Declawing cats :: Should declawing cats be illegal?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 08:46 am
If you do not like animals with claws -- animals that enjoy using their claws -- don't own a cat.

Declawing a cat, no matter how it is rationalized, is unjustified -- and in my opinion, is inhumane.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
Declawing
Well, seeing how most species of cats and dogs were created not by god, but by human beings, for human needs and human endeavors, then I'd say it's up to humans to decide whatever they want about their little kitty creations.

If you want nice long claws, breed them in.
If you want short stubby knuckles, breed them out.
If you want to keep your subject in an unnatural indoor environment, that is your choice too (link here).

It's your cat. You created it. No one should be able to tell you what to do.
Whatever your choice, please send pictures so we may criticize you the better.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:15 am
One accomplishment of which I am most proud was when I got a full page (complete with photo) MY TURN in NEWSWEEK Magazine.

The topic was my displeasure with my township's decision to pass a law mandating leashes for cats.

Leashes for cats make no sense.

But declawing goes a step beyond that. It is, in my opinion, downright cruel.

If you don't like animals with claws -- don't have a cat living with you. But above all -- do not maim the cat just to have things both ways!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:18 am
We are talking about domesticated, companion animals, not endangered bengal tigers.
Granted....many people shouldnt own animals because they dont take responsibility for the care of those animals, or are lacking in the knowledge however, those who are responsible and take the time to be fully knowledgable should be applauded.
One thing that really cracks me up is all the people who think declawing is inhumane however, they are right up on the bandwagon for spaying and/or neutering...surgical proceedure that hinders a 'natural' life for that animal, of which the animal has no choice. Silly really.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:49 am
No, not silly at all, Quinn.

Except to people with the unwillingness to see the difference.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:21 pm
yeah, kinda my point exactly frank..I guess we can agree on that at least.
0 Replies

paul191

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
in response to fishin'
"lmao So tell me, how is "training an animal" not the same as "changing their pets in any way to suit their needs"? Do you train your pets in ways that don't suit your needs?"

The kind of training I was talking about comes with maturity in any symbiotic relationship. For example, don't scratch or bite your mutual benefactor, it hurts them and they will punish you for it. Also, I think it would be safe to assume that most people here with violent pet problems have kept their pet in-doors for most of the animal's life. If you locked a kid in a box for a majority of his or her life, would they be a little crazy? So, because those owners damage their pets psychologically, their pets go a little nutty and scratch their owner once in a while or claw furniture, they deserve to have their claws ripped outÂ…
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 08:54 pm
My cats are psychologically well mannered, no above average or non cat like strange behavior, and I wasnt worried about scratching or furniture, can very well defend themselves <which sisters will do on occassion-this is healthy behavior>, gosh, you know, most people dont even know they dont have claws because they have such normal cat behavior.
But I must still be a horrible person because I dont think declawing should be made illegal. Which is what this question is about. Its not about how I raise and care for my pets, or others think I should be caring for my pets, or how I think they should be raising their pets.

The question is, Should declawing be made illegal?
Now, if your answer is yes, please provide information regarding how the pet population/euthanasia statistics will change due to such a legal ramification. After finding that information, please go forward and find out about other surgical procedures that others might not agree with, but also are not psychologically harmful, but since it takes away from the animals 'natural' ideal <whatever that is in a domesticated companion animal> and consider the impact of those procedures on the pet population, and get back to me with the information you think this would entail....I see it only as a very dark future for pets and pet owners.

I dont think tail or ear cropping should be illegal however, Im not all that happy with people who do that. However, thats sanctioned by many animal groups, and you'll only hear great and wonderful stories about that for the most part. And really, what is that anyway, just a face lift of sorts right? No problem, its a physical thing that in no way harms the animal pyschologically.

I dont think spaying or neutering should be illegal either, and not enough people do that. Interestingly enough, another matter that many groups dont like because it could harm those 'true' breeds. It doesnt harm the animals pyschologically either though.

Interesting, I didnt know that ture pyschological testing had been tested on animals with true results. I think that true results would include communicating with these animals on a numerous scale. If you do know of this happening, could you please point me in the direction, becuase Id like to know if these girls are upset in any way for not being given the right to bear offspring first and foremost because you know, thats a normal animal instinct. Then I would like to ask them if they value the life they have or if they would rather have been euthanised.

