Bush's approval rating is dropping.

au1929

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:06 am
Bush's Backing, Though Still Strong, Shows Steady Decline

By ADAM NAGOURNEY and JANET ELDER

President Bush's public support has eroded steadily over the last 12 months, with a rising number of Americans expressing discontent both with his economic policies and his handling of foreign affairs, the latest New York Times/CBS News poll shows.
The poll, taken at the midpoint of Mr. Bush's term as he prepares to deliver his second State of the Union address on Tuesday, found that 59 percent of Americans approve the way he is performing his job. That figure is the lowest it has been since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. But the president's ratings were unusually high after Sept. 11, 2001 and, by historical standards, remain strong today.
Bush's luster is beginning to fade. I know it's a little premature but based upon the current trend do you think Bush will get re-elected in 04 or is he a one term president like poppy?
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/24/national/24POLL.html?todaysheadlines
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,631 • Replies: 12
No top replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:37 am
Just the thoughts of Dubya's being a one-term presidency soothe the soul.

It seems that he is timing his inevitable war with Iraq to coincide with the election. American voters traditionally don't dump a war-time president.

But Dubya also has another gloomy factor facing him, one that could be more dangerous than any war. That is the state of the economy.

If present economic trends continue, Dubya's going to have a difficult time winning re-election.

On the other hand, the Democrats now seem so factious that it is going to be hard for them to unite behind the correct candidate whoever s/he may be.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 03:49 pm
Bush doesn't seem to be having a good day today, so that's at least one good day for me. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:17 pm
The theme during the Clinton Years was "it's the economy stupid".
A fitting theme for Bush would be "Stupid it's the economy".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:41 pm
hahaha
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:44 pm
I had an extremely trying week. But to see a buncha people who dislike Bush the way I dislike him almost gives me a warm fuzzy, and boy do I need a warm fuzzy.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:49 pm
Bush's Approval Ratings Remain Strongest Among Morons:

Village Voice
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:02 pm
George The Younger has a helluva lot riding on this spin of the wheel, the ball hasn't dropped and he hasn't placed all his bets yet.
Its way too soon to write him off, and there is a chance, however slim, he could hit a big number. I think it less likely he'll pull a dead loss, and in any event, he'll have chips left to stay in the game a while anyway. In a world where Jerry Springer can explore candidacy for The Governorship of Ohio, anything can happen. And often does. I'm bettin' with George ... for the moment. The odds look good to me.

timber
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:04 pm
This must be giving Bush a bad day. I hope he feels as if he is sitting on a tack. A big one.
U.N. to give Iraq 'quite satisfactory' grades
VIENNA, Austria — The head of the U.N. nuclear agency will tell the Security Council next week that his inspectors need more time in Iraq, but that Saddam Hussein gets "quite satisfactory" grades for responding to inspectors' questions and requests for information, an agency spokesman said Friday.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2003-01-24-un-iraq-inspectors_x.htm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:15 pm
Timber
I got a little carried away. Edited the post . Thanks I needed that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:27 pm
NP, Au, we all get excited sometimes. Good job ...

I agree things appear to be going less well than The Current Administration might prefer. I suspect there may be a bit of brinksmanship going on here ... and a "Startling Revelation" should not be unexpected over the next 72 hours or so. The Modesto Kidnapping may be about to get a whole lot lot less media attention.

timber
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:41 pm
More "war" worries caused another 200+ point drop in the Dow Jones today. Can Dubya pull it out, or will he be like his Dad and let the economy sink his administration?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:47 pm
um lets see the DOW is down what 451 points for the week, polls indicate majority think the Bush economic plan just favors the rich, 1,000's more jobs lost and its time for the State of the Union speech, Bush has pretty much lost the 9/11 Teflon, 70% of Brits disfavor unilateral engagement with Iraq, France-German-Russia not on the bandwagon. all in all i would guess its not been a good week for the Bush.
0 Replies