The Dishonesty Thing

au1929

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
OP-ED COLUMNIST

The Dishonesty Thing

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: September 10, 2004

It's the dishonesty, stupid. The real issue in the National Guard story isn't what George W. Bush did three decades ago. It's the recent pattern of lies: his assertions that he fulfilled his obligations when he obviously didn't, the White House's repeated claims that it had released all of the relevant documents when it hadn't.

It's the same pattern of dishonesty, this time involving personal matters that the public can easily understand, that some of us have long seen on policy issues, from global warming to the war in Iraq. On budget matters, which is where I came in, serious analysts now take administration dishonesty for granted.

It wasn't always that way. Three years ago, those of us who accused the administration of cooking the budget books were ourselves accused, by moderates as well as by Bush loyalists, of being "shrill." These days the coalition of the shrill has widened to include almost every independent budget expert.

For example, back in February the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities accused the Bush administration of, in effect, playing three-card monte with budget forecasts. It pointed out that the administration's deficit forecast was far above those of independent analysts, and suggested that this exaggeration was deliberate.

"Overstating the 2004 deficit," the center wrote, "could allow the president to announce significant 'progress' on the deficit in late October - shortly before Election Day - when the Treasury Department announces the final figures."

Was this a wild accusation from a liberal think tank? No, it's conventional wisdom among experts. Two months ago Stanley Collender, a respected nonpartisan analyst, warned: "At some point over the next few weeks, the Office of Management and Budget will release the administration's midsession budget review and try to convince everyone the federal deficit is falling. Don't believe them."

He went on to echo the center's analysis. The administration's standard procedure, he said, is to initially issue an unrealistically high deficit forecast, which is "politically motivated or just plain bad." Then, when the actual number comes in below the forecast, officials declare that the deficit is falling, even though it's higher than the previous year's deficit.

Goldman Sachs says the same. Last month one of its analysts wrote that "the Office of Management and Budget has perfected the art of underpromising and overperforming in terms of its near-term budget deficit forecasts. This creates the impression that the deficit is narrowing when, in fact, it will be up sharply."

In other words, many reputable analysts think that the Bush administration routinely fakes even its short-term budget forecasts for the purposes of political spin. And the fakery in its long-term forecasts is much worse.

The administration claims to have a plan to cut the deficit in half over the next five years. But even Bruce Bartlett, a longtime tax-cut advocate, points out that "projections showing deficits falling assume that Bush's tax cuts expire on schedule." But Mr. Bush wants those tax cuts made permanent. That is, the administration has a "plan" to reduce the deficit that depends on Congress's not passing its own legislation.

Sounding definitely shrill, Mr. Bartlett says that "anyone who thinks we can overcome our fiscal mess without higher taxes is in denial." Far from backing down on his tax cuts, however, Mr. Bush is proposing to push the budget much deeper into the red with privatization programs that purport to offer something for nothing.

As Newsweek's Allan Sloan writes, "The president didn't exactly burden us with details about paying for all this. It's great marketing: show your audience the goodies but not the price tag. It's like going to the supermarket, picking out your stuff and taking it home without stopping at the checkout line to pay. The bill? That will come later."

Longtime readers will remember that that's exactly what I said, shrilly, about Mr. Bush's proposals during the 2000 campaign. Once again, he's running on the claim that 2 - 1 = 4.

So what's the real plan? Some not usually shrill people think that Mr. Bush will simply refuse to face reality until it comes crashing in: Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman, says there's a 75 percent chance of a financial crisis in the next five years.

Nobody knows what Mr. Bush would really do about taxes and spending in a second term. What we do know is that on this, as on many matters, he won't tell the truth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:56 am
This pathetic administration has done so much obvious harm to the United States and to the world...

...it is deplorable that anyone is planning to vote to keep them in control.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
Frank Welcome Back.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:44 am
I love Krugman. Just read a link to a lecture he gave that Blatham posted on another thread.

Unfortunately, there are few that read about or understand the consequences. I spoke with someone earlier today that said it won't matter. We always get through and people are always saying such and such is gonna happin if someone gets in office, but it never does.

I said that this time it does matter, that we have never been this divided and that there has been a polarization with little if any overlap in the moderate category.

