It's the 10 round cap that makes me think.

revel

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:26 pm
I don't know who I feel sorry for the most in that story.

It is true and real stories like those that makes me more and more convinced that assault weapons ban was a crock. We should just get rid of legal guns period. (my dad's and my husband's guns first :wink: )

I know criminals get ahold of guns any which way they can and the argument that seems to sway people is that "we got to be able to defend ourselves."

Personally I just don't think it is all that common that people go around with a gun at the ready in their pockets just waiting to be threatened by a criminal. Usually guns are either used in hunting or sitting on gun racks or in closets (or something) in both cases tragic accidents happen too often or a depressed teenager goes on a shooting spree with their "parents" gun. Maybe store owners and people like that have guns waiting to be used. But just ordinary people don't go around with guns in holsters like a wild west cowboy movie.

(everyone I know that has guns just happens to be male, I guess I live around old fashioned people)

I think that what we ought to be fighting is this notion that the "founding fathers" wrote divine inspiration. They were just men who luckily wrote a document that has stood the test of time because it was designed to be flexible with the times and circumstances. So next time someone starts bringing up "2 admenment" to me I am just going to say, "so what."

From what i gather around here the reason that the law came into being was something to do with the British being able to control it's citizens (americans) through guns.

Just think about all the weapons our government has today. In order to be level with them in case they decide to start some kind of marshall law thing we would have to have the same kinds of weapons they have and that is not just guns and rifles.
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
What daddy should do (I guess we're back in time when all families were under the direction of a father) and what happens are two different things.
But, if the All-Mighty Gun must be in all homes, then Daddy must be held responsible for any mishaps that occur.

Is that the idea, 45?

First, you were the one who insinuated the patriarch to be the gun owner of the family, not me.

D'artagnan wrote:
A little kid who finds DADDY's gun

Second, I never said everyone MUST own a gun. In this day and age, I personally believe it's a smart move, but it is a personal choice, and even if you decide not to, IMHO it would be best to receive some sort of firearms safety education.

Finally, if a child finds Daddy's (or Mommy's if you like) gun and commits a negligent discharge, then YES, that parent is responsible for a) not illustrating the importance of firearms safety thoroughly enough to his (or her) child, and more importantly (and the law can back me up on this one) b) for leaving a firearm accessible to a minor.

The reason things happen differently is because parents would rather leave their kids ignorant to guns. The same is true for many things, especially sex, but that, of course, is a topic for another debate. :wink:
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
revel wrote:

...Personally I just don't think it is all that common that people go around with a gun at the ready in their pockets just waiting to be threatened by a criminal. Usually guns are either used in hunting or sitting on gun racks or in closets (or something) in both cases tragic accidents happen too often or a depressed teenager goes on a shooting spree with their "parents" gun. Maybe store owners and people like that have guns waiting to be used. But just ordinary people don't go around with guns in holsters like a wild west cowboy movie....

I don't even want to guess where you might be from. What do you base your statements on??? What you see on the Channel 9 news? Sure you must have some notion that these horrific tragic accidents occur so often, because you probably see it every night on the television. If you want the truth, put down the remote and consult the FBI's crime stats.

I cannot stress how utterly and tragically WRONG you are about concealed carry and the thousands, no, the tens of thousands (at least!) of times each year guns are used BY PRIVATE CITIZENS to thwart crime. Contrary to your beliefs, as a matter of fact, many people do wear holsters and other concealment rigs, though not in such a hick manner as in "Wild West Cowboy" movies (which, pardon me for saying, seem to be where you get your facts). I can only make the impetuous assumption that you're not anywhere near the Northwest, or Texas, or the Midwest, or anywhere in the South, and if you are, the only question left to ask you is "Where have you been?" I have been carrying concealed since I was 21, and so has my girlfriend. In fact, also contrary to what you think, most licensees of Concealed Carry Weapon permits that I know are female, and logically so (I am from Texas). Even in Florida, where I go to college, many females carry weapons (some with and some without, hehe) and it is not uncommon to see them at the local gun range honing their skills.

