Move to make circumcision illegal

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:46 am
Circumcision Opponents Use the Legal System and Legislatures

By ADAM LIPTAK

[]ARGO, N.D., Jan. 16 — Josiah Flatt, like about 60 percent of other newborn American boys, was circumcised soon after he was born here, in the spring of 1997. Two years later, his parents sued the doctor and the hospital.
They did not contend that the circumcision was botched or deny that Josiah's mother, Anita Flatt, had consented to the procedure in writing. They said, instead, that the doctor had failed to tell them enough about the pain, complications and consequences of circumcision, removing the foreskin of the penis.
I know we are a litigious society and lawyers are always in search of new frontiers or ways to drum up business. What do you think of the latest ploy? I think it can only be termed as frivolous and it and it's instigators thrown out of court. What your opinion?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/23/national/23CIRC.html?todaysheadlines
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,890 • Replies: 244
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:56 am
In this big a country, you can get somebody to agree with anything, huh?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 12:26 pm
Let's see.. The mother doesn't deny that she signed the papers or had the procedure done and she also contends that the procedure is painful, etc..

I think the state should intevene and remove the child from the home since apparently the parents now openly admit they are abusive.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 12:30 pm
fishin'- I love your answer. It's about time that somebody socked it to those litigious people who will make a law suit out of nothing!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:03 pm
The headline in this mornings paper was that the suite against McDonalds was thrown out? I think that McDonalds should sue the plaintiff on the grounds that they have done damage to their business. That, I should think, is the only way to keep people from filing frivolous suites
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:14 pm
The suit is ridiculous. Period.

HOWEVER -- I didn't know in advance whether the sozlet would be a boy or girl, and did a lot of research on circumcision, and was rather appalled. I ended up being really glad I didn't have to make the decision. I can get links if anyone is interested in that underlying issue (not the dumb lawsuit.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:15 pm
Oh no Soz! The idea of circumcision is a bit painful in itself. Given the alternatives, I rather prefer the talk of dumb lawsuits thanks! Very Happy lmao
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:23 pm
Hee hee. Laughing

OK, just from that article, then:

Quote:

This seems like a more legitimate means to the same end.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:50 pm
I'll tell you how the options were explaned to me in a Red Cross Mother and Baby Care class. "You can have it done or not, exactly as you prefer, but sooner or later, someone is going to have to teach little junior how to keep himself clean. That person's name is usually 'Daddy'." Sorry 'bout that kid!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 03:59 pm
This is an invasive procedure and parental consent should have been obtained, before hand.

What other "procedures" were performed, unknown to the parents? Rolling Eyes b
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 04:04 pm
She did consent, in writing. They're arguing that basically a parent can't give consent for a child, for one (the kid could grow up and sue the parents -- wanna bet that suit's gonna happen any day now). The other part they're saying is that there wasn't enough info for the "informed" part of "informed consent"... they knew it would be unpleasant, but didn't realize the extent of it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 04:27 pm
New Haven says

Quote:
This is an invasive procedure and parental consent should have been obtained, before hand.

It always is.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
Quote:
they knew it would be unpleasant, but didn't realize the extent of it.

Unpleasant for who?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 04:39 pm
From the article, in addition to what you already excerpted:

Quote:
Josiah Flatt's case appears to be the first to go to trial based on the theory that the absence of an exhaustive medical briefing about the risks and benefits of circumcision is tantamount to a lack of informed consent.

Among the possible complications in the operation are excess bleeding, infection and ulceration and occasional permanent damage to the penis.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 05:45 pm
Just plain stupid.
Next thing you know we'll have all kinds of stupid suits...
oh wait...we already do. Rolling Eyes
This one though...takes the cake for this week...although its running neck and neck with McDonalds.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 05:56 pm
Lawsuits aside, circumcision is not necessary. Why put someone through it?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:05 pm
I have heard many men say that if they are circumsized, so should their sons be, for pyschological reasons alone, and I agree with that.
I think it should be an available choice to those who wish to have the proceedure, not to mention those whose religions become involved.
I also am waiting on the results of a fairly interesting study that is taking place in South Africa. It seems that those men beloging to tribes/living in areas, etc that are circumsized have lowered AIDS/HIV statistics. So far, the study proved not that it is a conclusinve element but, that a percentage can be assisted from a wide epidemic in their area. When this study is concluded it could bring about many other issues concerning circumcision pros and cons as well although, its predominantly regarding the epidemic proportions of AIDS/HIV within areas of South Africa.
Choice...it should be available.
This lawsuit is silly however...for many reasons already listed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:07 pm
Religious considerations aside, I have, over the years, read medical considerations, pro and con. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:11 pm
People in a country like the USA do not need circumcision. I would not fight the religious over it, or those bound and determined to have it, but, none of my family has ever been circumcised that I am aware of. As children of migrant workers, in my immediate family, we only bathed about once a week, sometimes less. None of us ever got any disease as a result.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:15 pm
Anybody have a pet peeve for which they think there is grounds for a suite?
0 Replies