Bush Faces Increasing Pressure Over Drugs & the Draft

boobsal

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=559273

The first salvo is due to be fired on CBS tonight, when Ben Barnes, a Democrat and the lieutenant governor of Texas in 1968, will explain his role in securing for the 22-year-old Yale graduate Bush a coveted place in the state's Air National Guard - a unit so full of the sons of Texas's rich and powerful that it was known as the "Champagne Unit".

The saga of the future President's failure to go to Vietnam has inevitably returned to the headlines here as counterpoint to the controversy over his opponent's war record, amid accusations by a group of veterans that Mr Kerry has lied over his service in Vietnam, for which he received five decorations.

In recent months Mr Barnes has said he feels "very ashamed" about helping Mr Bush and the sons of other prominent Texans, and is said to have told friends that he did it to "collect chits" from powerful families. In the interview he is expected to expand on these comments.

In a predictably scathing reaction, the Bush campaign - long prepared for a counterattack on the Vietnam issue after the furore over the ads about Mr Kerry - has dismissed Mr Barnes as a "partisan Democrat", peddling a rehash of old allegations against the President. Last week George Bush Snr, the former president, described charges that he pulled strings for his son as "total lies". Mr Barnes himself has acknowledged he received no direct approach from the Bush family to have George W admitted in the Texas National Guard - a virtual guarantee that he would not be sent to Vietnam.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,129 • Replies: 18
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
Too little too late. The Bush reelection is a done deal. The crowning moment was Chaneys slur at Kerry supporters; that they would foster terrorism if they didn't vote for Bush. We are a nation of sheep.
0 Replies

boobsal

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
Voters deserve better than Bush and the de facto president, Dick Cheney.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:06 pm
unfortunately voters get what they deserve.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
boobsal wrote:
Voters deserve better than Bush and the de facto president, Dick Cheney.

unless you can document that "voters deserve better" you earn a salt pancake for an unsupported "statement of fact"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
panzade wrote:
Too little too late. The Bush reelection is a done deal. The crowning moment was Chaneys slur at Kerry supporters; that they would foster terrorism if they didn't vote for Bush. We are a nation of sheep.

That may be true, however, it would be worse if Kerry just threw in the towel and all others who want bush out just give up and pout.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
If you thought I was advocating throwing in the towel you were mistaken. My frustration is with those who have no system of belief.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:38 pm
It ain't over till it's over.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:51 pm
Au, that may be so, but right now Kerry is in free fall.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:17 pm
Just like Gore's handlers screwed up in Florida, the campaign management to this point has been abysmal.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:43 pm
But what does that say about Kerry? I know that a bunch here think Dubya is a lightweight upstairs, but honestly, would anyone with any common sense let their so-called "handlers" handle them into oblivion as Kerry has?

Or...as I've also wondered...do you think he's just been ignoring their advice?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:52 pm
Kerry has been too indecisive. About his votes, his campaign, everything.

That "two Americas" rhetoric of Edwards' joke--(you know, 'cause there's two Kerry's) is SLAYING him.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:14 pm
My father once told me "No one ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Although I am contradicting this bit of wisdom, I still think that Kerry is in position to win the election.

With the debates coming and the continued disaster in Iraq, there is no way that Americans will be able to miss the fact that the Bush administration is a disaster. This may actually be the one exception to my father's rule.

There is only so much crap the American middle voter can be asked to swallow. From claiming a Democratic conspiracy to forge military documents, to insisting on a link between Iraq and 9/11.

I can't believe that Americans will be able to keep all the lies baseless fear-mongering and slander down. Americans can't possibly be that stupid, can they?

I predict a comfortable lead for Kerry by the middle of October.

By God I hope I am right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
Me too, ebrown.

I agree that things aren't looking good for Kerry now. His reputation is to ponder, ponder and then act decisively and correctly. Election-wise, especially when his back is up against the wall. I think he has shown that with Edwards -- he solicited a lot of counsel, listened to it, kept things close to the vest, and than bam. And it was a good decision, IMO.