Again, you are bringing up instances which are not the fault of guns, but of negligent parenting practices or just plain stupidity. Furthermore, the reason the 2nd Amendment has stayed alive is because it makes sense, and it saves lives. Maybe you're too comfortable to realize it, but there are other people in this nation less fortunate than yourself that don't have the luxury of an armchair to think all this nonsense up. They depend on guns to keep themselves and their families safe. The decision to own a gun is a personal choice. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, you don't need to own one, just as those who don't want to vote don't have to. But what you shouldn't do is advocate the ban of guns. You never hear about all those times someone used a gun to fend off a thug because it doesn't make a nice, gory, sensational story for the nightly news, but it happens, much more than any negligent deaths due to guns.

Sorry for all the rant, but I would encourage you to research the cold, hard facts. You might be surprised to learn, completely opposite to what the liberal news media would try to feed you, how integral guns are in our society. Guns are too often an issue over which the masses get way too emotional and attempt to pass legislation which affects thousands more people negatively than positively. Of course, it's easy for a parent whose child was killed by a negligent discharge (notice I say "negligent" and not "accidental") to blame the gun -- it's easier to live with than blaming themselves or another person.

So again, I implore you to check out the facts. Visit www.keepandbeararms.com for a few of those aforementioned instances that will never make the Channel 9 news. If you want a good read about women and concealed carry, check out www.paxtonquigley.com. I hope you can be persuaded to switch your malcontented attitude towards guns in favor of a more tolerant point-of-view.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
FortyFiveAutomatic wrote:
And I'm not going to throw statistics at you, but I encourage you to check it out for yourself. Great Britain, Australia, and other areas where guns have been outright banned for private ownership have seen marked increases in violent crime.

If you're going to say something this foolish, you'd better have some good statistics to back yourself up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
As this debate has gone on here for months, I seem to recall several Englanders getting pissed off when people keep making that claim that violence has risen there, when there is a great body of factual evidence that it has fallen...

But I can't find the link! So I encourage you to look for yourself (and tell me where ya found it!)

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
Canada:

Quote:
Canada's national crime rate increased 6% in 2003, its first substantial gain in over a decade. The increase was driven by a surge in counterfeiting across the country

Quote:
On the other hand, the national homicide rate fell 7% last year to its lowest level since 1967.

Quote:
Notable gains also occurred in other large-volume, minor offences such as mischief and disturbing the peace. Some forces have attributed the increase in minor offences to new reporting procedures introduced in 2003, which make it easier for the public to report these types of crimes to the police.

I think I'll stick with a country with restrictive gun laws.

Counterfeiting and disturbing the peace. Yup, I'm scared.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040728/d040728a.htm
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
Just a short commentary on that story submitted by mesquite...

It is too bad the child died, what a horrible way to go. Crying or Very sad

Could it have been prevented? Most definitely. First, it was not the place of that supposed Marine sniper to display firearms in front of that child, Saxon. Though I strongly believe Saxon should have received some sort of talk about guns from his mother, it would have been based upon her own discretion as a parent how to educate her child in firearms safety. The biggest blunder, as I see it, is that the Marine didn't properly secure the weapons out of the access of curious 10-year-old boys. He should serve jail time for that, and I hope that child's mother is working harder to sue his ass off than she is for banning guns. If I was the parent of that child, you'd better believe I'd do everything in my power to have that f*cktard Marine behind bars, maybe even the friend's mother too, for allowing that moron to just stash them wherever.

One must not forget the #1 Rule of Firearms Safety. ALL GUNS ARE LOADED.

My prayers shall be for the poor boy's soul, and for forgiveness for the responsible people.
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:20 pm
Quote:

A recent report for Congress notes, "All countries have some form of firearms regulation, ranging from the very strictly regulated countries like Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Sweden to the less stringently controlled uses in the jurisdictions of Mexico and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms continues as a part of the national heritage up to the present time." However, "From available statistics, among (the 27) countries surveyed, it is difficult to find a correlation between the existence of strict firearms regulations and a lower incidence of gun-related crimes. . . . (I)n Canada a dramatic increase in the percentage of handguns used in all homicides was reported during a period in which handguns were most strictly regulated. And in strictly regulated Germany, gun-related crime is much higher than in countries such as Switzerland and Israel, that have simpler and/or less restrictive legislation." (Library of Congress, "Firearms Regulations in Various Foreign Countries, May 1998.")

Quote:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2%.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6%.

