Declawing cats :: Should declawing cats be illegal?

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:38 am
Am I or my cats weird? I have never had a problem teaching them not to claw furniture - or me - I just show them their scratching post and, if necessary, take their paws, extend their claws, and scratch the post using their paws a few times.
0 Replies

Catsangel

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:46 am
To msolga
http://www.janskids.com/IMG_0527.jpg
Now you sound like an intelligent, caring individual! Some people don't feel they have to compromise for anything, people, or pets. Sad, huh?! Tells you something about the kind of person he or she is, doesn't it?

I know many employers now know to take a second look at people who are compromising, sharing, caring -often you can learn so much by pets and their owners! People who take the responsibility for training their pets bcause they care about the pets and about others who must deal with these pets. Then you have those who just aren't fair, want quick fixes, no hassles, and no compromises.

Both people and countries are actually judged on how they treat their animals! Learn something new everyday, don't we?
0 Replies

Catsangel

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:51 am
to dlowan
http://www.janskids.com/IMG_0527.jpg

Wierd? I don't think so! haha- You're just telling like it realy is, simple, natural, without all the dramatics! Good for YOU! *smile* :wink: haha
0 Replies

Catsangel

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 08:55 am
to fishin
Actually- all you would have needed to do is trim them Confused
0 Replies

Catsangel

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:07 am
Woo-Hoo! bigdice67- tell it like it is!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:07 am
Re: f
Phoenix32890 wrote:
fishin'- It may be a pain in the butt, but I can see the wisdom in that sort of solution. Just at first glance, it appears to be "the best of all possible worlds" for both cat and cat owner!

It's not really a pain in the butt. I'd think it's a 10 minute job every month for most people. It is something that you have to do though. Once the caps are on they can't scratch anything to sharpen their claws and remove the tattered ends. If my cat had the ability to retract it's claws I would have stayed with the caps. (They come in way cool colors too so you can match their nails with whatever outfits you put them in! Smile )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:44 pm
Welcome to A2K, Catsangel! Hope you enjoy yourself here. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:23 pm
Cats, due to incompetence on the part of this site's webmaster the subject lines are not too visible and the names to which your posts were addressed might be overlooked.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
Since claws are natural thing with felines, it has never ever crossed my mind to declaw a cat. I've never ever thought about deniying anybody of his his rights to defend himself either...

Now, you tell me what's right...
0 Replies

Catsangel

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:08 pm
THank You, Msolga! Very Happy
Nice group here!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:14 pm
Basically I tend to believe that any medical procedure being done on your pet needs you to be aware of the PROS and cons, and unfortunately...only the CONS in this area have any media attention. Also, any procedure you are likely to put your companion animal through you should thoroughly investigate the physician doing the job...you know..just like you would for your own surgery. It is a purely personal decision, sometimes medically needed for the pet owner. Most vets will tell you that many more animals would be euthanized if not for this procedure. Until the time when people actually make it a serious duty to spay or neuter their animals, then, I dont believe that such a frenzy whould be worked up about the CONS of the procedure. Its like anything else...theres good, theres bad, and when its your animal, if you are responsible enough to take on the responisibility of that animal, then you are responsible for the responsiblity of all decisions you make for that animal from that point onward for the rest of their life.

Just so there are some PROS listed here, if you would like to actually read them and find out that perhaps its not so bad as you think it is, have been lead to believe it is, or might just want to be informed about....Ive added it here.

I believe that it being a personal decision, and the times we live in still where the animial population is out of control, not type of procedure that allows animals to be placed in loving homes should be illegal...its ridiculous. But, Thats Just Me.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/reference/d
Quote:
The Pros and Cons of Declawing
Procedure is for indoor cats only.
Cat owners commonly want to know whether declawing is a "humane procedure." A properly performed declaw is minimally traumatic to the cat and does not change behavior as is often reported. All declaws should be done under general anesthesia with pain medication administered during and after the procedure, regardless of whether the cat outwardly demonstrates pain. A cat's instinctual M.O. is to hide pain—demonstration of vulnerability is taboo in the wild kingdom. A cat can be in considerable discomfort without external signs.

A fore-foot declaw does render the cat less able to protect itself, and the owner must keep the cat in a safe environment. Declawing all four feet is strongly discouraged as the rear feet seldom cause damage to people or furniture and do provide some degree of protection and tree-climbing ability should it become necessary. Combining the declawing procedure with neutering reduces anesthetic exposure, cost and recovery time. Younger cats show more rapid return to normal mobility than older cats. Every attempt should be made to perform the declaw prior to one year of age. Cats expected to spend unsupervised time outdoors should never be declawed.

Other options include flexor tendonectomy (a procedure in which the cat's tendons are cut, curtailing its ability to extend its claws), nail caps, frequent nail trims and behavior modification techniques. It may be better for the cat to experience the short-term discomfort associated with a surgical procedure than a lifetime of a yelling, irate owner and possible sentencing to the outdoors or the pound.

