German film shows Hitler's tender side

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:42 pm
German film shows Hitler's tender side

Tuesday, September 7, 2004 Posted: 2:58 PM EDT (1858 GMT)

COLOGNE, Germany (Hollywood Reporter) -- A German movie that depicts Adolf Hitler as a soft-spoken man who charms his secretary and lovingly plays with his pet Alsatian is turning into one of the country's most controversial films.

"The Downfall: Hitler and the End of the Third Reich," which opens locally Sept. 16, stars Swiss-born actor Bruno Ganz ("Wings of Desire") as the Nazi dictator in his Berlin bunker during the final days of World War II.

In addition to depicting Hitler not just as a screaming demagogue, "Downfall" breaks one of the last taboos of German cinema by portraying Hitler in a central role.

"It is not the first time (we've seen) Adolf Hitler on the screen, but it is certainly the first time they have tried to discover the human touch in the monster," said Rolf Giesen, head of Berlin's Film Museum.

That approach has sparked fierce debate in the German press, with some critics warning the film could pander to neo-Nazis.

"'Downfall' prompts the question whether one should be allowed to feel sympathy for Hitler," German newspaper the Frankfurter Allgemeine wrote in a recent article criticizing the film.

But leading German newsweekly Der Spiegel, in a cover story, praised Eichinger for giving what it called "the absurd drama" in Hitler's bunker "a real face."

Director Oliver Hirschbiegel's film, which will have its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival September 14, is based on firsthand testimony and recently discovered historical documents recounting the period from April 20, Hitler's last birthday, until May 2, 1945, when the Soviet army stormed the Berlin bunker to find the Fuhrer had committed suicide.

The story is told from the perspective of Traudl Junge, Hitler's last stenographer, who was the focus of the 2002 documentary "Blind Spot -- Hitler's Secretary." Producer-screenwriter Bernd Eichinger's script is based on her memoir, "Until the Final Hour," and "Inside Hitler's Bunker" by famed German historian Joachim Fest.

But the focus of "Downfall," and the source of much of its controversy, is its star. Ganz isn't the first actor to portray Hitler in his final hours. Alec Guinness took on the role in the 1972 feature "The Last Ten Days," as did Anthony Hopkins in the 1981 miniseries "The Bunker."

But Ganz is the first to show the dictator as the ashen-faced wreck witnesses say he was at the end, spitting out hate-filled monologs about the Jews and alleged betrayers, while commanding nonexistent troops into battle as his hands trembled with what historians believe was late-stage Parkinson's disease.

Ganz also has the advantage of speaking in Hitler's distinct Austrian-accented voice. The actor based much of his performance on a recently discovered Finnish radio recording made in 1942. The tape is the only recording in existence on which the Fuhrer can be heard speaking in a normal tone of voice, not the hysterical ranting on display in his public speeches.

Ganz said it was not possible to have any real sympathy for Hitler.

"But I'm not ashamed of the fact that I could feel sympathy for him during fleeting seconds," the actor explained. "If the audience doesn't, at least in certain sequences, feel sympathy for the monster Hitler, then I didn't do my job as an actor."

Movies dealing with the Nazi regime have had a mixed box office history in Germany and, until now, no German film has ever attempted to make Hitler a central dramatic figure. Previous features have relegated the Fuhrer to the background.

Budgeted at $16 million, "Downfall" also is one of the most expensive German-language films of all time and a major financial risk for Eichinger's Constantin Film.

But the company behind "The Name of the Rose" and "Das Boot" is counting on strong crossover potential for "Downfall." Constantin will release the film September 16 in Germany on 400 screens, a wide bow for a German-language production.

"The time is ripe for such a film," Eichinger said. "It's important not just to shed light on one's own history superficially, but rather to tell it from within."

That's a view apparently shared by international distributors. After seeing a 15-minute show reel and an English-language translation of the script, firms in France, Japan, Italy, Russia and the Benelux countries snapped it up.

"Downfall" isn't the only upcoming German production that aims to tell the Nazi story from the inside. A new three-part docudrama, "The Devil's Architect" by director Heinrich Breloer, looks at the life of Hitler's architect Albert Speer and features TV star Tobias Moretti as Hitler. Another new docudrama, "Joseph Goebbels," looks at the Nazi propaganda boss, who is also the subject of an upcoming feature-length documentary, "The Goebbels Experiment," by director Lutz Hachmeister.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,314 • Replies: 68
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:39 pm
The sequel shows Hitler killing his secretary and eating the Alsatian with a side order of fries.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:33 pm
I remember an American made-for-television movie -- The Bunker -- quite a number of years ago in which Anthony Hopkins played Hitler in the central role. It was a far cry from his Hannibal Lecter. He made Hitler seem quite human. Mad, but human.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:38 pm
I did like "The Bunker" more than most films about Hitler. He was flesh-and-blood if almost completely daft and in many ways manipulated by the industrialists.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:12 pm
I think it better to show these folk as the humans they are - rather than as the unhuman monsters we attempt to alienate ourselves from the possibilities of kinship with by seeking to imagine.