Australia-wide, armed-robberies are up 44%. (yes, FORTY-FOUR PERCENT)

In the state of Victoria, homicides-with-firearms are up 300%!

The steady decrease in homicides-with-firearms that occurred during the previous 25 years became an increase in the last 12 months.

The steady decrease in armed-robbery-with-firearms that occurred during the previous 25 years became an increase in the last 12 months.

There has been a dramatic increase in breakins-and-assaults-of-the-elderly.

At the time of the ban, the Prime Minister said "self-defense is not a reason for owning a firearm".

From 1910 to present, homicides in Australia have averaged about 1.8-per-100,000 or lower, a safe society by any standard.

The ban has destroyed Australia's standings in some international sport shooting competitions.

The membership of the Australian Sports Shooting Association has increased by 200% in response to the ban and in an attempt to organize against further controls, which are expected.

Australian politicians are on the spot and at a loss to explain why no improvement in "safety" has been observed after such monumental effort and expense was successfully expended in "ridding society of guns". Their response has been to "wait longer".
-Jenny Mouzos, the Australian Institute of Criminology, "Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice"

Well you asked for backup, there it is. You go and believe your Canadia Daily or whatever it is you read. Besides, no one needs your country's statistics to know that more gun control equals more violent crime here in the States. There is, however, a correlation between population density and violent crime, and I believe your particular conclusions neglected that variable.

And if there's such a LARGE body of evidence, why is it only restricted to one link? Smells like b.s. to me.
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
Gary Kleck, Ph.D., world-renown expert on gun control, had this to say:

Gun Prohibitionists' Argument:
Other countries' experience shows that more restrictions on firearms ownership decreased homicides and suicides in those countries; the more available firearms are, the higher a country's incidence of violence.

The Data Required to Support Their Argument:
Statistical data showing that homicide and suicide rates in Europe dropped when very restrictive "gun control" laws took effect.

What the Data Actually Shows:
The incidence of violence in European countries was low long before restrictive "gun control" laws were enacted. European suicide rates are much higher than U.S. suicide rates. If homicide and suicide rates are combined, the U.S. is still below the median of 18 major nations. Israel has a policy of encouraging widespread firearm possession also has the lowest homicide + suicide rate.

...from Kates, Kleck, et al. (1995)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:43 pm
Quote:

Anyone who has ever been in the heat of a firefight could tell you that no one who expected to survive such a battle would be sitting there behind cover COUNTING the rounds fired from his opposition.

Anyone else get the image of Clint Eastwood saying "Do you feel lucky, PUNK!?"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
FortyFiveAutomatic wrote:
revel wrote:

...Personally I just don't think it is all that common that people go around with a gun at the ready in their pockets just waiting to be threatened by a criminal. Usually guns are either used in hunting or sitting on gun racks or in closets (or something) in both cases tragic accidents happen too often or a depressed teenager goes on a shooting spree with their "parents" gun. Maybe store owners and people like that have guns waiting to be used. But just ordinary people don't go around with guns in holsters like a wild west cowboy movie....

I don't even want to guess where you might be from. What do you base your statements on??? What you see on the Channel 9 news? Sure you must have some notion that these horrific tragic accidents occur so often, because you probably see it every night on the television. If you want the truth, put down the remote and consult the FBI's crime stats.

I cannot stress how utterly and tragically WRONG you are about concealed carry and the thousands, no, the tens of thousands (at least!) of times each year guns are used BY PRIVATE CITIZENS to thwart crime. Contrary to your beliefs, as a matter of fact, many people do wear holsters and other concealment rigs, though not in such a hick manner as in "Wild West Cowboy" movies (which, pardon me for saying, seem to be where you get your facts). I can only make the impetuous assumption that you're not anywhere near the Northwest, or Texas, or the Midwest, or anywhere in the South, and if you are, the only question left to ask you is "Where have you been?" I have been carrying concealed since I was 21, and so has my girlfriend. In fact, also contrary to what you think, most licensees of Concealed Carry Weapon permits that I know are female, and logically so (I am from Texas). Even in Florida, where I go to college, many females carry weapons (some with and some without, hehe) and it is not uncommon to see them at the local gun range honing their skills.

