Log Cabin Republicans Won't Endorse Bush!

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:24 am
I wondered, when I saw Andrew Sullivan's great article after Zell Miller's speech. Cool!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=4&u=/nm/20040908/ts_nm/campaign_bush_logcabin_dc_5
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:30 am
Better link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/08/politics/campaign/08repubs.html

Moderate, schmoderate.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:32 am
Talk about the other shoe dropping. I wondered how long it would take those guys to realize that the GOP really does not have their best interests at heart...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:52 am
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:53 am
from the article:

Quote:
in a statement afterward, Patrick Guerriero, executive director of Log Cabin Republicans, cited exit polls showing that more than one million gay men and lesbians voted for Mr. Bush in 2000. That included 45,000 in the pivotal state of Florida, which Mr. Bush carried by roughly 500 votes.

"Some will accuse us of being disloyal," Mr. Guerriero said. "It was actually the White House who was disloyal" to those gay voters, he continued.

uh-oh for Bush. 1 million gay and lesbian voters missing? That may be a small problem...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:54 am
:-D

I mean those 1 million voters can and will think for themselves... they might not all do anything about the LCR lack of endorsement. But still...

:-D
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:59 am
They'll have to disenfranchise a million more African American voters now to offset their loss of the gay conservative vote.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
Carter Calls Miller's GOP Speech Disloyal
Carter Calls Miller's GOP Speech Disloyal
Tue Sep 7, 7:24 PM ET
By JEFFREY McMURRAY, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Former President Jimmy Carter is accusing fellow Georgia Democrat Zell Miller of "unprecedented disloyalty" for the senator's speech at the Republican convention.

In a letter sent over the weekend, Carter also called Miller's speech "rabid and mean-spirited."

"By now, there are many of us loyal Democrats who feel uncomfortable in seeing that you have chosen the rich over the poor, unilateral pre-emptive war over a strong nation united with others for peace, lies and obfuscation over the truth and the political technique of character assassination as a way to win elections or to garner a few moments of applause,"

Carter's office declined to release the letter Tuesday, but Miller's office confirmed the contents.

Miller responded Tuesday by repeating his contention, made in the convention speech last week, that the security of his family outweighed any loyalty to the party where he has spent a lifetime.

"John F. Kennedy warned about the dangers of extreme party loyalty and once said, 'What sins have been committed in its name,'" said Miller, who plans to retire in January as a Democrat. "My first loyalty is and always will be my family."

Carter also defended himself against Miller's accusation in the speech that Carter was a pacifist. Carter said he served in the Navy from 1942 to 1953 and, as president, strengthened the nation's military.

This isn't the first time the two former governors have clashed since Miller began disagreeing with Democrats on key policy matters.

Last December, Carter said Miller had betrayed the principles he thought the two shared. Carter said former Gov. Roy Barnes' decision to appoint Miller to the Senate was a mistake.

In December, Miller called Carter a friend of more than 40 years who had written him at least a dozen personal notes.

"Half of them are giving me hell, and the other half are bragging on me," he said. "So, I figure I'm doing OK batting .500 with Jimmy Carter."
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:38 pm
Miller just might as well come out of the closet and admit that he is a Republican.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:43 pm
Miller went too far, his speech was not only mean-spirited and rabid, but he went out of his way to hurt Kerry. I think Miller is pondscum.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:45 pm
Log Cabin Republicans has a ring to it. It sounds a bit like 'Skinheads and Lumberjacks United for Kerry.'

You can dress a radical idea in pinstripes and behave in every way shape and form like a conservative, but face it, honey, if that's your persuasion you aren't one of them! :wink:
0 Replies