Im thinking that wont ever happen, and until it does, I aint buyin it.
There are many factors behaviorally we can examine to get a glimpse of the stability of an animal, and my experience and research has not proven the point for declawing to be made illegal anymore than it has for the others.

I guess its just how you pick and choose what you think others should and shouldnt do, and how you should impose your views in legal ramifications on their personal choices for the animal they are <supposedly more often than not> taking responsibility of.
If a person is however taking responsibility for an animal, no matter what the form or types of procedures previously performed on that animal <since many adopt older already 'changed from natural' animals> or that they chose to have done by a trained veterinarian under close supervision and with as much information as they themselves would have for their own surgical procedures, which in no way pyschologically or behaviorally will harm that animal, which may even give the animal not only life in most cases, but also a better than previously known or possible future life, I think its a great improvement from the past.

BTW, cats that live in a natural outside environment are ferrals, and umm, those arent good...in fact, I think those are the most violent of cats.
0 Replies

christie33549

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:41 pm
declawing cats
I've had 5 cats, now a 6th..this one is one year old. Fluffy and Fuzzy were spayed but not declawed, a few times they were outdoors but were truly indoor cats. We owned our home and had wood floors so the cats would use boxes in our spare room as scratching posts. Gretchen was a stranger, with claws, and found herself a home with neighbors. When I got Jennifer I was already living in apartments, and for everything cats ruined your one month's deposit was taken from you and the next rental agent was advised your pet was not declawed to it could have meant not being able to rent anywhere again. So Jennifer was spayed and declawed. Katherine was the next and she was a stray, she was spayed and declawed. Luckily for her and me that she was spayed because we found ourselves living in a car and had to ask for housing, one rooms in peoples homes, and we never would have had a roof over our head if she had claws. All 5 of those cats were sweet. The last two became screamers as they got older. One could not defend herself against another cat and against her vet who used barbers shears to the fur on her butt and bit the vet and he responded by knocking her jaw out of place. Later on both cats went to get their teeth cleaned and from that day on they both were screamers.

I'm perplexed in that my newest arrival (one year old) has been spayed, is very active, is already a biter and I could be standing in the middle of the room and she will come over and tackle me, or jump on my back when I'm sitting and I get the claws in my back. The other day when I closed my eyes to sleep and she was looking into my eyes, I thought she would go away, but instead she bit my lip. She also has scrape marks down my bathroom wall, has ruined the window sills, and the apartment rug has a comb-over. She raises my blood pressure when she scratches and I don't know how to solve this. This is the second time I've set the appointment for declawing...and this is my last chance for this and I'm perplexed at what to do. She was sweet when she was tiny and where she gets this attitude I don't know. I thought by declawing I could make it easier for someone else to own her since I'm ready to retire and who knows what the future will bring for me, but either way, declawing or not, I see bad for her. If I pass this appointment up I might be sorry. Wish I had an answer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:11 am
I've already made my feelings known on this subject. I have two very pampered indoor kitties that persisted in destroyed things around my house when I wasn't watching, so I had their front claws removed when they were young. They most certainly are NOT psychologically damaged, and it was a much more humane alternative than getting rid of the cat, which almost certainly would have led to euthanasia.

One point I strongly disagree with...it is not unhealthy to keep cats indoors. In fact, every veterinarian I've ever had insists that it is much healthier. Cats' muscles are made for short bursts of energy, not prolonged running like dogs. Indoor exercise is more than enough to keep them fit. And keeping them indoors reduces their exposure to ear mites, fleas, worms, fights with other animals, infections, and a whole host of diseases. Indoor cats live much longer lives than cats allowed outdoors. And mine are quite satisfied, thank you. They are frisky, affectionate, well-fed and groomed. I expect they will continue to live this happy, privileged life until they are 16 or 17 years old, if my past pet cats are any indicator. Outdoor cats often live much shorter lives filled with pain from illnesses and injuries.

Perhaps it is "natural" for cats to have to endure illnesses, injuries, fleas and attacks from larger predatory animals, but my cats have a better life than that.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
DEEECLAWER!!!!!!

