistrada is good for you. It has Vitamin T and gives you your recommended daily allowance of macadam.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 07:40 am
Quite correct, jespah, but funistrada tends to get a little sticky during the summer months. For year-round use, I prefer buttered ermal, which I find keeps me "amazingly regular" as Horace Rumpole was wont to say of his daily intake of Chateau Thames Embankment (although I suspect the steak 'n kidney pud played a greater role in that production.) Buttered ermal certainly wins out over prunes, based on my own personal trials and tribulations.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:19 am
BUTTERED ermal!?

Surely everyone uses olive oil, now?

I am giving up funistrada for Lent.....
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:23 am
I have always been partial to the macadam supplements...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:26 am
great for the long and winding road, eh?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:36 pm
Braised trake, unfortunately, is not kosher, so I will not allow it in my home.

And buttered ermal goes straight to my hips!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:41 pm
Try to replace pork for smoked goose breast in the braised trake, and use corn oil-based margarine instead of butter, Jespah, and you will be able to have this delicious GI meal at home.
And fatless butter (fat is being replaced with deodorated paraffine oil) will help to solve an ermal problem.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:12 pm
Deodorated paraffine oil? Man, that just sounds nasty-tasting. But I bet it makes for fine lamp oil.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:16 pm
Usage of mineral oils as a substitute for fats is a figment of my imagination, a kind of funistrada of my own. But maybe it may provide some solution for people concerned with weight gain, since mineral oil does not contain either calories, or saturated fat or cholesterol, while providing fatty taste. Some taste enhancers may be used to cope with unpleasant taste of the paraffin oils, and to simulate taste of natural fat. The main obstacle to implementation of my proposal may be a strong laxative effect of the mineral oils.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:54 am
Well, I suppose you could diversify, and also sell Depends[TM].
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:56 am
IIIEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

Jespah's gross!! Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:20 am
I'm sorry, Jerry.

Er, what kinda filling you got, Jerry? <Toaster strudel reference>
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:25 am
Laughing
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:38 pm
Sorry, Jespah, what is this trademarked Depends™ all about? This product, whatever it is, is unfamiliar to me.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:16 pm
steissd: Consider yourself fortunate for that, good friend!

It is an adult incontinence product, similar to products marketed under the "Huggies" or "Pampers" label for infants.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:20 pm
Ah, thanks for explanation, Maxsdadeo. I hope not to reach the age when I shall need these diapers for adults...
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 05:31 am
The trick is reaching the age while maintaining one's independence. Avoiding caffeine is recommended in that regard, or so I'm told.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:11 am
What?!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:22 am
Caeffine causes mutations in your DNA. Not a good thing, unless you want to be a mutant!
0 Replies