Companion Animal Hospital Page on Declawing...with 20 years of experience...minimal pain and suffering....
Declawing

Lots of Information here-
Cat Help

Quote:
When considering whether or not to have your kitty declawed, please make every effort to speak to your vet about the risks, costs, and postoperative care involved. Most declawing operations are performed safely and usually there are no complications, but as with any surgery, declawing has its risks, and complications can sometimes develop. It is up to you to make informed decisions regarding this procedure and whether or not you feel it is completely necessary. There are numerous alternatives to declawing, which are discussed below, and CatHelp urges you to explore those options fully before making a decision to have your kitty declawed. Your vet can answer your questions and concerns and will be happy to do so. If you choose an alternative as described below, please also inform yourself of the risks and benefits of those as well. Ideally, it would be wonderful if declawing was never necessary, but we understand that that in some cases some behaviors cannot be successfully modified, or that there are sometimes other considerations involved, so we therefore accept the reality that some cat owners will make the decision to have their pet declawed. We ask that you be fully informed about your choices, and we therefore strongly suggest that you speak to your vet in detail about all of the options available before making a final decision.

Contrary to some opinions, declawing is not likely to drastically change your kitty's behavior or personality, nor does it necessarily predispose her to future behavioral problems. However it can be a painful ordeal for your kitty and CatHelp suggests that declawing only be considered as a very last resort after being fully apprised of all of the other options available. It is up to you to incorporate behavioral training if necessary and to provide your kitty with a comfortable environment for her health and well-being. That commitment to her health, happiness, well-being, and safety should be the foundation for making these choices.

CatHelp also strongly suggests that you give full consideration to one other important factor, that being, whether or not your kitty will ever be allowed outdoors. CatHelp agrees with those experts that believe that a kitty that has been declawed should always be kept indoors. Although cats are not totally defenseless without their claws, they are arguably at a disadvantage without that main form of self-defense in any situation where she must defend herself.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:25 pm
BTW..theres another question going here already on the legalization issue of declawing

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3105&highlight=
0 Replies

paul191

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:16 pm
hi everyone
I just read through this entire post and was disgusted that so many humans believe they have the right to change their pets in any way to suit their personal needs. If you are not capable of properly training an animal to not scratch you, you simply should not have an animal as a pet at all. I have had a number of dogs and, at one point, six cats of all different breeds. It sickens me that the quote mentioned even begins to undermine the amount of danger you could put your pet into by declawing any of its feet. The quote states that declawing and the cutting of tendons of the front paws renders a cat "less able to protect itself"...it CANT climb trees with just its hind feet, give me a F***ing break people (I have six-8 cats of experience in this area...) it would have absolutely no way of keeping itself from doing a clumsy back-flip. Have you ever tried climbing a tree with your knuckles? What makes a cats poor clawless paws any different, THEY DONT HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS! You're not that stupid are you? Also it says that the rear claws provide some protection...when it is on its back, trying to claw with its rear feet, it will flop around helplessly unable to grasp the attacker in order to try and CLAW AT ALL! I would love to hear of your cats getting chased by a dog and when the cat cant so much as climb a post or a tree to escape or claw to defend itself, you walk up to the bloody mess and cry your F***ing eyes out, sick a-holes. I love how the quote keeps using the term "kitty"...makes me want to vomit that someone contributes such positive misinformation regarding such a procedure..."kitty" to them means "toy"...what a sick world this is...they are not animals to you people anymore...they are entertainment for your bored ass lives...you want company, live with the scratches and learn to love your pets for what they are, not what you wish they could be... Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:24 pm
Well, aren't you god's little gift to mankind?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:39 pm
No way! I don't want to bite into a nail while eating my lo mein!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:42 pm
That sounds like a personal preference, huh Slap?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:49 pm
Yeah, that's just me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:39 pm
Re: hi everyone
paul_191 wrote:
I just read through this entire post and was disgusted that so many humans believe they have the right to change their pets in any way to suit their personal needs. If you are not capable of properly training an animal to not scratch you, you simply should not have an animal as a pet at all.

lmao So tell me, how is "training an animal" not the same as "changing their pets in any way to suit their needs"? Do you train your pets in ways that don't suit your needs?

Quote:
The quote states that declawing and the cutting of tendons of the front paws renders a cat "less able to protect itself"...it CANT climb trees with just its hind feet, give me a F***ing break people (I have six-8 cats of experience in this area...) it would have absolutely no way of keeping itself from doing a clumsy back-flip. Have you ever tried climbing a tree with your knuckles? What makes a cats poor clawless paws any different, THEY DONT HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS! You're not that stupid are you?

A declawed cat wouldn't have to worry about climbing trees or doing backflips because anyone that isn't a total moron knows that you don't let a declawed cat out of the house!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:20 pm
paul_191,

I agree with you in that cats shouldn't be declawed but think much of the anger in your post is misdirected.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 08:37 am
I wish I had been here..alas I missed it. I will just say, many people are misinformed in many ways, and its very sad. Zealots on the other hand do nothing for any cause.
Just my opinion, and gosh..arent I glad I have the right to speak it.
0 Replies