To Everything... TURN. TURN, TURN

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:07 am
I shouldn't be, but I am. I'm actually surprised by the swiftness of the Bush administration in turning the Bush missing Guard records into Clintons fault.

I was just watching MSNBC. The reporter asked Bartlett (White House Spokesman) why the White House said in February that all of the records had been released and then have more records come out in September.

His answer: (Not a direct quote)

The missing records were in the hands of a private citizen. That person is now long dead so they can't ask him any questions. But keep in mind that the Clintons, known for going through peoples files, had access to peoples records while in office.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is that about the dumbest spin you've ever heard??? The implication is pretty clear, and yet notice how he just threw it out in real general terms with no name for who had them? And, how did a dead guy get them to the AP??? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 870 • Replies: 19
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:10 am
Well, it makes sense they would put things in general terms. They wouldn't want to get sued for libel.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:12 am
So, the missing records were in the hands of a private citizen, yet the Clintons had access to them while in office? I'm confused.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:14 am
Which makes you no different than the President.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:18 am
Thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:22 am
FreeDuck wrote:
So, the missing records were in the hands of a private citizen, yet the Clintons had access to them while in office? I'm confused.

The implication was that the Clintons took them out and gave them to someone. Someone who is "long dead."

I just report.... You decide. Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:23 am
Setanta wrote:
Which makes you no different than the President.

And apparently the American people.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:48 pm
Records Say Bush Balked at Order
National Guard Commander Suspended Him From Flying, Papers Show

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6693-2004Sep8.html

Is this what he was talking about???

"A spokeswoman for "60 Minutes," Kelli Edwards, declined to say exactly how the new documents were obtained other than that CBS News understood they had been taken from Killian's "personal office file." In addition to the order to Bush to report for a physical, the documents include various memos from Killian describing his conversations with Bush and other National Guard officers about Bush's attempts to secure a transfer to Alabama. Killian died in 1984.

"Phone call from Bush," Killian recorded in a "memo to file" dated May 19, 1972. "Discussed options of how Bush can get out of coming to drill from now through November."

Now what was the purpose of throwing out something about the Clintons having access to peoples records? Did they have access to personal files of someone that died in 1984???
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:14 am
Don't forget about the line:

A time to cast away stones; a time to gather stones together.

I'm not sure where Kitty Kelly fits into this discussion, but right now I'm more into mourning than dancing.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:15 am
Was that George Clinton or Bill Clinton who did it?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:04 am
Neither did it, but the reference was to Bill and Hillary. Bartlett just wanted to plant a little seed of blame. I'm waiting to see if it grows.

The Turn, Turn, Turn is because of the SPIN Bartlett was putting on the story.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:13 am
I thought it was from the book of Ecclesiastes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:15 am
Well, that or The Byrds. Perhaps Bartlett is eight miles high.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
Well, he's got him a house on the ranch
He plays country music* while he lops off a branch
He's a fireman's friend, plays golf with ken lay
But he sure don't think much of the records he plays

He's a drug store truck drivin' man
He's the head of the Ku Klux Klan
When summer rolls around
He'll be lucky if he's not in town
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:45 am
One thing in Bartlett's defence, he has a huge collection of memorable quotes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:25 pm
LOL! Baldimo took the bait! I love spotting the spin and then watching it appear.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
Who is Baldimo? It sounds like a brand of olive oil.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
It's got to be either Ecclesiastes or the Byrd's huh?

Even though the "Turn turn turn" part of it was written by Pete Seeger.

Pete Seeger also laid no claim to Wimoweh which he imported from Africa via Alan Lomax who played him the record. Now Disney is getting sued by the African family whose relative wrote the original tune entitled "Mbube" which is actually how it was pronounced until Seeger altered it.

The Kingston trio covered it and the Tokens made a big hit of it. This link has all the permutations: http://www.bobshannon.com/fred/Mbube%20Listing.html

Credit where it is due.

It seems to me that Ecclesiastes wrote that "vanity, vanity all is vanity and a striving after wind."

And Seeger of course got the bulk of the lyrics from the same biblical source - which did not include the lines "Turn turn turn" if it did speak of the "time to every purpose under heaven etc."

I appreciate the metaphor - but I prefer citing actual sources rather than talking through my hat. The Byrds did do a great cover of that tune, and the Bells of Rhymney another Seeger tune.

Seeger also wrote "Newspaper Men are such Interesting People." But that was back before anyone called a bias "spin."

And Disney should pay that African family they have been exploiting. Seeger never made any dough off that tune. But the Lion King is almost as big as Fahrenheit 9/11!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:53 pm
padmasambava wrote:
It's got to be either Ecclesiastes or the Byrd's huh?

Even though the "Turn turn turn" part of it was written by Pete Seeger.

Pete Seeger also laid no claim to Wimoweh which he imported from Africa via Alan Lomax who played him the record. Now Disney is getting sued by the African family whose relative wrote the original tune entitled "Mbube" which is actually how it was pronounced until Seeger altered it.

The Kingston trio covered it and the Tokens made a big hit of it. This link has all the permutations: http://www.bobshannon.com/fred/Mbube%20Listing.html

Credit where it is due.

It seems to me that Ecclesiastes wrote that "vanity, vanity all is vanity and a striving after wind."

And Seeger of course got the bulk of the lyrics from the same biblical source - which did not include the lines "Turn turn turn" if it did speak of the "time to every purpose under heaven etc."

I appreciate the metaphor - but I prefer citing actual sources rather than talking through my hat. The Byrds did do a great cover of that tune, and the Bells of Rhymney another Seeger tune.

Seeger also wrote "Newspaper Men are such Interesting People." But that was back before anyone called a bias "spin."

And Disney should pay that African family they have been exploiting. Seeger never made any dough off that tune. But the Lion King is almost as big as Fahrenheit 9/11!

This quote gets down to the nitty-gritty stuff that we call assumption. I happen to be a huge Pete Seeger fan, but you didn't know that, did you? If you want information, ask questions, or am I simply striving after wind?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:03 pm
Forgive me for backseat driving, but I've actually had the pleasure of jamming with Pete once.

Any big fan of Pete's is o.k. with me. His brother John was my history teacher and a bit of a story teller. Forgive me for adding my "spin."

I guess the real spinning didn't start until the Grateful Dead. No, you're more striving for meaning than wind, by my estimate.

It's all good stuff! Thanks.
0 Replies