How to handle a huge promotion?

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 05:44 pm
Hi guys.

In a nutshell, I've gone from being a simple accounting clerk for a

large hotel management company to the controller at a small hotel.

My question is about diplomacy. I've been in this

business for twenty-one years and am confidant that I know what I'm doing. My problem has to do with my new associates who

haven't been in the business as long and are having trouble accepting my 'advice'.

I do have the blessings of my

boss ~ bless her heart ~ to do what I feel is necessary, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions in

dealing with people who need to change, but don't want to, etc.....

Thanks in advance!
Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,250 • Replies: 38
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 07:54 pm
Briefly, NO.

Sadly, there are few in the hospitality business besides

owners who see themselves in a permenant position. Poorly motivated as they are, the assume they would be difficult to

replace. Considering the number of people who really aspire to front desk, they just may be right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 08:27 pm
First of all,

don't tell 'em they need to change. They hate that.

Roger may well be right about the motivation factor, but

generally speaking, what works best is to get them involved and invested and let THEM decide things need to change for X (a

good thing) to happen. That can take a while, but it has great dividends -- a loyal staff who are willing to go above and

beyond.

So figure out what goals you have, how people's roles correllate with those goals, be respectful, clue them

in, show that you're willing to work just as hard or harder than you expect them to, and things will fall into place

eventually.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 08:29 pm
Thanks, Roger. Fortunately, I learned a very long time ago that I can be

replaced ~ in fact, this was drilled into my head. I don't take my job for granted ~ one of the reasons I was so shocked at

my lay-off. Nevermind.....

I've pretty much made up my mind to be as kind as I can to everyone. What's gonna

happen is gonna happen ~ my loyalties lie with the person who gave me this job.....And fortunately, her morals are pretty

high ~ so, at least I don't have to worry about giving my loyalty to a rat.

If my associates are smart, they'll tow

the line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 05:03 am
Rae - these people you feel need to change - were they already on the job before you got there? How long have you been working with them? Can you think of any specific benefit to them or making the changes you are thinking of? I might have more suggestions with that information.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 09:28 am
(Sorry I posted twice -- that was right when Craven was asking people to log off, which Id idn't know bcause I was composing this, and I got two "error" messages.)

I am also curious about the answers to ehBeth's questions. In terms of "toeing the line", I think you want to be careful about setting yourself up for a power struggle. It's infinitely easier to manage a group who want to work for you than a group who are looking for every opportunity to subvert authority, since authority is all that's keeping them in line. Do you see what I mean?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:00 am
Yep, I do see what you mean, Sozobe. And I pretty much don't do what you have suggested that I don't!

In my defense.....I'm not trying to 'change' anyone.....But trying to teach them the correct way to run a hotel. The current staff has been under the direction of a gm who should have retired ten years ago and he really doesn't give a rat's ass about the hotel. The challenge I'm up against is re-training everyone. I've been put in this position because I came up through operations ~ my boss is strictly a sales gm.

Today for instance, I had to tell our main day clerk that the house phone is for guests/visitors only. (The hotel shares property with an apartment complex.) She told me that she'd rather be courteous to people. Fine and dandy, but in the meantime, we have people from the apartments hanging out in the lobby waiting to use a free phone to make calls. Not cool.

This same clerk complains all day long about things that she needs to do and how she can't get her work done because of the phone constantly ringing (her job to answer it) and people coming to the desk (her job to service them).....but I can tell you that I've actually timed her personal phone calls, which are often. I've also timed her 'complaints' to associates, her smoke breaks, etc.....

I'm just looking for tactful ways to get my point across without seeming like a complete snob. I'm not a 'manager' and I don't pretend to be. I'm a bean counter for gooness' sake!

I need all the 'people' help I can get!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:23 am
Rae, how long have you been in this new position? How long has most of the other staff been there?

Please be sure you don't get caught 'timing' anyone just yet. A revolution can be mounted very quickly if you're the newbie there, and they have a sense that you aren't 'with' the staff that was there before you were.

I would have some more specific ideas, as I'm sure sozobe and others would, but we need more information about the history.

Thinking of this as a 'teaching' project will not be helpful to anyone. You'll alienate them before you get started. You really need to look at how any changes you are proposing, or requiring, are going to be of benefit to the staff involved.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:28 am
I'm trying to do what my boss has asked me to do ~ which is 'weed' out the staff.

I'll try to give some more specifics later ~ right now I'm running late for work! On a Saturday!
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:30 am
Specifically, about the clerk you have been timing - I'd suggest you ask her to keep track of what she needs to do, how long it takes etc., for you. Have her buy into you trying to help her make her job more manageable. There are 'tools' available for this type of thing, but I'm sure you can devise a fairly simple log for her to use (i do suggest asking for her help in the development of it - ask her what things she needs to do each day as well as what things she is asked to do - put all of those things on the log, and leave space for her to add other things that come up).

Having her believe that you are trying to help her decrease the annoying parts of her job, or figure out ways to make them more manageable/less annoying will go a long way to making this a success. It will show her how she is spending her day and there is a more than even chance that it will also make other staff more likely to believe you when you approach them about changes as well.

