US Neo-Imperialism

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:56 pm
That changed attitudes in the post-1945 era also changed the character/nature of imperialism, thus causing the USA to adopt new techniques to extend their influence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,527 • Replies: 34
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:27 pm
if you search the history of the last hundred or so years, we are actually returning to the policies of TR
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:52 pm
TR: Tyronosaurus Rex?

I have to agree.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:53 pm
Of course Tyranosaurus Rex was considerably older than a hundred years.

But you're right.
0 Replies

chunkydrive

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:35 pm
TR?
I don't understand how the US is returning to the policies of TR. I wouldn't exactly have called the policies of TR covert.
0 Replies

chikachika

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:28 pm
The USA acts as an imperialist nation, under the guise of moral rights and freedom. Cultural imperialism was used to manipulate and westernize the psychology of people in Third World countries, as well as world wide, aiming to align them with USA imperialist interests. It was most effective because it coerced people from the inside, slowly enough that the change was in some cases unrecognizable. Cultural imperialism created a politically submissive populace and awakened consumerism desire in people so that fertile markets for Western commodities could be cultivated. As this form of imperialism was covert and hard to distinguish, it met with no resistance from the peoples, yet it is one of the most efficient and successful forms of imperialism. The absence of force meant that the people in the imperialist nations did not see this as going against any morals, rights or freedoms, and as it was beneficial for their nations, supported it.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:16 am
Pick up "Blowback" by Chalmers Johnson and you may understand things in Iraq, etc a bit more.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
One difference I would cite is that when Roosevelt exercised the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe doctrine - sending the Navy half way around the world knowing he didn't have enough fuel funded to bring the fleet back - there was actually enough money in the till.

That's a significant difference.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:33 pm
Ok - I'll bite. What's TR??
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:36 pm
Theodore Roosevelt- a president who oversaw the expansion of American interests in the 1890's. Cuba, Phillipines...etc
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:37 pm
His motto was 'Walk softly but carry a big stick"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:42 pm
panzade wrote:
Theodore Roosevelt- a president who oversaw the expansion of American interests in the 1890's. Cuba, Phillipines...etc

Well - doh - thankee!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:45 pm
That T-Rex business was confusing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:54 pm
LOL! Only to the confusable, amongst whose gentle, slightly dippy, ranks I include myself...
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:58 pm
Sometimes you'd think that some of our elder statesmen were related to T Rex.

Forgive me for the deliberate misunderstanding. It struck me as funny because I was born on Teddy's birthday.

I have a big stick, too. It's made of teak.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:27 pm
Accusing the US of "Imperialism" is almost quaint or charming since it was over-used in the days of now-failed World Communism. It still has a bogus ring to it even now in that those who employ it are often guilty of mouthing canned Party "left-speak" or "blather" like so many Parana Birds.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:44 am
Or truth, like so many owls.

PARANA birds?????
0 Replies

chunkydrive

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:14 am
Damn, we have gone from T-rex to some type of birds. Ahh well. I am sure there is some kind of meaning im just not getting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:24 am
Well, birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Does that help?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:34 am
panzade wrote:

Theodore Roosevelt became President of the United States on September 14, 1901, when William McKinley died in Buffalo, New York, eight days after having been shot by an arnarchist. Before you make such statements, it is a simple matter to check your facts on-line.

In fact, the "expansion of American interests" in the 1890's is a rather problematic expression for you to use, as it is extremely vague, and not referential to any national policy, until the 1898 war with Spain. William McKinely was President then. Mr. Garret was then his Vice-President.
0 Replies