Declawing cats :: Should declawing cats be illegal?

roger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:31 am
Amoebas, Chai Tea. You're thinking of amoebas, and no, they don't scratch furniture, either.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
well, a rather SMALL octopus could fit through a keyhole.

A smallish jellyfish could also, but I don't recommend them as pets at all, and they don't even have claws.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
I completely for got about the small ones. Of course they could.
0 Replies

familytimerags

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 08:37 am
I usually just lurk, unless I feel I can add to the thread. First, I would like to say that there are huge differences in declawing and tail docking.
Tail docking started a long time ago on working breeds to prevent paying taxes. Tail docking is done at approximently at 3 days, before the nerve endings are fully formed. It would be a lot like a boys circumcision, the puppy would never remember, and there are not any long term affects to the process. I am not exactly sure why ear cropping began, other than merely vanity reasons.
Declawing is done at a later age, and if anyone would like more factual information on declawing, my husband has wrote a very long article to help educate cat owners on the negative long-term effects declawing can have on a cat. http://www.familytimerags.com/declaw.html It is a very long read, but worth it for those who don't realize how awful declawing really is.
Trimming a cats nails is very easy, it may take a few times for you and your cat to feel comfortable with this new process, but before long they will sit still while you trim. If you start out with a kitten and get them used to it when they are young, it is much easier when they are older.
I have also used soft-paws, and again, it does take a few times to get adjusted to placing them on the cat, and for the cat to adjust to wearing them, but they do work well for the cat who doesn't take naturally to a scratching surface. Some cats do well with different surfaces, some sisal, some corrugated cardboard, and some carpet, but if you place enough acceptable scratching surfaces around the home, declawing should never, ever be the a first or last resort. I don't want to offend or put anyone down who has declawed their cat, but I do believe that education is the key to help people understand that this process is totally unnecessary.

Thank you,
Stormi
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:49 pm
My God, there's an incredible amount of misinformation in this thread! First, onchectomy (declawing) is not necessarily barbaric, particularly if done at a young age. I personally preferred to do it as close to six weeks of age as possible. At that time, healing is virtually complete within three days, and the pain is considerably lessened. Concerning the "defenseless" declawed cat, all my cats have been declawed, and one of my current ones is the neighborhood bully, as well as the best mouser and bird killer in town. Truthfully, cats use their front claws only to be obnoxious. If they're serious, they use their hinds. I could go on for two or three more pages, but suffice to say that the most accurate posts in the thread concerned octopi and amoebae.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:50 pm
I thought so. They really do block heating vents.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:51 am
CowDoc wrote:
My God, there's an incredible amount of misinformation in this thread! First, onchectomy (declawing) is not necessarily barbaric, particularly if done at a young age. I personally preferred to do it as close to six weeks of age as possible. At that time, healing is virtually complete within three days, and the pain is considerably lessened. Concerning the "defenseless" declawed cat, all my cats have been declawed, and one of my current ones is the neighborhood bully, as well as the best mouser and bird killer in town. Truthfully, cats use their front claws only to be obnoxious. If they're serious, they use their hinds. I could go on for two or three more pages, but suffice to say that the most accurate posts in the thread concerned octopi and amoebae.

Thanks cowdoc

I wouldn't mind more information.

Not for me, as you can see on a previous page I know my cats did not suffer unduly because of declawing, but for others who seem to think this simple procedure not only marks cat owners as sadists, but that the feline is going to walk around in pain for the next 15 to 20 years.

Question - You say 6 weeks!

I'm going to be getting a couple of kittens in the next few months and when I've asked around at vets, it seems they say at least 12 weeks.

I'd love to get them done earlier, at 6 weeks. Can you point me to some further information about that?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:22 pm
I don't really know where further information would be available, because the procedure is precisely the same regardless of the kitten's age. As long as you can hold the claw to extend it so the incision can by made properly across the joint space (taking a piece out of the second phalanx is a bad idea), there should be no difference at all between six and twelve weeks. I would be curious to know why the suggested upper age, to say the least.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 08:28 am
I have no idea why.

Could it have to do with getting spaded or neutered at the same time?

You're not supposed to do THAT at 6 weeks, are you?

Until I get the kittens declawed, they'll have to stay in the back of the house, plenty of room to play, and it'll give our present cat time to adjust.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:30 pm
No, spays and castrations at 6 weeks, although possible, are damned difficult. I wouldn't recommend that at all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
CowDoc,

What about spaying at about 3 - 5 months on cats?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:51 pm
So far as time for the senior cat to adjust, I've tried it both ways, Chai Tea. The last time worked best, and I just brought Barney into the house and dumped him.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
Cowdoc,

I have a question. I have a kitten here at the shelter (3-4 months old) that is walking leaning to one side. It appears there was some drainage coming from his ear. I cleaned it up and can see no injury whatsoever. The cat seems fine except for the leaning. Any clue?
0 Replies

familytimerags

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:32 am
Momma's Angel,

Early spaying and neutering, (early meaning, done before the average 6 months is very safe, and starting to be the preffered method for many vets now. An article that explains it in depth is http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/early-neuter.html
Most cat fancier clubs and specific breed clubs recommend early altering now.

We have been spaying and neutering for a few years now, with great success. The myths of early altering destorying size or urethra problems are just that....myths. The benefits for females are prevention of uterine and mammary cancer and infection, as well as testicular cancer and infection in males. We typically wait until the kitten is approximently 12 weeks old or 2lbs. The heal time is much less with the kittens running and playing the same day, and the incision is much smaller for the kittens. Although now many vets do practice early altering, there are still a few that would rather wait until the more standard 4-6 months old.

Thank you,
Stormi Nell
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:54 am
At risk of bringing the wrath of many on top of me, I'd lean more towards making cats illegal Shocked
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:08 am
Wilso wrote:
At risk of bringing the wrath of many on top of me, I'd lean more towards making cats illegal Shocked

Wilso,

Ok, now you have done it! Cats illegal! OMG! Shocked Where's my gun? Twisted Evil

It's okay, Wilso. I seem to find that with cats people are really more one way or the other. I don't run across too many that are in-between on the topic. I, of course, running a homeless cat shelter, will defend my little babies. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
Hmmm, I guess that's why the pick the 12 week mark in general to do both.

No sense paying 2 vet bills, expecially if it's for more than one cat.

Wilco - no wrath from me.
I understand how some may not like cats. I can also understand why.

I have a friend who when I know he's coming over, I put the girls into a back bedroom with a litter box before he even arrives.. I sensed a long time ago he didn't like them but is too much of a gentleman to complain. So, I just don't make a big deal about it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
Declawing is mean and cruel. If you don't want your cats to tear up your stuff with their natural tendencies, then either don't get a cat or get the little slip on covers for their nails. A vet can sedate your cat and put them on.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:01 pm
Chai - I checked with the lady I sold my practice to today, and she now schedules feline surgeries by weight rather than by age. She figures that, at three pounds, there is enough leeway in the dosage of anesthesia to make the procedure safe. I concur. As far as the leaning cat is concerned, momma angel, that is common with ear infections. The pressure from the inflammation compromises the function of the semicircular canals, thus affecting balance. Eliminate the pressure, and balance will usually return to normal.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:08 pm
CowDoc,

I think you hit it right on the head. I had some ear medicine here for a cat that had an ear infection and I am using it. The cat is already doing much better. Is there anything I need to look out for as far as discharge from the ear or anything? There does seem to be some drainage but it is clear, so it might be the medicine.

I sure do appreciate your advice.
0 Replies