panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:14 pm
You're getting the hang of this language thing Kicky Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:26 pm
Re: Best heavyweights of all time
kickycan wrote:
It's gotta be either Joe Lewis or Rocky Marciano. I say it's Marciano, because he would not allow himself to lose, ever.

Joe Lewis: The legendary "Brown Bomber," is considered by many to be the finest heavyweight champion in the history of boxing. He held the world's heavyweight title from June 22, 1937 until June 25, 1948 and made a division-record 25 successful title defenses.

Record 68-3

Rocky Marciano: Rocky couldn't box like (Gene) Tunney, and probably couldn't hit like (Joe) Louis, but in one respect he had no challenger," wrote Pulitzer Prize winner Red Smith. "He was the toughest, strongest, most completely dedicated fighter who ever wore gloves.

"Fear wasn't in his vocabulary and pain had no meaning."

He is the only undefeated heavyweight champion, with a record of 49-0.

Who do you think is the greatest?

Joe Louis. Just from the films, there's nobody I've seen that'd I'd give any real chance against Louis at his prime. Nobody else ever dominated heavyweights for ten years or more. Some might claim Louis was small for today's fight game but they didn't have steroids then. In today's world Louis would enter the ring at about 215 - 220. Marciano on the other hand would simply be a cruiserweight in today's game; there'd be no way to make a heavyweight out of him.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:50 pm
Of the heavyweights I've seen, I have to say Floyd Patterson. He had skill, style, grace, courage, and man, that right hook! And on top of it all, he was genuine class act.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:53 pm
Anna Nicole Smith is a pretty hot heavyweight....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
Edgar's comment about Ali is an important consideration since we'll never know what his true potential was.

My guess would be that Ali held the title right up until March 6th 1985 when a young mutant from the streets of New York made his pro debut. I don't believe I've ever seen film of anyone who could stand in front of this monster for any lenght of time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39087000/jpg/_39087730_tyson_young245.jpg

Don't confuse the disgusting excuse for a human you see walking around today with this animal. If there was even half a brain in his head; he might still be undefeated today.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
He's a man. Not a mutant nor a monster. A mere man.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:11 am
You're right, Bill. Tyson should be up there with the all-time greats. He was, in his prime, a killing machine. I remember watching many two-minute knock-outs when he was king of the jungle.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
Assuming Joe Louis were to walk into the ring at 210 - 215 lbs, which he would with today's chemicals, Tyson could not take him. Louis was just as quick as Ali and had punching power Ali never dreamed about.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:23 am
gungasnake, I was going to say that too, but I didn't really know enough about Joe Lewis to make that claim. Thanks for saying it.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
I used to like to watch the fights until they started killing their opponents or biting off their ears. After that, I think the towel was prematurely thrown in the ring, just as the fight was beginning to look interesting. I can't decide who was the greatest between the two you have mentioned, however, I did enjoy watching Roberto Duran in his great short lived career.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:32 am
OK, we've done the heavyweights, now how about the other classes?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:39 am
How about Chavez?

Julio Cesar Chavez

Born: July 12, 1962
Mexican boxer

world jr. welterweight champ (1989-94); also held titles as jr. lightweight (1984-87) and lightweight (1987-89); won over 100 bouts; 90-bout unbeaten streak ended 1/29/94 when Frankie Randall won title on split decision; Chavez won title back 4 months later.

90 wins in a row is a record that hasn't been even approached. He might be the greatest, pound-for-pound, ever.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:58 am
To my mind, greatness encompasses a variety of things, including power, skill, durability, and dominance. I don't think that too many guys can claim them all. I think Louis comes closest.

In the other weight divisions, Robinson gets my vote. An all-around boxer, with skill and power. He dominated his division for years. The cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:41 pm
From what I have heard, there is no question that Sugar Ray Robinson is the best pound for pound fighter of all-time.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:24 pm
I'd say Child tagged this one.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sportscentury/inline/srobinson.jpg
ESPN.COM wrote:
"Pound for pound, the best." The claim has been used to describe many boxers, but it was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson.
Never mind the weight class. When it came to boxing, Robinson was as good as it got.
Sugar Ray Robinson fought 202 times during a career that spanned three decades.

Muhammad Ali called Sugar Ray "the king, the master, my idol."

"Robinson could deliver a knockout blow going backward," boxing historian Bert Sugar said.

Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, then was the middleweight champion five times between 1951 and 1960. At his peak, his record was 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts. And he never took a 10-count in his 200 fights, though he once suffered a TKO.

Source
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
Wow, I agree. Holy ****, that's an amazing record.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:35 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
From what I have heard, there is no question that Sugar Ray Robinson is the best pound for pound fighter of all-time.

They took a vote at a gathering of sports writers who covered boxing in NY a few years back, best in each weight division over the last hundred years, and there were only two unanimous choices, i.e. Ray Robinson as a middleweight, and Roberto Duran as a lightweight.

I view Duran as the best prizefighter of our age and the best pound per pound of all time. He'd be on the shortest possible list of best and greatest athletes I've ever watched.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:02 pm
No mas?
0 Replies