Maestas, Pietas, Depositions...

Smartsux

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:26 pm
ANd you know, it really ticks me off how we have like, 60 views, and only 2 people talking. I could use those viewers' help. Pafooey. Viewers are like textbooks. Completely full of information but impossible to get info out of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:31 pm
Some of those are we three posting each time, and some maybe automated views by sites like google... I think this has been explained on a2k at some point, but I forget both the answer and where to find it.

On the maesta', it might be something in the portrait indicating Queen - ness. Gee, what a poor visual memory I have. Back in a minute.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:36 pm
Well, she usually has a halo...which could be considered a crown...which could be equated to "queenliness" (is next to Godliness) Oooh, all the tie-ins! I'm in Heaven! <Ohh, look, there's another one!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:37 pm
Found it, this is a handy link, as it breaks down what is in the whole Maesta' panel... but the key is that the mother and child are an "enthronement"... thus, majestic.

http://www.abcgallery.com/D/duccio/maesta.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:41 pm
and this on Giotto's Maesta', also an enthronement...
http://keptar.demasz.hu/arthp/html/g/giotto/maesta.htm
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:48 pm
Muy interesante, I found this site on Christ-full paintings, it should be helpful, but I can't get the URL. I searched Depositions though, for GOogle and got it. Be back in half an hour.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:56 pm
Smartsux wrote:
ANd you know, it really ticks me off how we have like, 60 views, and only 2 people talking. I could use those viewers' help. Pafooey. Viewers are like textbooks. Completely full of information but impossible to get info out of.

Well, Smartsux, as far as I know members here - and liek osso I'm here from the very beginning - art history isn't really that center of specialized interest.

We've some material in our 'Portal' here. When you go to
http://www.arts.ouc.bc.ca/fina/glossary/m_list.html
and follow the links there, you might get some until now not known info ... but in Dutch only :wink:

(It is Gothic, they say, too :wink: )
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:18 am
Maar ik spreek het geen Nederlands!

And thank you mein deutscher Freund. I figured it out just a while before you came, but the information was still really helpful. Danke.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:31 am
Smartsux wrote:
Maar ik spreek het geen Nederlands!

Quomodo in Anglice hoc dicis? Laughing

Nevertheless: Tot ziens, vaarwel!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
in art, the deposition is an entombment. Pietas were common from the rennaisance as Mary and the dead christ in her arms . The maesta has me a bit stumped. i think the generic meaning would imply "majesty" as Osso said.
Is this question regarding a mannerist style for protraying the life of Christ in all visual arts or specific works?
0 Replies