Again, you are bringing up instances which are not the fault of guns, but of negligent parenting practices or just plain stupidity. Furthermore, the reason the 2nd Amendment has stayed alive is because it makes sense, and it saves lives. Maybe you're too comfortable to realize it, but there are other people in this nation less fortunate than yourself that don't have the luxury of an armchair to think all this nonsense up. They depend on guns to keep themselves and their families safe. The decision to own a gun is a personal choice. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, you don't need to own one, just as those who don't want to vote don't have to. But what you shouldn't do is advocate the ban of guns. You never hear about all those times someone used a gun to fend off a thug because it doesn't make a nice, gory, sensational story for the nightly news, but it happens, much more than any negligent deaths due to guns.

Sorry for all the rant, but I would encourage you to research the cold, hard facts. You might be surprised to learn, completely opposite to what the liberal news media would try to feed you, how integral guns are in our society. Guns are too often an issue over which the masses get way too emotional and attempt to pass legislation which affects thousands more people negatively than positively. Of course, it's easy for a parent whose child was killed by a negligent discharge (notice I say "negligent" and not "accidental") to blame the gun -- it's easier to live with than blaming themselves or another person.

So again, I implore you to check out the facts. Visit www.keepandbeararms.com for a few of those aforementioned instances that will never make the Channel 9 news. If you want a good read about women and concealed carry, check out www.paxtonquigley.com. I hope you can be persuaded to switch your malcontented attitude towards guns in favor of a more tolerant point-of-view.

Actually I am from Kentucky.

Boy; you must travel in some pretty hostile places if everyone around you feels the need to be armed.

Don't you all get in a lot of trouble nowadays with homeland security taking your guns every where you go?
0 Replies

FortyFiveAutomatic

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:11 am
Well, it's not that I really go to hostile places, but you know the saying. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I grew up in a pretty low-SES environment, so I guess the notion of the right to bear arms is something that has been hardwired since I was little.

I don't get in trouble with homeland security because all of my guns were legally obtained. Sure I have been stopped by cops, but wherever I have gone policemen are generally pretty conducive to firearms ownership, especially if you volunteer the information from the onset. Let them know that you have guns in your car or on your person, and show them the proper certification (where applicable), and by my experience, they really appreciate the honesty.

In truth, my mother poses the same question to me all the time (she disapproves of my gun habit, largely because of the money that goes into it); she worries because I look Middle Eastern (I am of Mexican descent) and she hears all these horror stories of dark-skinned people getting antagonized by Southern white cops. I'm sure there are some bad cops out there, but for all the times I've been stopped (which admittedly aren't very many), the policemen have been very professional and courteous.

And it's not so much that everyone feels they need to be armed. I guess I just associate with a lot of people that feel that owning a gun is a good failsafe against violence, especially in these high-terror-alert days. Plus, truth be told, firing guns is fun. Go out to the range, do some plinking, have some laughs...it's a safe, fulfilling activity, at least to me and my friends.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:18 pm
Quote:
Gun-related death more likely in U.S.: Statscan

According to Statistics Canada, the stereotype rings true: Canadians are far less likely to be killed with a gun than their American counterparts.

In a study released Tuesday called Deaths Involving Firearms, the agency says that in 2000, the rate of Canadian homicides involving firearms was just 0.5 out of every 100,000 people. The rate in America was almost eight times higher, or 3.8 per 100,000.

ctv link

Quote:
Gun-related homicides, suicides and accidents all declined in relation to the population size between 1979 and 2002, said the Statistics Canada study based on death certificates.

But the report explicitly declines to link falling firearms mortality with tougher gun-control laws brought in during the same period.

"You've got to remember there have been gun-control laws for most of this last century, of one sort or another," author Kathryn Wilkins said in an interview.

The data she studied simply can't differentiate between any number of cause-effect possibilities, whether they be fewer sports hunters, urbanization, an aging populace or tougher gun registration and storage rules.

Wilkins noted that the 1989 Montreal massacre, in which 14 young women were gunned down, coincided with a sharp, steady decline in gun deaths in Canada.

"Who's to say that tragedies like that don't have some influence, as well?" said the researcher - perhaps by raising public awareness of firearms storage issues, for example.

national post link

<always best to pick right of centre media references for this sort of story :wink: >
0 Replies