Evidence Becoming Overwhelming that Bush Went AWOL

Harper

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:25 pm
Bush military file lacks required records

Monday, September 6, 2004 Posted: 1:47 PM EDT (1747 GMT)
cnn.com
George W. Bush poses in his Texas Air National Guard uniform in this

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Documents that should have been written to explain gaps in President Bush's Texas Air National Guard service are missing from the military records released about his service in 1972 and 1973, according to regulations and outside experts.

For example, Air National Guard regulations at the time required commanders to write an investigative report for the Air Force when Bush missed his annual medical exam in 1972. The regulations also required commanders to confirm in writing that Bush received counseling after missing five months of drills.

No such records have been made public and the government told The Associated Press in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit that it has released all records it can find.

Outside experts suggest that National Guard commanders may not have produced documentation required by their own regulations.

"One of the downfalls back then in the National Guard was that not everyone wanted to be chief of staff of the Air Force. They just wanted to fly or maintain airplanes. So the record keeping could have been better," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul A. Weaver Jr., a former head of the Air National Guard. He said the documents may not have been kept in the first place.
Democrats allege favoritism

Challenging the government's declaration that no more documents exist, the AP identified five categories of records that should have been generated after Bush skipped his pilot's physical and missed five months of training.

"Each of these actions by any member of the National Guard should have generated the creation of many documents that have yet to be produced," AP lawyer David Schulz wrote the Justice Department August 26.

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said there were no other documents to explain discrepancies in Bush's files.

Military service during the Vietnam War has become an issue in the presidential election as both candidates debate the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Democrat John Kerry commanded a Navy Swift boat in Vietnam and won five medals, including a Silver Star. But his heroism has been challenged in ads by some veterans who support Bush.

The president served stateside in the Air National Guard during Vietnam. Democrats have accused him of shirking his Guard service and getting favored treatment as the son of a prominent Washington figure.

The AP talked to experts unaffiliated with either campaign who have reviewed Bush's files for missing documents. They said it was not unusual for guard commanders to ignore deficiencies by junior officers such as Bush. But they said missing a physical exam, which caused him to be grounded, was not common.

"It's sort of like a code of honor that you didn't go DNF (duty not including flying)," said retired Air Force Col. Leonard Walls, who flew 181 combat missions over Vietnam. "There was a lot of pride in keeping combat-ready status."

Bush has said he fulfilled all his obligations. He was in the Texas Air National Guard from 1968 to 1973 and was trained to fly F-102 fighters.

"I'm proud of my service," Bush told a rally last weekend in Lima, Ohio.

Records of Bush's service have significant gaps, starting in 1972. Bush has said he left Texas that year to work on the unsuccessful Senate campaign in Alabama of family friend Winton Blount.
Missing files

The five kinds of missing files are:

# A report from the Texas Air National Guard to Bush's local draft board certifying that Bush remained in good standing; The government has released copies of those DD Form 44 documents for Bush for 1971 and earlier years but not for 1972 or 1973. Records from Bush's draft board in Houston do not show his draft status changed after he joined the guard in 1968. The AP obtained the draft board records August 27 under the Freedom of Information Act.

# Records of a required investigation into why Bush lost flight status; When Bush skipped his 1972 physical, regulations required his Texas commanders to "direct an investigation as to why the individual failed to accomplish the medical examination," according to the Air Force manual at the time. An investigative report was supposed to be forwarded "with the command recommendation" to Air Force officials "for final determination." Bush's spokesmen have said he skipped the exam because he knew he would be doing desk duty in Alabama. But Bush was required to take the physical by the end of July 1972, more than a month before he won final approval to train in Alabama.

# A written acknowledgment from Bush that he had received the orders grounding him; His Texas commanders were ordered to have Bush sign such a document; but none has been released.

# Reports of formal counseling sessions Bush was required to have after missing more than three training sessions; Bush missed at least five months' worth of National Guard training in 1972. No documents have surfaced indicating Bush was counseled or had written authorization to skip that training or make it up later. Commanders did have broad discretion to allow guardsmen to make up for missed training sessions, said Weaver and Lawrence Korb, Pentagon personnel chief during the Reagan administration from 1981 to 1985. "If you missed it, you could make it up," said Korb, who now works for the Center for American Progress, which supports Kerry.

