Water Spots

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:29 am
How do you prevent water spots when you wash/dry clothes? Recently when I have been removing some of my clothes from the drying, I have noticed what looks like water spots on my clothes. I thought it may be from either not thoroughly drying the clothes or from having them sit too long before putting in the dryer, but neither of these solutions seem to work. Anyone know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,282 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:46 pm
Could the spots be due to grease or oil? I don't think water "spots" in the way you describe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:56 pm
I don't think so. These "spots" come out after spraying a little spray and wash and re-washing. No matter the color all you see you a spot in a slightly darker tone. It is very strange.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
are you using a fabric softener? a different fabric softener?

you can get marks that look like water/grease spots if the fabric softener kinda clumps up
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
No fabric softener - could it be the detergent? We typically use powder as I hear it does not harm flame retardant stuff on the kids PJs.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:46 pm
I think it's the detergent, Linkat. Try putting the detergent in first and dissolving it before adding the clothes. That is fill the machine with water, dissolve the detergent and then add the clothes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:16 am
Swimpy that is usually how I do wash the clothes. I usually pour the detergent and then run the water and then add the clothes. I am not careful about measuring the detergent, perhaps putting too much detergent in could be the problem.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:39 pm
Could be Linkat. Also make sure you let the machine adjatate a little before adding the clothes. Better yet, switch to liquid detergent.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:53 am
I'd use liquid detergent, but was told that liquid detergent "washes" out the chemicals in the kiddies flame retardant pjs, so they are no longer flame retardant. I think it was in some parenting info from the doctors office. Any hoot, I will try allowing the machine to agitate prior to adding clothes; tough when you are doing clothes at 9pm, after putting kiddies in bed, making and eating dinner with hubby, etc. I think I get a bit antsy to get the clothes going and maybe do not wait long enough for the detergent to dissolve fully.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:54 pm
Linkat,

You might find this Site interesting.

Quote:
Washing Flame Retardant Children's Clothing: According to the Department of Agriculture, when washing flame retardant clothing in phosphate-free laundry detergent add 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. This will help the fabric retain its flame retardancy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
Wow thanks! You are full are vital information!
0 Replies

Werks

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
How did you fix the water spots on laundry?
Linkat wrote:
How do you prevent water spots when you wash/dry clothes? Recently when I have been removing some of my clothes from the drying, I have noticed what looks like water spots on my clothes. I thought it may be from either not thoroughly drying the clothes or from having them sit too long before putting in the dryer, but neither of these solutions seem to work. Anyone know?

Did you find an answer to the question that worked???? I really need this problem fixed its ruining my laundry.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
This is what I have tried and at least it seems to have lessened the problem. I think it also happens more often when I use cold water, so perhaps it is because the soap has not completely dissolved. What I do is have the washer fill with water first, then add the soap, shut the door so that the water and soap agitates for a couple of minutes – hopefully dissolving all the soap then I add my clothes.
0 Replies