Best heavyweights of all time

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:58 am
It's gotta be either Joe Lewis or Rocky Marciano. I say it's Marciano, because he would not allow himself to lose, ever.

Joe Lewis: The legendary "Brown Bomber," is considered by many to be the finest heavyweight champion in the history of boxing. He held the world's heavyweight title from June 22, 1937 until June 25, 1948 and made a division-record 25 successful title defenses.

Record 68-3

Rocky Marciano: Rocky couldn't box like (Gene) Tunney, and probably couldn't hit like (Joe) Louis, but in one respect he had no challenger," wrote Pulitzer Prize winner Red Smith. "He was the toughest, strongest, most completely dedicated fighter who ever wore gloves.

"Fear wasn't in his vocabulary and pain had no meaning."

He is the only undefeated heavyweight champion, with a record of 49-0.

Who do you think is the greatest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,844 • Replies: 64
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
Comparing fighters from different eras cannot be an exact science, since they faced different opponents and life circumstances. We can't know how well Muhammid Ali might have done had he not been suspended. We just see him doing great, then interrupted, then coming back for many more successes and mounting failures. How might Louis and the others have fared under the same circumstances? We can't know. To me, they are like different tunes on a record album. Just relax and enjoy them.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
I know it's not really possible to know for sure who was the greatest. I just love the arguments.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:38 pm
The guy is one of the biggest retards walking the planet, hence the reason his career went so south, but Mike Tyson in his prime was NASTY. Not saying he's the best ever, but in his prime he was pretty unstoppable.
I can't speak for the old timers, since I've never seen them fight.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
I have never really been much of a boxing fan, but in my estimation I'd have to say George Forman. I've heard stories of him basically toying around with his opponents. The critics used to say he couldn't go the distance, so he basically marshmellows his opponent for the entire fight to disprove the naysayers. I won't mention his grand comeback at the age of 40 or so, nor his near even grander comeback at the age of 50 or so.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:33 pm
P.S. if Marciano was dark, he'd not get half of the recognition he gets. As great as he was, he benefited from the "Larry Bird Effect".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:39 pm
George Forman was strong. But a smart fighter, Ali, although outmatched in that category, knocked him out. In his comebacks he fought mostly bums. I noticed that they never hit him in the stomach in those fights. No, I rate Forman far down the list.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:43 pm
No arguements, you most likely know FAR more than me. Rumble in the Jungle says it all right?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:44 pm
My opinion. Not looking to put someone down.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
I was being submissive not sarcastic...I know that "FAR" looked very sarcastic, but it wasn't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:04 pm
Ali.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
Okay, if you're putting Ali-era guys up there, then you have to include Ken Norton as a possible all-time greatest. He beat Ali once, breaking his jaw, and the other two were virtual draws.

But Foreman knocked Norton out in the second round when they fought. Hmmmm...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:06 pm
Lucky punch.
Hmmmmmm indeed.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:26 pm
Now that you guys have peed all over each others legs...how bout Gentleman Jim Corbett? They say he was a monster. 20 round fights...no gloves?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:38 pm
Wow, Panzade, that is going waaay back! Do they even have film of any of those fights?

Using the name "Joe Dillon" to avoid losing his amateur status, Corbett fought professionals in Utah and Wyoming before returning to California in 1889 for three fights against Joe Choynski, a challenging stepping stone to the heavyweight title. Corbett won two of them, one by knockout, and the third was stopped by the police after four rounds.

On May 21, 1891, Corbett fought Peter Jackson, an Australian who couldn't get a championship fight against the reigning John L. Sullivan because he was black. The match went 61 rounds before it was declared no contest because both boxers were too exhausted to continue.

Corbett met Sullivan on September 7, 1892, in New Orleans in the first championship fight using padded gloves under the Marquis of Queensbury Rules. He won the title by knocking Sullivan out in the 21st round.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:40 pm
Just wanted to add a little history to your thread;which as usual, is excellent.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:50 pm
Thanks, panzade. You're contribution is much appreciated, as always.

I think I saw some show a long time ago that had some footage of one of Corbett's fights. Is that possible? Did they have moving pictures back then?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:52 pm
Sorta doubtful...but I enjoy watching old boxing matches from the B&W era.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:03 pm
I think it was a history of boxing type of show. It must have been footage from the Jack Dempsey or Max Schmelling era that I saw.

Hey check out this old site I found. Pictures of Corbett, Sullivan, etc. Cool stuff.

http://w1.225.telia.com/~u22508116/oldbox.htm
0 Replies