# A signed statement from Bush acknowledging he could be called to active duty if he did not promptly transfer to another guard unit after leaving Texas; The statement was required as part of a Vietnam-era crackdown on no-show guardsmen. Bush was approved in September 1972 to train with the Alabama unit, more than four months after he left Texas.

From Guard to Harvard

Bush was approved to train in September, October and November 1972 with the Alabama Air National Guard's 187th Tactical Reconnaissance Group. The only record tying Bush to that unit is a dental exam at the group's Montgomery base in January 1973. No records have been released giving Bush permission to train with the 187th after November 1972.

Walls, the Air Force combat veteran, was assigned to the 187th in 1972 and 1973 to train its pilots to fly the F-4 Phantom. Walls and more than a dozen other members of the 187th say they never saw Bush. One member of the unit, retired Lt. Col. John Calhoun, has said he remembers Bush showing up for training with the 187th.

Pay records show Bush was credited for training in January, April and May 1973; other files indicate that service was outside Texas.

A May 1973 yearly evaluation from Bush's Texas unit gives the future president no ratings and stated Bush had not been seen at the Texas base since April 1972. In a directive from June 29, 1973, an Air Force personnel official pressed Bush's unit for information about his Alabama service.

"This officer should have been reassigned in May 1972," wrote Master Sgt. Daniel P. Harkness, "since he no longer is training in his AFSC (Air Force Service Category, or job title) or with his unit of assignment."

Then-Maj. Rufus G. Martin replied November 12, 1973: "Not rated for the period 1 May 72 through 30 Apr 73. Report for this period not available for administrative reasons."

By then, Texas Air National Guard officials had approved Bush's request to leave the guard to attend Harvard Business School; his last days of duty were in July 1973.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 889 • Replies: 11
No top replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:28 pm
Would the Swift Boat issues be considered bad news for Kerry? I think that group is calling for Kerry and the Navy to release some of his military records to prove their points.....
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
Compare?

War of words
Sunday, August 29, 2004
By WINSTON GROOM
Special to the Register
The firestorm of malediction which has erupted in recent days over the military service of John F. Kerry and George W. Bush is threatening to derail the entire rational debate over the future of this country.

So many of the so called "facts" and accusations are rolling around out there that unless one has made a very careful study of the actual facts, it's almost impossible to sort out the truths from the untruths. I have made such a study because it was in effect forced upon me (a point I will get to later on).

I know both of these men slightly, having met Kerry when he was dragged over to my desk in the newsroom of the Washington Star by a famous columnist and dear friend, the late Mary McGrory.

This would have been about 1972 or '73, when Kerry was in Washington either to give his controversial testimony before the U.S. Senate or to throw away his medals or ribbons or whatever -- I forget which. McGrory, a fellow Bostonian well known for her anti-Vietnam War stance, had fervently hoped Kerry might persuade me to join his protest group, since I had returned from Vietnam myself several years previous.

Kerry seemed nice enough, and we had a long talk, but I was not interested in joining his group, Vietnam Veterans Against the War, because, while I was not particularly for the war, I felt we should try to bring it to an honorable conclusion. As well, I did not appreciate many of the things these disenchanted veterans were saying about our military -- especially accusations of wholesale atrocities condoned at all levels of command.

Were there atrocities committed? Of course. There hasn't been a war yet that I know of where there weren't.

A look at court-martial records from the North African campaign in World War II reveals a depressing litany of offenses committed by American soldiers against the Arabs, many involving rape and murder. In Vietnam there was the unforgivable My Lai massacre, as well as lesser-known incidents of similarly dark character.

But anyone who believes those acts were condoned officially, in any way, lives in a fools' paradise.

As an example, when I was serving with the Fourth Infantry Division I was once put in charge of a second lieutenant who had cut off the ear of a dead Viet Cong and wore it around his neck as a souvenir. He was told to get rid of it, but he did not, and so he was brought up for court-martial on charges of willful mutilation.

How this creature became an army officer, I do not know, but he was duly brought before a military court and severely punished.

