The homeland security farce

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:13 am
Were you to build a billion dollar ship with all the most modern bells and whistles would you put to sea with a gaping hole in it's bottom? Of course not.
The US is spending enormous amounts on homeland security and to any would be terrorist left a sign on our southern border that says come this way.

U.S. borders porous:

BY BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Color-coded warnings, crackdowns at airports and stiffer immigration policies have done virtually nothing to plug gaping holes in U.S. borders, according to a chilling published report.Despite the constant threat of terrorists invading the homeland, 4,000 undocumented immigrants simply walk across borders daily, a Time magazine investigation has found.

"Every day we deal with this," Jim Elkins, chief of police in the Arizona border town of Bisbee, told Time. "People don't feel safe. ... They come across in droves."

By the end of this year, 3 million undocumented immigrants will sneak across U.S. borders undetected and most will obtain bogus Social Security numbers and identification to meld into American life, the magazine estimates. That's enough to fill up to 60 commercial jumbo jet flights every day.

The numbers represent the largest wave of illegal immigrants since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and triple the number of immigrants who arrive here legally every year.

While the majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico, a growing number are pouring in via Mexico from other countries, including Afghanistan, Egypt and even Iran and Iraq, Time reports.

The magazine estimates that 190,000 illegal aliens from countries other than Mexico have snuck into America so far this year.

Despite being underfunded and understaffed, Border Patrol agents have slightly slowed the immigrant tide.

From Oct. 1, 2003, to Aug. 25 of this year, agents along the southwest border nabbed 55,890 people described as being from countries other than Mexico. The number nearly doubles those caught in 2002.

Time also estimates that nearly 15 million undocumented immigrants are now in the United States, many with criminal records.

Between Oct. 1 and July 20, the Border Patrol's Tucson sector stopped 9,051 people making illegal crossings who have criminal records in the United States. They included 378 people with active arrest warrants, two for homicides.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 10
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:31 am
Maybe we should build a wall? Or maybe just start shooting anyone the comes across the border illegally. I am sure that would win the hearts and minds of liberals everywhere.

I love how people get to criticise, but not offer up any real solutions.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:32 am
The problems with illegal immigration has been a sore subject for decades.

The political left will never allow this govt to do what it needs to do in order to shut the boarders down entirely. We have the resources to do it but not the guts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
Let me remind you that the political right is at the moment is in control in the US. Homeland security with all it's bells and whistles and shorcomings is their baby. If you are looking for someone to blame look to the right. .
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:50 am
I believe I'll blame BOTH parties. The Republicans for wanting nice cheap illegal labor, and the Democrates for wanting millions of more voters. Both selling out the country for their own gain.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:56 am
Jim- I could not have said that better myself. I really get pissed off at both sides of the political spectrum.................never owning up to their peculiar frailities, and always blaming the other guy. Reminds me of a bunch of Junior High School kids!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
AU - Somwhat true however, be reminded that many consessions were made not only with the Homeboy Security Dept but also the Patriot Act in order to pacify the left.

Both sides are responsible.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
'I love how people get to criticise, but not offer up any real solutions.'

Do you really?

I find it rather ironic that those who are in charge now offer problems and not solutions and turn on their critics.

Those criticizing the democrats are overlooking how calculated Bush was in creating war. He would have gone to war with the Soviets had the Mujahardin not given him something else to play with.

Imagine if the buildings had fallen onto Liberty and Wall streets. The finincial center of the US would be in Dallas.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:33 pm
padmasambava
I could say "Dump the Chump" but unfortunately that will not solve the problem. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have the intestinal fortitude to do what is needed.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
You could do more than say dump the chump. You could vote against the chump.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:10 pm
Kerry's got the fortitude.
0 Replies