These are adults, and the approach you need to take is very different from when you are trying to work with children or younger people.

If this kind of HR work is going to be part of your job on an ongoing basis, I do recommend that you take some courses.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 10:00 am
Hi Rae,

I do remember what it was like to suddenly be thrust into a managerial position. And if it's your responsibility to make sure the clerk doesn't let the customers use the phone for free, and to even "weed out" the less-than-stellar employees, I hate to break it to ya, but you're a manager! Very Happy

One starting point I could see is to try to find out what the employees thought of the previous manager. That can really help you figure out what route to take. THEY might have really disliked him, too -- that kind of disorganization can translate to late paychecks, or tyrranical policies, or all kinds of things that you can promise to rectify to help get them on board.

If they DID like him, you definitely have to tread more lightly. Do a lot of listening.

Also, do you have an employee handbook? Does it cover things like use of the phone? I worked at a company where employees would regularly get chastised for doing things that they didn't know were against the rules -- REALLY bad for morale. A handbook makes things nice and clear, and you can solicit some input to help employees feel more invested. Include not just rules but benefits, employee rights, etc.

Maybe find out more from your boss about this "weeding" business, too... is it because the staff have some issues that can be solved if they are more motivated and informed? Or does your boss expect that a certain percentage of the staff are going to go bye-bye, no matter what? And if so, why? Is it a money thing? If the staff increase profits to ____, can more of them stay? Can that be a motivator, rather than just up and getting rid of them? Is it a replacement thing, hiring new people rather than elminating positions? Etc.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but all of this makes a difference in what advice I'd give, as ehBeth says. (And she has some great suggestions btw.)

Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 10:15 am
Sounds like you've been there, sozobe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 10:28 am
Sozobe- The idea of an official employee handbook is crucial. It is very important, especially when you are dealing with non-professional employees, to provide very clear structure of work expectations. In that way, there is never a problems of "Well, so and so did this or that, why can't I?".

I remember, when I was an assistant to my director, I collaborated with her in writing up an employee handbook, with detailed job descriptions. Each new hire was given one, so that they knew exactly where they stood within the organization.

The important thing is to set out rules clearly, allowing for some flexibility where appropriate. The employee needs some latitude where it would not impact adversely on the organization. IMO, you need to be structured, but
allow for contingencies. There is nothing worse for an employee to feel that he is tied by rules that make no sense.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 11:05 am
uh oh

given the 'weeding' direction your boss has given, you will have to proceed with extreme caution. I've seen too many 'weeders' be the final 'weedee'.

you've got a few 'experts' around here - take advantage of it - and do give serious consideration to some management courses.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:50 pm
Wow! You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas.

I've been totally overwhelmed in my short time at this hotel and made the decision today to slow down (otherwise I'll kill myself).

Instead of trying to implement anything right now, I'm just going to watch, listen and learn. I don't want to become everyone's buddy or enemy ~ I want everyone there to know that I am completely nuetral. For now.

We do have an employee handbook, as well as new rules that need to be inserted ~ it has come to task for me to explain everything at the next staff meeting. Oh joy.

Roger should be able to back me up when I say that employee turn-over in this industry is mind boggling. The reason for the weeding out is because every person at this property makes way above the industry standard for their position. Most have never worked in a hotel and some have only been employed at this one for a few months or more.

The kicker is that this is a distressed property ~ it's been in the red for ages and yet people have been hired at premium salaries (prior to new management coming in). So, no one really 'wants' to fire everyone and start over, but sometimes this very thing does happen ~ at least that's been my experience in hotels.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on ~ I hope ya'll won't get tired of hearing them!

Thanks again for all the great ideas.....I'll keep you posted. Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 02:12 pm
Good plan to slow down a bit, Rae. Trying to implement a lot of changes at once almost guarantees disaster, and as the 'face' of the change, you'd be the one the owners would look at.

The person who hired you to implement the changes, have they been change artists at other properties? Can you discreetly find out their experience with this kind of thing?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 03:09 pm
Hi ebeth~

Yep, my boss is actually quite experienced with turning around distressed properties ~ she doesn't know why, but it's her niche. And, I have had the opportunity to be employed at four properties where control has changed hands ~ at one of them, the general manager position was filled four different times in under a year.

Slowing down will be best for everyone. I think we have a good 'core' team and we'll only go up from here.....

The 'changes' will happen, but by the time we're able to impliment them, hopefully we'll have the staff behind us in our plans.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 04:04 pm
Roger, yup, I've been in a similar position. My first job out of college was as the coordinator of a small program, with two staff members, which I parlayed into my own center, with 8 staff members and ~50 clients at a time. Started out with fairly good instincts but a lot of naivete, got sophisticated pretty fast (by necessity.)

Rae, I agree, slowing down and staying neutral sounds good. Will help you get the lay of the land so you can figure out what to do next. I'm glad you feel you have the support of your boss -- that's important.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 04:09 pm
The support she's giving me is kinda scary, sozobe! She has my resume, she's seen my experience at work and my previous employer gave me an outstanding recommendation that I don't know if I can live up to!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:16 pm
Hi Rae,

Quote:
Don't drop your pose

:WINK:
0 Replies