Better to embrace their humanity, and confront our own bent to commit such atrocities, than to live in stupid denial of human realities.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:08 pm
"Triumph of the Will"
Leni Riefenstahl's 1930's German propaganda film "Triumph of the Will" . . . brings out, shows - I don't know what words to use here . . . But Hitler's "charisma" is very apparent. All the more chilling, given what we know of the succeeding years!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:21 pm
Scenes from the film here (just click "vor" to get the next one)
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:29 am
thanks for your link Hinteler Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 04:46 am
There's a British TV film about Hitler on UK satelite TV later this week. It stars Robert Carlisle (The Full Monty, Trainspotting) as the wee man. It's had good reviews. I'll try to catch it and post a mini-review here for those who are interested.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:06 am
Dang, not only is the film released on my birthday, it's also the first night of Rosh Hashanah. I think I'll miss the opening.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:19 pm
I quite agree with dlowan. The true horror of a person like Hitler is, not that he was a monster, but that -- on the surface, at least -- he was just like you or me. That is the truly frightening thing -- the realization that a person with an otherwise pleasant personality could be a sociopath. We probably meet people like that every day and think they're just regular joes.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:50 pm
I watched a movie last year with Hitler as the central role, he was portrayed as a crazy revolutionary "artist"...and not very charismatic at all...and in fact the film was aweful...I cannot recall the name of it, though.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
Regular Johanns come from Austria.

Regular Joes... the kind you could sit down and have a beer with... come from TEXAS.

I find it shocking how a regular Joe could ravage and lay waste to all within reach... merely to spite his impending conqueror.
The next 7 weeks could have quite a legacy...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:33 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I quite agree with dlowan. The true horror of a person like Hitler is, not that he was a monster, but that -- on the surface, at least -- he was just like you or me. That is the truly frightening thing -- the realization that a person with an otherwise pleasant personality could be a sociopath. We probably meet people like that every day and think they're just regular joes.

You're right! Despite the face-to-face impression, okay besides the several martinis :wink: Drunk Shocked Very Happy , I am contemplating invading Boston. Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:02 am
The Toronto Film Festival starts today.

Quote:
'Downfall' ("Der Untergang")
SCREENING TIMES:

Tuesday, September 14 09:30 PM ROY THOMSON HALL
Wednesday, September 15 11:45 AM RYERSON

Official festival website

A critic from a Swiss journalist:
Quote:
Date: 7 September 2004
Summary: "Der Untergang" - maybe the best German movie about their darkest chapter

This morning I had the opportunity of seeing "Der Untergang" in a press preview. "Der Untergang" gives us an inside look of the last days of Adolf Hitler and his surrounding staff in the "Führerbunker" in Berlin.

The story is told through the eyes of his 22-years-old secretary Traudl Junge who was like many other Germans fascinated by their leader. The Swiss actor Bruno Ganz gives a very impressive performance as Hitler, he succeeds in showing us the "normal" man and not only the evil monster.

But the movie not just focuses on this one man, it makes very clear that Hitler was supported by many other important men and women.

Most part of the dialog is authentic, the atmosphere in the bunker is very realistic, almost claustrophobic ( like in Petersons "Das Boot" ).

The permanent sound of the exploding bombs, that indicate the arriving of the Russian Army, gives the viewer a feeling of being him/ herself inside the bunker. But the main achievement of the movie is that it reflects the microcosmo of different characters of the Third Reich, all impressive played by the leading German actors. The script gives us no main characters we could identify with. "Der Untergang" is maybe the best German movie about their darkest chapter of History
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
See, I knew, LWIzard, that despite your pleasant personality etc...etc...
Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:45 pm
You'd best get out the pop guns 'cause I'm comin' with rubber bands and spitballs provided by Kerry.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:18 pm
I don't agree that Hitler was an ordinary guy like you and me.

By the end of World War I, Hitler's ideas and prejustices were fixed and were to change very little during his life. In his book "Mein Kampf", Hitler said of his days in Vienna:

"In this period, there took shape within me a world picture and a philosophy which became the granite foundation of all my acts." The purpose of the book was to establish himself as leader of the Nazi Party. ( The two volumes made him rich.)

From his youth to his death Nationalism, anti-Bolshevism, a Darwinistic theory of struggle, purity of blood, were seen as raising man above the animal world. The corollary is that such values as pacifism and Christian virtues create weakness and cowardice. Of course, anti-Semetism was the core of his idiology which he clearly explained in "Mein Kampf." Jews were the racial tuberculosisd of Europe.

Does this sound like you and me? I think not.

This all-consuming anti-Semetism made the Jew the embodiment of every ill of society including capitalism, anarchism, communism, lesbian and homosexual magazines, Women smoking and abortion.

Does this sound like diowan, Merry Andrew and BillyFalcon?
I don't think so.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:57 am
I don't think that's the point, though, Billy. The fact that Hitler believed all this bilge doesn't change the fact that he put his trousers on one leg at a time, same as you or me; liked the opera and other music; probably told a joke now and then; laughed; farted; doted on his dogs etc. etc. etc.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:36 am
dlowan wrote:
I think it better to show these folk as the humans they are - rather than as the unhuman monsters we attempt to alienate ourselves from the possibilities of kinship with by seeking to imagine.

Better to embrace their humanity, and confront our own bent to commit such atrocities, than to live in stupid denial of human realities.

Well said.

I never heard of the bunker with hopkins, but I will try to watch it sometime it sounds good.
0 Replies