The military courts operated efficiently the entire time I was there to deter atrocities against the Vietnamese people.

--

The question of legitimacy about John Kerry's medals and injuries is perplexing, because there are so many conflicting reports.

According to available information, Kerry was wounded three times, for which he received three Purple Hearts. None of the wounds was apparently serious, but Kerry put in for and received his Purple Heart medals and this should not be denied him.

The only question that comes to my mind is, did Kerry's injuries actually warrant Purple Hearts? In the Army, a Purple Heart was generally not put in for unless the wound required considerable attention.

I knew many fellow soldiers who had slight shrapnel or "splinter" wounds (wounds made by objects sent flying by mortar or artillery fire) that were little more than scratches. I myself had one such wound. In the unit I was in, the First Brigade of the Fourth Infantry, you would have been laughed at for claiming a Purple Heart for anything insignificant.

But Kerry was in the Navy, and perhaps they had different criteria. In any case, it seems to me his Purple Hearts are legitimate.

Of his medals, the question is harder to answer, and the answers may never be known. I can only say that two Silver Stars and one Bronze Star in the short four months Kerry served in Vietnam are quite extraordinary.

It would be interesting to know how many medals of this distinction the Navy gave its speedboat drivers, vs. the ones the Army handed out so sparsely to its combat infantrymen who fought the VC and North Vietnamese in the jungles on a daily basis.

But all of this is subjective, and Kerry should not be challenged on his medals unless there is clear proof that he deceived his superiors as to whether he deserved them. So far, such proof is, at the very least, unclear.

--

Now we turn to George W. Bush's service. From the Democrats' campaign, all sorts of accusations have been hurled. One often repeated is that Bush "avoided the draft by having his father pull strings to get him into the National Guard," presumably because the Guard was a safe place to be during the Vietnam War.

Let me enlighten those who believe that last speculation, with this passage from the unit history of the Iowa National Guard: "On January 26, 1968, the 185th Tactical Fighter Group, Iowa National Guard, was mobilized, together with the 174th Tactical Fighter Squadron, its subordinate unit. The 174th, along with other Air National Guard fighter squadrons, flying F-100 aircraft, were ordered to Vietnam. The 174th, code name 'Bats,' flew over 6,500 close air support and bombinstrafing missions from its base at Phu Cat. The performance of the 174th earned the Presidential Unit Citation. Individuals were awarded 12 Silver Stars, 35 Distinguished Flying Crosses and 30 Bronze Stars. The Group returned to state control on May 28, 1969."

The Iowa Guard also had a mechanized infantry battalion (1,000 men) mobilized in May 1968. Fighting in Vietnam, "12 members of the battalion were killed and 76 wounded and the unit earned 2,600 awards and decorations." That is according to the unit's official history.

Does that sound like joining the National Guard was going to get you out of the war? The Iowa National Guard was only one of 50 state National Guards around the country. Go and visit their Web sites and look at their histories; you will see more of the above.

Between 1967 and 1969, when the old first-line units of the Army and Air Corps had finished their one-year tours and were rotating back to the United States, they were calling out the Guard to fill the gap. Believe me in this: I met a number of National Guardsmen during my Vietnam tour, and let any doubters go and trumpet their doubts over the graves of those dead Guardsmen.

Now, backing up a bit, did George W. Bush's father, then a congressman, help him get into the Guard? This is repeated over and over as mantra in the Kerry campaign ads, and accepted as gospel by many if not most news and media people, despite there not being a shred of evidence to support it.

Did he? The answer may never be known, but so what?

These are the facts I know: George W. Bush knew he faced the draft when he graduated from college in 1968, so at the beginning of his senior year at Yale he satisfactorily completed the Air Force officer qualification exam. Bush wanted to be a fighter pilot like his father was in World War II.

He was no doubt aware that fighter pilot slots in the Air Force and Navy -- the only services with fighters -- were and are almost exclusively reserved for graduates of the Air Force or naval academies, and he wouldn't have stood a chance.

So he turned to the National Guard, where he would have a much better opportunity to fly fighter jets. If his father helped him, so be it, though there is still no evidence, besides supposition, to show that he did.

