Important

Nadi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:27 am
Describe the develoopment of US politics philosophy from WWII to the present
in what ways did it change ....to the better or to the worse?? or is it still the same
what was the impact of the war on the US
plz i hope to get information about this subject
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,805 • Replies: 26
No top replies

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:30 am
Homework alert.

Go to a library. Chat with the reference librarian.

Develop an outline.

Take notes.

Write a draft.

Revise, proof read.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:31 am
Bingo.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:34 am
Sorry for the abrupt response. But you will need to do this work yourself.

It's a rather broad topic. (The Cold War, Tha UN, Vietnam, The Middle East, ...)

How long is the paper you're writing? You may want to narrow your focus. Check on that with your teacher.

This is a project that will need to be done in stages. It may seem a bit overwhelming now, but if you break it down, it will be a lot easier. And the library is, as I said above, a must.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:39 am
always kinda weird

the site is advertised as a knowledge exchange - ask the experts

and there is a ton of good information here

but, still ... people need to do their own assignments

or go to Google, and pay for the answers
0 Replies

Nadi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:39 am
chill angie.... i have problems with the english language i am seeking help for my gov't class, i know i need to do this work by myself but i am asking for opinions about this subject
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:40 am
Describe the develpment ... doesn't sound like a request for opinions.

Perhaps if you put together your ideas, and asked for some help in terms of phrasing etc. ...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:45 am
Well Nadi, you are certainly welcome to search the politics forum for threads pertaining to your topic if you need to get some ideas for where to begin your research. The subject you posted is way too loaded for us to respond to as is.
0 Replies

Nadi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
like i said guys...English is my 2nd language and i dont know much about the American government or the history or whatever it is
anyway thx but there is no need to make this big of a deal about what i posted
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:55 am
Nadi,

The US philosophy of politics is extremely complex. Immediately after WW2, America had a role in defining how the world would be shaped, but due to the incessant whining of the liberal democrats that were also elected here and there, America did not take it's position as a dominant power.

Had the US made better decisions regarding world policy and instead of caving to the liberal movement of the 60's the world would not be in the crappy condition that it is now. We could have eliminated world hunger, but liberals didn't want to interfere in other countries. We could have eliminated the majority of diseases that still plague third world countries, but the liberals didn't want to interfere in other countries. We could have eliminated a lot of the needledd deaths due to poor sanitation, poor water supplies, and poor managmemnt of raw materials, but the liberals didn't want to interfere with other countries.

As time has passed, america has gotten so weak from the repeated crushing force of liberalism that we were able to be attacked on our own soil. An appalling act that has demonstrated beyond a doubt how weak we had become.

Now, thankfully, we have George Bush and his magnificient cabinet that have decided that enough was enough and that the US should be made strong again. They have demonstrated that the US is a world power for a reason and that we should not be afraid to flex our power when we need to.

I hope that has helped you.
0 Replies

Nadi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:00 am
im so thankful to u McGentrix ...Smile what u've posted gave me an idea of what was this all about, coz believe me its so hard for a foreigner to learn about the American political life.
thx again
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:01 am
McG, I thought it was conservatives that were against the sort of nation building you describe.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:34 pm
Nadi,

I did apologize for my initial abrupt response, and I did offer some suggestions. If I may, I would offer one more: be careful not to accept everything offered to you here on this thread as "fact". Some people, extreme right-wingers for example, may show up and offer absurd, inaccurate, unfounded, narrow generalizations and try to pass them off to you as facts.

It sounds as if you have been asked to write a research paper. As I suggested, go to the library and speak with a reference librarian. It's his/her job to help find sources for projects such as yours. Your instructor may also have some source suggestions.

Then create an outline. Do some reading. Take notes. Create a draft. Edit and proof. Going through this process will be an invaluable learning experience for you.

I wish you well.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:41 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McG, I thought it was conservatives that were against the sort of nation building you describe.

and mcg., i thought conservatives were against ideological indoctrination of the students.....
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:07 pm
skewed vision
McGentrix wrote:
As time has passed, america has gotten so weak from the repeated crushing force of liberalism that we were able to be attacked on our own soil.

Nadi:

McGentrix has given you an example of skewed vision. He simply thinks "liberalism" is the root of all evil. However, he is wrong. The love of money is the root of all evil. The terrorist attack of 9/11 cannot be blamed on "liberalism." McGentrix hasn't helped you at all.

