Yogurt and You

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:25 pm
Me too- a yogurt lover. Over the years, I've come to like plain yogurt, but I like it best with fresh or frozen fruit.

As someone with decades of stomach problems, yogurt is one of the best tummy soothers out there.

Ah yes, I'm also an old hippie, but haven't tried making yogurt--you guys have given me the incentive. Thanks!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:28 pm
I can't stand regular yogurt. I eat a decent amount of frozen yogurt though.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:05 pm
Slappy, frozen yogurt is yummy, but does't have the active bacteria found in regular yogurt. Have you tried Stonyfield or Dannon flavored yogurts? That way you get the benefits and good taste. Ya gotta keep up your strength.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:09 pm
yogurt and fruit every morning (breakfast)
tuna, crackers, and vegie (lunch)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:26 pm
Slappy, Diane is right about frozen yogurt - it lacks the good stuff. Stoneyfield is an excellent yogurt, especially the smooth types. Sometimes the fruit-on-the-bottom types get a little curdled when you mix them. They have a chocolate yogurt that is amazing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:04 pm
Frozen yogurt Shocked

Why should yoghurt be frozen?

(Besides the already mentioned fact that yoghurt is only yoghurt due to the bacteria.)
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:21 am
IT's a good excuse to eat sugar and still feel righteous because it's healthier than chocolate.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:21 am
IT's a good excuse to eat sugar and still feel righteous because it's healthier than chocolate.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:44 am
In India, we made yogurt at home almost all the time. It is made in earthen pots and has that rustic smell and taste in it - it is just yummy !!!!!

I tried it here in London, but failed miserably
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:56 am
I wonder, what's wrong with the London buffalos and/or their milk :wink:
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:08 am
I think you guys might be wrong about that. Some frozen yogurt does have the active bacteria, I've read it on the labels. I do know it's high in sugar.

See first sentence:
http://www.aboutyogurt.com/industryAndResources/lacCriteria.asp
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:41 pm
hmmmm.... maybe there are fewer of the little buggers in frozen yogurt?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:45 pm
Or these little buggers just aren't so effective due to the fact that they wear winter clothes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
Quote:
Frozen yogurt--which resembles soft-serve ice cream in texture--has become very popular and competes head-to-head in some markets with ice cream. The health benefits of yogurt have long been touted. It is certainly a good source of B vitamins, protein and calcium and is much more digestible than fresh milk. It's also said to keep the intestinal system populated with good bacteria and therefore in healthy condition. These benefits, however, are thought to be lost when yogurt is frozen, which destroys most of the beneficial bacteria
.Source

Quote:
Yogurt is made by curdling milk with purified cultures of two special bacteria--Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus--that cause the milk sugar (lactose) to turn into lactic acid. The pasteurized (and usually homogenized) milk is inoculated with the cultures, then warmed in an incubator for several hours; during this time the yogurt thickens and develops its distinctive flavor. Nonfat milk solids are often added to thicken the yogurt; this also adds protein.

In some types of yogurt, the bacteria survive the processing; in other cases, the milk is pasteurized again after the cultures are added, and the bacteria are destroyed. This is more often the case in Swiss-style brands. Many frozen yogurt products are pasteurized after culturing, too. Check the ingredient listing for "active yogurt cultures" or "living yogurt cultures." Yogurt that has been pasteurized subsequent to culturing will be labeled "heat-treated after culturing."
Source
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:31 pm
i put on my glasses to see if i could find those critters; but lacto and strepto kept evading me. i'll have to start looking for the bulgarians. they are the ones with large mustaches, aren't they ? should be easier to find. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:46 pm
YOGHURT
i think i found some bulgarians, i wonder how they got into the yoghurt. hbg >>> BULGARIAN
0 Replies