The similar charge -- that Bush "avoided the draft" by joining the National Guard -- is patently ridiculous. If that were the case, then anyone who was commissioned as an officer by the college Reserve Officers Training Corps program (ROTC), the Officer's Candidate School (OCS) or, for that matter, through the service academies also "avoided the draft."

Yes, they went through the rigorous courses and afterward signed up to serve as commissioned officers, me included, and I don't particularly consider myself a draft dodger.

--

This past Tuesday a short letter to the editor, one of many similar ones to have appeared on the Mobile Register's editorial pages, began thusly: "Facts released by (his) campaign office prove that George W. Bush acted cowardly during his service with the Texas National Guard."

None of the "facts" promised were forthcoming in the letter, which was written by somebody in Montgomery, but these are just the sort of unsubstantiated accusations being pounded into people's heads on an hourly basis by both the Democratic and Republican spokespeople who appear on the national television news shows, write columns or send letters to the editor.

Let's review the real "facts."

George W. Bush was commissioned a lieutenant in the Texas Air National Guard (his home state) and trained to fly the F-102 fighter-interceptor, which was the only fighter plane in use by his unit. He could have applied for a college deferment, perhaps a medical out, or even run off to Sweden. He did none of these.

Fact: For the next four years Bush flew the F-102 jet fighter, which, both physically and mentally, is one of the most demanding -- and dangerous -- jobs on this planet. Of the 675 F-102's produced during the aircraft's active span, 70 of its pilots died in crashes.

Fact: Flying a supersonic jet fighter plane is no child's play, as anyone who has watched a Blue Angels' flying show will attest. Cowards and shirkers do not volunteer to fly those things.

Fact: Though Bush's unit was subject to being called to Vietnam, it was not, and a principal reason was that the F-102 was a fighter-interceptor, designed solely to shoot down other planes. By the time Bush finished his training in late 1970, there were no Russian or Chinese Migs to be found over the skies of Vietnam: most had been shot down by American planes and the rest grounded, and the North Vietnamese never rose in the air again to challenge U.S. Air power.

Fact: Perhaps they could have sent Bush to another unit and retrained him in one of the fighter-bombers which were then needed for close ground support, but by the time he would have finished this training, his tour of duty would have been almost up, and the money and effort wasted.

--

After Bush had flown the F-102 for four years, with excellent efficiency reports, he was asked to join the Alabama U.S. Senate campaign of Winton Blount, an old family friend.

This he was allowed to do: Under National Guard rules, a Guardsman is allowed to move anywhere in the nation, so long as there is a National Guard unit that he or she can and will join there.

Fact: In May 1972, Bush joined the Air National Guard unit at Montgomery and began to work on Blount's campaign, headquartered there. Unfortunately, there were no planes in the Montgomery Guard unit that Bush was qualified to fly and, according to available information, he found himself flying a desk -- literally with nothing to do.

The Vietnam War was winding down then, and hundreds of thousands of soldiers, sailors and airmen were pouring back into the United States, many seeking positions with the Guard, which itself had become somewhat lax.

Fact: For the next four or five months, Bush apparently skipped his unit's monthly Guard meetings in Montgomery -- and for this, he has publicly been called a "deserter" by the left-wing "documentary" maker Michael Moore, "AWOL" by Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe, as well as a "coward" by the letter writer in the Mobile Register.

Fact: In May 1973, following Blount's unsuccessful run for the Senate, Bush returned to Texas and rejoined his old unit full time, making up the four or five missed meetings from Montgomery -- perfectly permissible under National Guard regulations. (The National Guard rule is that if you miss meetings, you must make them up or you do not get your discharge, and must stay in the military charge until you do).

Fact: Then, with six months left before his six-year tour of duty was to have ended, Bush applied for and received an "early out" to go to the Harvard Business School. This was an extremely common practice in those days, when there were so many military people returning to the States.

I myself applied and received an "early out" of four months, after my Vietnam tour. (It might also be recalled that Al Gore received an "early out" to attend divinity school, after serving only four months of his 12-month tour in Vietnam).

But Bush's being granted an "early out" is characterized by his opposite camp as damning evidence of his "cowardliness," or "shirking."