Others can probably argue much more effectively that the blame for 9/11 must be borne by the corporate-welfare mongers a/k/a "conservatives" of the Republican Party who prey upon others and especially prey upon the fears and biases of weak-minded Americans for the sake of their own greed.

Why do the terrorists of the third world countries hate the U.S. so much that they would orchestrate an attack? It's not because the liberals have historically fought for civil rights--but leave it to McGentrix to blame 9/11 on the legacy of the hippies. ROFL
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:48 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

and mcg., i thought conservatives were against ideological indoctrination of the students.....

Only by wussy liberal teachers...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Only by wussy liberal teachers...

Laughing
0 Replies

Nadi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:57 pm
angie wrote:
Nadi,

I did apologize for my initial abrupt response, and I did offer some suggestions. If I may, I would offer one more: be careful not to accept everything offered to you here on this thread as "fact". Some people, extreme right-wingers for example, may show up and offer absurd, inaccurate, unfounded, narrow generalizations and try to pass them off to you as facts.

It sounds as if you have been asked to write a research paper. As I suggested, go to the library and speak with a reference librarian. It's his/her job to help find sources for projects such as yours. Your instructor may also have some source suggestions.

Then create an outline. Do some reading. Take notes. Create a draft. Edit and proof. Going through this process will be an invaluable learning experience for you.

I wish you well.

thx angie....its not a research paper. it's what the instructor is trying to talk about in my class, and he doesnt seem very wise to explain everything. i know i can get help from any library or from any site, but i was asking for oppinions to understand what the instructor is saying in class, plus he doesnt use a book so i can refeer to and get information to make me understand the concept. that was the whole thing, and thx for ur suggestions but maybe i found it little easier to check online and get people from all around US to talk about this thing
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:13 am
American Politics
The stock market crash of 1929 and the long depression of the dirty 30's took its toll on American citizens. We were fighting our way back to economic recovery.

Prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the United States was in "isolationism" mode. We weren't willing to intercede and commit our limited resources and the lives of our men to a war that was not ours----but our hand was forced.

The bombing of Pearl Harbor launched us into World War II. The war infused the American economy with tons of money. After all, the war machine needs to be fed with a heavy influx of labor and the use of raw materials for manufacturing the instruments of war . . . .

The United States emerged from World War II as a world power. (After all, we developed the "bomb.")

Thereafter, we became overwhelmed by the "red scare" and the arms race. We were fearful of communism--the spread of communism--and the cold war was occupying the center stage of American politics.

We were afraid of the "subversive" activities of Communists who were allegedly infiltrating our country. We went through the McCarthy Era in the '50's when many citizens were called before the Congressional Committee for "UnAmerican" Activities and were required to submit the names of other persons who were members of subversive organizations.

During the 1950's, "liberal" Americans (those who believed in equal rights for all persons--including persons of color) launched a more aggressive and organized civil rights movement to remedy discrimination against black people and to make the separation of the races unlawful. America has a shameful history of discrimination.

Contrary to McGentrix's assertion, the activities of the liberals in their fight for equal rights for all citizens did not weaken America. On the contrary, our nation spent tons of money on the military, on the cold war, on espionage, and on the space war.

The Civil Rights Movement made significant strides--and the 1960's saw the United States Supreme Court (the "Warren Court") give teeth to the people's rights as protected by the United States Constitution. (Because the Warren Court required the government to respect the people's rights, the Warren Court is viewed as "liberal." Is that a dirty word? According to some, it is. . . .)

In October 1962, our democratic president John F. Kennedy (JFK) (another "liberal" as McGentrix would say), successfully thwarted the USSR effort to place missiles in Cuba. (The Cuban Missile Crisis.) This event could have launched us into a nuclear war with the USSR--but our heroic (and intelligent) president and his brother Robert F. Kennedy (RFK) were "able to resist the war lust and manipulations of the Joints Chiefs of Staff (JCS)," and "they were able to maintain peace and not fire their weapons."

(JFK was a true leader--a strong leader--an effective leader. Our current president can't even walk in JFK's shadow.)

On November 22, 1963, JFK was assassinated. (And then the alleged assassin, purportedly a communist, was murdered.)

"He didn't even have the satisfaction of being killed for civil rights . . . . It's — it had to be some silly little Communist." — Jackie Kennedy, on hearing that a leftist had been arrested for her husband's murder. [How convenient to blame the communists!]