And such.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
In response to Christie
While you may think declawing is the answer for you or even for this kittie in particular it is a serious decision to make. If you are considering adopting out this kitty then I would question it. If you are planning to keep this kitty and are willing to take on the responsibility of a declawed cat, then I dont see anything wrong with it.
Have you tried a squirt bottle for any of these behaviors yet?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:01 pm
I'm definitely with the anti declawing brigade.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:22 pm
Is this any different than people who clip dogs tails or ears? There are more reasons to declaw a cat than just to prevent them from clawing furniture. I had my cats declawed when I was expecting a baby. I understand that if you have a mean cat that would typically scratch a person, they will then resort to biting so it is not a solution for preventing scratching. I know that as much as you love your cats, babies are more important. People do not get rid of their children and keep their pets if their child had an allergy to the pet. Now my cats are very mild tempered, but even a mild tempered cat will scratch you when startled. One time my cat was perched above me on the top of the couch, she lost her balance and in her haste to get her footing scratched my face, missing my eye by just a little. I cannot imagine this happening to a baby or child.

Vets do anaesthetize cats for declawing. My cats act just the same as they did before. I did not have their back claws declawed as they use them for balance and on the rare chance they did get outside, they would still be able to use their back claws to help them climb a tree. My cats are actually afraid of going out.

It is also distressing for cats to have them fixed, but it is rare to hear anyone in support of not having them fixed. Any sort of operation there will be recovery, but after a day or two, my cats were their normal selves. Similar recovery as when they were fixed.

Steissd you sure don't know the cats I knew growing up. My neighbor and friend had several outdoor cats. One cat in particular was known for his attacks. Once when simply walking, the cat jumped from behind a bush, jumped on the leg, dug his claws in and bit me. And the cat knew me well.

I tried soft paws and they did not stay on.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
we had a cat when i had my second child and i wouldn't have dreamt of having him declawed.

I simply taught my daughter, from the beginning, not to mistreat him so that he would have no reason to scratch her.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 03:23 pm
Some people simply should not have cats living with them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 03:41 pm
Vivien - if you read my note thoroughly you should have realized the reason I declawed them was not because I was fearful of them scratching my children. My cats are about the most docile animals you could find. Even if provoted they would not scratch. I was fearful of them in their panic when hearing a noise or anything that caused them to jump to scratch as a reflex.

What would you do if your cat in a reflex scratched your daughter's eye as my cat almost did to me? I'm sorry, but the chance of that happening is worth the two days of discomfort my cats had. My cats are the most pampered loving contented cats you met. One cat you can hear her constant purring from the next room. I also did alot of research before having my cats declawed - including reading various opinions of vets.

I had my cats before I was even married so there were no thoughts of children at the time. I would not have declawed them except for that situation. And I do not regret it at all. My cats still kneed. They act as if they have front claws. So other than than two days/same recovery as when I had them fixed, they are happy and healthly. The other alternative I would have had was to get rid of them.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:08 pm
I agree Frank, there are many irresponisble pet owners of many kinds out there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:50 pm
I'll weigh in as understanding both points of view, and not just to be nicey. A similar divergence occurs among cat lovers re it being horrible to have a cat outdoors or not.

My cats were all indoor outdoor cats and never scratched a thing in the house or did any other house-threatening maneuver. Fear for babies from cats is an age old fear, with probably some basis some time, but that is the last thing I worry about. (I worry about my friend's doberman's paw more, frankly.) There is even some data I read about, sorry, no link, that exposure to animals early seems to preclude or at least diminish chance of allergies later.

As to declawing, I would never do it. I understand people here who say they do and that their cats are happy, and ... heh, alive. Perhaps even happier than an inside outside cat, or an outside cat. Well, hey, what is happiness anyway? Barn cats are pretty happy... But don't scratching posts usually work? (dunno, not experienced with them).

Most of the people who declaw do keep their cats inside the house doors - I think. If they don't, of course that leaves the cat undefended, and that is certainly cruel. The cat may also have a lesser chance for eventual adoption, if that is in the works, but then again, maybe not, maybe not.

I have a friend who has two abyssinians, NEVER out the door. I never noticed if they are declawed or not. Probably.
What lil'smarties! They are surely happy cats, I saw it many times.

On keeping a cat only indoors? I understand it, in a New York City apartment house or in a city house near a busy road, or a rural house where coyotes hover nearby. Find it hard to imagine not letting a cat out into a beautiful secluded garden.

On letting a cat with claws outdoors being horrible, oh, c'mon! Unless the threat is really large, then I understand. But I come around to thinking, is the reason they are never let outdoors because they don't have claws because of the furniture? That seems like the tail wagging the dog.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 04:32 am
still against it - why would the cat scratch your eyes in panic unless you were holding it against its will?

cropping tails/ears on dogs is barbaric as well i agree.
0 Replies