It's been the expectation for a long time that August would be slow. (It was a feature in money solicitations that I got, "last day to donate" before some July deadline, stuff from MoveOn about the importance of ads in August because Kerry wouldn't be doing much of anything.) August was slow... hopefully not fatally slow. But if things were gonna look bad, now is when they're gonna look bad. I have hope that there will be some big decisions coming up (bam) that will both energize the campaign and energize voters. I think voters like to vote for a winner, which is a bit of a tautology, but I think a jump in the polls will itself help draw in voters.

Anyway, we'll see. Shocked
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
Quote:
I have hope that there will be some big decisions coming up (bam) that will both energize the campaign and energize voters. I think voters like to vote for a winner, which is a bit of a tautology, but I think a jump in the polls will itself help draw in voters.

I think he's going to start talking about religion. (Bam)

PS Kerry said he doesn't believe in polls.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:42 pm
Those who are frustrated by others who don't share their beleive systems should be aware that some of us base our lives on awareness not belief.

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to us to hear the opinions of those who base their lives on belief but not awareness?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
Those who are frustrated by others who don't share their belief systems should be aware that some of us base our lives on awareness not belief.

Can you imagine how frustrating it is to us to hear the opinions of those who base their lives on belief but not awareness?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:24 am
panzade wrote:
If you thought I was advocating throwing in the towel you were mistaken. My frustration is with those who have no system of belief.

I am sorry, I misunderstood your valid point.

I think the fault lies in the fickle nature of the large majority of the American people who get easily swayed by the likes of those swift boat people and Drudge. It is not Bush himself who sways the American people, I think by now most average Americans have seen through all Bush's words as just the empty words of a braggart. However, like sozobe said, Americans vote for who think are winners and they think these sleazy tatics are working so they are going to vote for someone they don't like because they think he is going to win. It is frustrating and a bit bizarre when you think about the lack of logic of it.

It's like if you were told you were going to get sick this week in a horoscope. Before you know it you have worked yourself into being sick even though you don't want to be sick.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
W memos fact & fiction

By RICHARD HUFF and CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

The memos are fake, but the facts in them are real.
That was the word yesterday from the secretary of a now-deceased colonel who supposedly authored memos - disclosed by CBS' "60 Minutes" - that make the case that President Bush shirked his Texas Air National Guard duty.

The secretary, Marian Carr Knox, said the memos that CBS showed on the air are forgeries. But the claims in those fake memos are true, she said.

"The information in here was correct," she said of the CBS documents. "But it was picked up from the real ones."

Her boss, Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, really was being pressured to "sugarcoat" Bush's review even though he was a substandard pilot who was grounded after disobeying an order, Knox said.

"I remember very vividly when Bush was there and all the yak-yak that was going on about it," Knox, 86, told The Dallas Morning News yesterday.

Knox said Killian kept a "cover his back" file in a locked desk drawer. She said the CBS memos appear to have been reconstructed from memory by somebody who had access to the file.

Killian died in 1984.

Knox, who is no fan of Bush, said she doesn't know what happened to Killian's file. CBS says it got the memos from the file - and from an "unimpeachable source" it refuses to identify.

Killian's claims threw more confusion into a controversy that the Bush campaign hoped would go away - and that has caused news organizations to question the documents' authenticity.

First Lady Laura Bush told an Iowa radio station on Monday the documents "probably are altered and they probably are forgeries." When the story broke last week, the White House did not question the veracity of the Killian memos.

CBS News President Andrew Heyward defended the story yesterday.

"I'm confident about the documents," Heyward said. "I'm not sure these forensic issues are ever going to be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. We now have dueling experts."

One of those is Marcel Matley, the lead expert CBS hired to examine the disputed documents. On Friday, Matley appeared on CBS to vouch for them.

On Monday, he told The Washington Post that he examined only the signatures on the memos and couldn't be sure whether the documents were real because he saw only copies.

"The signature is very important," Heyward said. "He felt more confident with the signature because it was easier to read, rather than the copy of the document itself."
0 Replies