Many Americans believe that JFK's assassination was orchestrated by the war-mongers who merely used "some silly little Communist" as their scapegoat. JFK would not have agreed to escalate American involvement in Vietnam----but his vice president, Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ), could be persuaded. . . .

LBJ's decisions escalated Vietnam and involved the U.S. military beyond the point of no return. In 1964, LBJ asked Congress for sweeping powers in Southeast Asia. He used those powers in 1965 to deploy the first American combat troops in South Vietnam and started retaliatory bombing raids against the North.

On April 4, 1968, civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, was assassinated.

In 1968, with the anti-war sentiment gaining momentum, LBJ could not bear the double pressure of waging a war and facing Robert Kennedy in the Democratic primary. On March 31, 1968, LBJ announced a halt to the bombing in North Vietnam. On June 5, 1968, Senator Robert F. Kennedy was campaigning for the presidency. He was assassinated on his way to give a press conference, after winning the California Primary.

To this day, we are plagued with conspiracy theories concerning the murders of our foremost civil rights leaders--the "liberals." RFK's assassination eliminated the "liberal" and the leading democratic competition in the presidential race, and the "conservative" republican party took power. Richard M. Nixon was elected president.

[It is amazing that McGentrix would blame the "liberals" for making America "weak." Would America be stronger today if the Blacks were still the blatant victims of discrimination, if our Supreme Court did not enforce the Constitution it became a meaningless piece of paper, and if JFK had followed the advice of the JCS and launched our country into nuclear war with the USSR? Nevertheless, people were threatened by these amazing leaders of our nation----and they ended up dead----assassinated.

Under Nixon's leadership, the Vietnam conflict escalated into a horrendous disaster.

Quote:
President Nixon faced a dilemma in Vietnam. Americans demanded that American forces be withdrawn but without American troops in Vietnam Nixon could not force the Vietnamese to recognize South Vietnam. "Vietnamization", a policy designed to turn over the nation's defense to South Vietnam, was the solution; or so Nixon hoped.

Vietnamization never worked because the South Vietnamese could not beat back the North Vietnamese alone. Nixon turned to American airpower, authorizing bombing raids into Cambodia. The president kept these raids secret. The raids did not force the North Vietnamese to make peace. Anti war protests were staged across the nation in October after the information was leaked to the public. Anti war sentiment grew with news of the My Lai Massacre. Nixon's escalation of the war into Cambodia did not find North Vietnamese troops and it enflamed anti-war protestors. On May 4, 1970, National Guard troops fired on student protestors at Kent State University killing students, two of whom where just walking to class. Ten days later state police shot and killed two black students at Jackson State College in Mississippi. The nation had erupted in violence. Troops were withdrawn and peace talks dragged on; Vietnamization foundered. The New York Times published the Pentagon Papers in 1971 despite Nixon's attempts to have the Supreme Court block publication. The papers revealed that Johnson had misled the American public to believe the war was winnable. Public support eroded further and North Vietnam invaded further south. Finally on January 27, 1973 American, South Vietnamese, North Vietnamese, and Viet Cong negotiators signed a peace agreement in Paris. For the United States, at least, the war in Vietnam was over. The peace agreement did not guarantee South Vietnam's survival nor was North Vietnam required to withdraw its troops. Between the time Nixon took office in 1969 and the 1973 cease-fire 20,000 more Americans were killed and 600,000 North and South Vietnamese were killed. It was seen by many as a heavy price for such a flawed peace.

The Vietnam War lasted from 1965 to 1973--we ended the atrocious war in disgrace--we lost more than 58,000 American sons in senseless death--and lost many thousands more in more ways than one after they returned home due to post-traumatic distress. Our soldiers came home embittered--often feeling unappreciated and labeled "baby killers" due to the My Lai Massacre--and knowing that their blood was splattered all over Vietnam for a war that they weren't allowed to win.

(And people wonder why Vietnam has so molded and affected our current presidential hopeful, Kerry---a Vietnam War veteran.)

Nixon was eventually forced to resign due to the Watergate scandal and under the threat of impeachment. "I'm not a crook," he said.

That brings us up to the 1970's. This gives you a little idea how events after WWII have shaped American politics. . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:16 am
I think between McG and Debra's posts you have a pretty good place to start.
0 Replies