She said there has been discontent and division, like back with Vietnam War and the protests.

Tried to tell her this was different and it will matter...

Deaf ears. And, yes a voter.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:02 pm
I put Krugman in the same league with Ann Coulter (only a bit worse.) Even though the Times are loathe to print retractions or corrections for their op-ed contributors, they've probably had to do so more for Krugman than anyone else on the staff. It annoys him mightily. To me, he's the last person who should be discussing dishonesty LOL.

By the way, have you seen him lately? Honestly, I think he's about over the edge. He's got this kind of "tic", blinks rapidly while looking left and right and can't seem to focus. It puts me in mind of the scene in A Beautiful Mind when John Nash is cutting and pasting all the magazine and newspaper articles all over the walls of that room.

I fully expect them to find Krugman in similar circumstances...and soon.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:46 pm
bush and his cohorts are serial liars.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:23 pm
I saw Krugman today on the idiot box. I saw no tick.

You're sure it wasn't Max Headroom.

Your comparison to Coulter is summary. We know we're dealing with.

Thanks for the intelligent article. Paul Krugman is very perceptive. I'll keep reading him and listening to what he has to say.

Coulter? Get real!
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:24 pm
Forgive me. That was to read we know whom we are dealing with - which is to say someone who finds Ann Coulter at a par with Paul Krugman.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:37 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank Welcome Back.

Good to be back, Au. Good to see ya.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 05:06 am
Many believe (as I do), that Bush's tangles with honesty is organic.

He has, after all, lied his way through entire life and gotten away with it quite well. Like Scott Peterson, another American sociopath on trail for the double murder of his wife and unborn son, George W. Bush wouldn't know the "truth" if it were looking him in the eye.

And like Scott Peterson, Bush is surrounded by people (mothers, fathers, sisters, and various female supporters) who are always orbiting him to remind him of his omnipotence.

George W. Bush is detached from reality -- he lives in a neither-world where accountability doesn't come into play.

Bush is, in my opinion, extremely dangerous.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:11 am
Self congratulations never gets old among a certain ilk. You loyal Americans want to join us at 45 minutes after this hour to remember 4000 innocent victims of alleged terrorists or would you just want to continue to engage in sedition in this time of war and excuse it as an exercise of your franchise of Freedom of Speech?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
And the stories of Bush's bravery, honesty and integrity continue to roll in. This from yesterday's Daily News.

W for war but eager
to avoid it, prof recalls

BY CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Yoshi Tsurumi

President Bush' former Harvard Business School prof says his ex-student supported the Vietnam War but wanted somebody else to fight it.
Yoshi Tsurumi said yesterday that Bush told him his father's connections got him into the Texas Air National Guard. "But what really disturbed me is that he said he was for the Vietnam War," said Tsurumi, who has also taught at Baruch College and the City University of New York. "I said, 'George, that's hypocrisy. You won't fight a war that you support but you expect other people to fight it for you.' He just smirked."

Tsurumi, who crossed paths with Bush in the early 1970s when the future President was studying for his MBA, previously has criticized Bush's economic policies and described him as a mediocre student who "believed people were poor because they were lazy."

But Tsurumi's new volley comes as Bush has been battling allegations he got preferential treatment at the height of the divisive Vietnam War. Bush, according to Tsurumi, "had no sense of guilt" about getting into the Guard while others wound up fighting in Vietnam.

"He was very casual about it," the professor said. "I said, 'Lucky you, how did you manage it?' He said, 'My dad had a good friend who put me at the head of the waiting list.'"

The White House declined to comment on Tsurumi's recollections, but Bush has denied that his father, who was a congressman at the time, pulled strings to get him a much-sought-after berth in the Guard.

Originally published on September 10, 2004
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:08 pm
Chuckster wrote:
Self congratulations never gets old among a certain ilk. You loyal Americans want to join us at 45 minutes after this hour to remember 4000 innocent victims of alleged terrorists or would you just want to continue to engage in sedition in this time of war and excuse it as an exercise of your franchise of Freedom of Speech?

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/8/6343918_F_tn.jpg

freedom of speech is not a franchise. it is a right.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 05:10 pm
For Chuckster self congratulation is a reflex, not a voluntary action.
0 Replies