Fact: After five years and four months of active duty, Bush was thus placed on inactive reserved status and given an honorable discharge, which he fully earned.

--

Spokesmen for Sen. Kerry never miss an opportunity to impugn Bush's service in Montgomery, claiming that he never went to Alabama, that he was "AWOL," etc. But I can personally vouch that he was in Alabama then -- which leads me back to my earlier remark about being "forced" into a study of Bush's military duty.

Back during March and April, when the famous "deserter" and "AWOL" charges were being leveled at Bush by the Democrats, the press had worked itself up to a feeding frenzy.

My phone began to ring off the hook: Newsweek, Time magazine, the Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, etc. Somebody had somehow learned that my former wife had worked on the Blount campaign, and that I had been seen in Montgomery while Bush either was or wasn't there -- take your pick.

They were frantic to learn anything I might tell them. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't much.

Back then, in late 1972, I had been passing through on my way back to Washington and had dinner with Bush one night at a Montgomery restaurant where the Blount campaign workers were having an informal gathering.

I sat next to him, for that matter, and we had a nice long chat, most of the details of which are long forgotten over the 30-odd years that have since passed. I do remember him asking about my Vietnam experiences, and I think we might have talked about Texas.

In any case, my information at that point was of little use to the news people, except that Bush was certainly there. I remember one of them asking, "Can't you remember anything else?"

"Well," I told him, "if I'd known he was going to be president of the United States maybe I'd have paid more attention."

After all that, I began to study up and try to find out what the big hoopla was about. Perhaps my use of the word "forced" was too strong, but I felt that, since I had been dragged personally into the thing, I'd best get myself up on it.

The account I've given here is a result of that study, and I hope it proves useful. It is as true and fair as I know how to make it.

It is a shame and a pity that such a controversy has to overshadow the important issues in this campaign, but that's politics.

My appreciation of it is this: The Democrats started the thing a year or so ago, with the stuff about Bush's father sneaking him into the National Guard where he would be "out of harm's way" -- if you can call flying a supersonic jet fighter plane as putting yourself out of harm's way.

The Republicans then responded by attacking John Kerry's war record, or at least rejoiced in the attack upon him by the swift boat officers. All of this has now escalated into a war of words almost beyond reasonable comprehension, slopping with rabid vitriol, half-truths and out-and-out lies.

At one point during all this, I had a conversation with a former Marine colonel who staunchly informed me that in his opinion, George W. Bush should have been awarded the Medal of Honor for his military service.

Naturally, I asked him: Why?

"Because," he said, "anybody who would fly a jet airplane maintained by the National Guard has got to be one of the bravest s.o.b.'s on Earth."

Source
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
We all knew bush went AWOL, and he and his people have the nerve to criticize a man who went to war.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:57 pm
Ugh, And the left complains about the swift boat guys?!
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:05 pm
We really need a president that has served in Vietnam..lets see Bill Clinton...the draft dodger...hummm. Kerry is a killer and he is going down.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:26 pm
Not so fast...Bush fulfilled his obligation...not AWOL.

Quote:

Source
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:54 pm
Who cares if he was AWOL or not...he is a moron...and the crowd pulling his strings are incapable of making a reasonable decision.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:11 pm
The message I take from this nonsense if that the Democrats can not or will not attack GW on the current issues of the day.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:14 pm
woiyo wrote:
The message I take from this nonsense if that the Democrats can not or will not attack GW on the current issues of the day.

It seems more tit-for-tat to me. The swiftboat guys made a big stink and now the Dems are trying make a bigger stink to cover up the swiftboat smell.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:35 pm
http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewPolitics.asp?Page=\Politics\archive\200409\POL20040909d.html

CBS would never stoop that low, or would they?

My observation is that as long as they do not discuss issues...Bush wins.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:52 pm
CBS has shrugged off all appearances of being impartial in their desire for Kerry to attain the presidency. Of the biased 'mainstream' media, they are by far the most obvious in their intentions.

Looking at CBSs' lineup of writers, reporters, and other talking heads (especially Dan Rather and John Roberts), it is easy to see that they are acting as an arm of the DNC.

And now we hear that 60 minutes might have 'reported' on Bush using fraudulent papers; nice....
0 Replies