A break from partisanship...

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 11:31 pm
hmmmm ... I begin to suspect I'm being stalked ... dyslexia's appearance on a couple other threads may have some relevance in that ... hmmmmm ....

timber
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:29 am
leave Timber alone!!!!

he has cute talons.....and he is sensitive....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:18 pm
I also heard timber's a closet mothball sniffer. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:27 pm
You can get high on MOTHBALLS?

Clever li'l smeggers! I bet that is how they attract the lady moths!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:28 pm
if only........oh, nemmind.....blush....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:29 pm
i only stalk celery
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:34 pm
dys, I'm glad I'm the only carrot stalker. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:36 pm
Shocked

=8>-(
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:42 pm
bunny, you're a riot.

timber
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 09:31 am
In an anthropology class some years ago, the professor was talking about the arrival of rabbits in Australia (end of the 1800s). He said, "They just took over." The sentence evoked enough consternation in one young lady sitting near the front such that she raised her hand and asked a clarifying question. She had pictured, apparently, something like Rambunny.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 09:32 am
Neither liberal nor conservative. I refrain from the extremes and believe it is what is wrong with politics today!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 09:35 am
I take my comment back --------- didn't realize this had turned into another rabbit, errrr - excuse me, rabid digression thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
BillW, There's needs to be a major third party that clings to the middle. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 02:36 pm
Blatham,

Yep - it was a massacre - the Australia day massacre, they called it - thousands of me little rabbit cousins stormed the cages, chewed their way out, and took over Sydney. It was a reign of terror. You won't find it in the "history" books - they were ashamed to have anyone know how they shivered and cowered in their homes, while rabbits chased the Rum Corps (drunk as usual) out of town, and had their way with their vegetable gardens and chook food...

Some of the less desirable elements broke into the grog joints and drank themselves silly - it was an ugly sight, apparently - fornication in the streets, brawls, tails held at obscene angles......they were re-captured in their drunken stupors and taken out of town and released, hung-over, stumbling blindly in the fierce sun of a new world....."go forth and multiply" they said, the people, I mean - or something like that -I think it was shorter - and they did, li'l smeggers, they did...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:02 pm
dlowan, One big mistake in your story; rabbits don't need any encouragement to "go forth and multiply." LOL c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:50 pm
Bill W - the rabbit stuff is a digression - this is still a political thread and could do with a decent continuation of that theme - go for it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 11:43 pm
Trespassers Will ,

An interesting thread and interesting too to see how it has played out.

I am ... ahem.... a conservative.

Mostly this is because I am mistrustful of the earnest confidence of liberals who often claim to know for sure what is good for me and others., and who, in my view, tend to require rather slavish adherence to the currently "correct" doctrine.

I view history as exposing almost endless complexity in revealing intertwined human motivations and purposes, but also revealing an almost dull repetition of very similar patterns in large aggregated events.

Didn't start out that way, but the more I see of government, particularly its bureaucratic elements, the less confidence I have in it. The generally unanticipated and adverse side effects of most government programs usually end up dominating the primary ones. Bureaucracies are dedicated above all things to self perpetuation and growth.

The request that we identify someone of the opposite political persuasion whom we admire is intriguing. Few have chosen to follow it, but I'll reveal mine. Senator Eugene McCarthy - a very strong critic of the Vietnam war who grasped early on the heartless, pseudo-scientific, and ultimately ineffective, approach of MacNamara's whiz kids & ops analysts in the prosecution of what was in fact a colonial war of attrition. He was also a poet and was posessed of a very strong sense of irony which ultimately limited his effectiveness in politics, but earned my lasting admiration.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:34 am
Wasn't MacNamara an auto exec? c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:46 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wasn't MacNamara an auto exec? c.i.

McNamara was born on 9 June 1916 in San Francisco, where his father was sales manager of a wholesale shoe firm. He graduated in 1937 from the University of California (Berkeley) with a degree in economics and philosophy, earned a master's degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Admin-istration in 1939, worked a year for the accounting firm of Price, Waterhouse in San Francisco, and then in August 1940 returned to Harvard to teach in the business school. He entered the Army Air Forces as a captain in early 1943 and left active duty three years later with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

In 1946 McNamara joined Ford Motor Company as manager of planning and financial analysis. He advanced rapidly through a series of top-level management positions to the presidency of Ford on 9 November 1960, one day after Kennedy's election. The first company head selected outside the Ford family, McNamara received substantial credit for Ford's expansion and success in the postwar period. Less than five weeks after becoming president at Ford, he accepted Kennedy's invitation to join his cabinet.

timber
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:47 am
c.i. says:

Quote:
BillW, There's needs to be a major third party that clings to the middle. c.i.

I would prefer 10 to 15 parties - all major or minor; depending on your view point! Two party systems suck!
0 Replies