Why are countries like America and Japan so monolingual?

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 02:12 pm
People usually complain and judge people by color which I don't like. There is a proverb that is "Never judge a book by it cover"; so this should mean that people should look at the different languages in a book and not just EnGlish because people should not be based on colour. America seem to be so western monolingual with EnGlish just like Japan is so monolingual with its Asian language. When learning languages, it should not be just EnGlish to be bilingual but learn other languages too. Judging by languages would probably put an end to racism by colour, "Black people", "Yellow Chink people", "White people" phrases should stop!

As an overseas Chinese, I know that there are some Chinese people that know Germanic and Romance languages other than EnGlish just like me; just like I way I also know Celtic languages in the Pacific. This is different to Japanese people who only know their own Asian language and only want to try to learn EnGlish.

In the African region, the Africans there are different to African-Americans because they also know other languages other than EnGlish. Some African countries like Mauritius, Morocco, Seychelles, Tunisia know French as well and not just EnGish. This is similar to Celtic nations like Ireland countries, Wales, and Scotland that know their Celtic languages and not just EnGlish unlike European-Americans.

There is a Celtic saying that, "A country without a language is country without a heart"; so there should not be racism based on colour or EnGlish language only or one langauge only! No wonder I have heard that some American products probably could not cross over with Japanese products from both American and Japanese companies. I also hope that the Pacific would not be come an EnGlish only region to judge by colour, but learn different languages of what their ancestors originally don't have.

Mar sin leat an-drĂ sta! Celtic goodbye!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 4
No top replies

seac

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:45 pm
@FillCooked,
The newer Japanese generation seems to be expanding to other languages. Seems the major foreign languages are being taught in high schools. For quite a long time, Japanese have been using romaji, which is the Japanese words spelled with English letters. It helps a lot in gaining knowledge of other European languages. You would be amazed at how well some Japanese can speak French, German, Spanish, and even Russian.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:50 pm
@FillCooked,
Why the odd capitalization of English. It is English, not EnGlish.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:05 pm
@FillCooked,
I'd like to hear more about this

FillCooked wrote:
just like I way I also know Celtic languages in the Pacific.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 07:12 am
@ehBeth,
Not quite the Pacific, just a mountain range away.

Quote:
Patagonian Welsh (Cymraeg y Wladfa) is the dialect of Welsh which is spoken in the region of the Argentine Patagonia in South America. The language is spoken principally in Y Wladfa with sporadic speakers throughout Argentina by Welsh Argentines.

Teachers are sent to teach the language and to train local tutors in the Welsh language and there is some sort of prestige of knowing the language, even among those who are not of Welsh descent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_Welsh<br />
0 Replies