Why Bush's bounce is a good thing (for Kerry)

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:27 am
I sense that that the good GoOPers on this forum are just dying to hear from me on this issue. :wink:

So despite that I have had barely enough time to read, much less post, I want to throw a few pieces of meat that everyone left and right can chew on. I'll get back in here sometime tomorrow and respond.

Bush opening up a soft lead now is a good thing for John Kerry.

Plain and simple, it keeps Kerry supporters (and anyone else who can't stand the thought of four more years of Bush) from thinking they can relax (which translates into staying home on Election Day).

Conversely, it might just have the opposite effect on Bush voters.

There are two months (and however many debates James Baker deigns to grant) to go.

Kerry wasn't able to spend any money on advertising in August, he took a lot of shots from the Swift Boat Liars, endured the most unrelenting criticism at the RNC ever witnessed.

Some of this is going to have an impact on a electorate that is willing to be terrorized by its own government.

Republicans always seem to express an undue amount of confidence (and Dems an excess of hand-wringing) when the polls -- not the race; the polls -- shift.

This election will (still) be won in a handful of states where the race will remain to close to call until November 2.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:29 am
Like I said, the DNC should be thanking Zell for lighting a fire under their arse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
Kerry has a fighting chance. The debates have the power to alter the landscape very quickly.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
I've been thinking along similar lines in wondering if there's a good chance, especially in those states solidly for Bush (perhaps Texas), that voters will become complacent and stay home, especially if the poll numbers remain so positive.

While I still think he'll win, it would certainly skew the statistics of the "popular" vote, no?
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
Twisted Evil

P, it certainly got my attention!
Do I think Bush will ultimately win in the end? No.

What do we Kerry/Edwards supporters need to do? Simple, but rather messy. All we have to do is pop enough Bush supporter's heads out of their butts ( and they are buried DEEP) and we should have this race won.

Swift Boat Vets For Un-Truth has about beat that dead horse long enough. Besides, how can Bush possibly explain away the fact that his enormous tax cuts have not stimulated the economy ( and anyone out there who thinks they were a good thing is a dumbarse)?

Since Bush took office he hasn't created 1 net job. NOT ONE!
Since he became President, the stock markets have lost more than 6.5 trillion in value, unemployment is up more than 40% and the once huge surplus we enjoyed is now an enormous deficit that is growing larger and larger with each passing day. Oh, and to put "icing on the cake", this administration has made it more difficult for low-income families (you know, the backbone of this great country) to get any number of government benefits. Those would be Medicaid, housing programs, school lunch programs, education, preschool programs, meal programs for seniors, home heating assistance....and on and on and on. All of this comes from so called "Compassionate Conservative" Christians. Right. Don't be fooled by the "wolf in sheeps clothing".

You know that even the White House has said that the second round of tax cuts is going to cost us around $50 billion a year for the next 10 years! Shocked
Hmm. Let's see. We have cut 36,000 seniors cut from meal programs. 532,000 from home heating assistance. 8,000 homeless children cut off from education programs ( and this is from our "No Child Left Behind" President.). Our seniors are cutting their prescriptions in half to stretch their meds so they can eat! $50 billion a year for 10 years could help in relieving our seniors ( most from the "Greatest Generation") of their costly monthly prescription bills and implementing a prescription drug plan that would benefit them. No. Not gonna happen because we NEED these tax cuts. We have millions of children with NO health insurance coverage. Nil. That $50 billion a year for the next 10 years couldn't possible knock a dent in reducing the # of children not covered. Rolling Eyes Well, it could but it isn't now because we NEED these tax cuts.

Under Bush the military and homeland security get more and everything else gets C-U-T! Granted we need security for the homeland and a functioning military (just like we need allies in this war on terror and not the lack of respect this President is perpetuating among once formidable allies) but we also need our preschool programs, our school lunch programs for low income families, after school programs to keep our children off the streets, child care for low income families where both spouses work. We need the prescription drug plan implemented OR let our seniors go where they may to get CHEEPER drugs. We need health care for every single underprivileged child in America. We can do this. We could do it if we had a government that wasn't by big business, for big business, and of big business. Our President is more concerned with repaying his BIG campaign donors than taking care of his constituency. "We the people" are not his priority.

The more I learn about this Administration the more I get Evil or Very Mad mad. Just thinking about the injustices in our country during the rule of this "privileged son of a bitch" really frosts me! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
So all I can say is "Wake up America! The wolf is at the door! "
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
I have passed that point in my thinking, PKB.

I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind; I'm going to recruit people whose opinions aren't yet hardened.

Here in Deep-In-The-Hearta that's mostly college-age students and Latinos, people who will be voting for the first time or have never voted before.

My lmerry ittle band of voter registrars signed up 67 students at the University of St. Thomas (a Catholic college near Rice of approximately 3,000) two weeks ago at freshman orientation.

Then we went out to the Dave Matthews concert and registered another 150.

Their main concern, BTW, seems to be the return of conscription. They are not at all interested in fighting Bush's wars, from what I can see.

One of the new members here, htexas, typifies the opinion of Latinas in the Southwest. (Go read her first post from yesterday.) Women are usually the first registered voters in their households. They have similar concerns about American Republican hegemony but their primary concerns are economic.

And they tend to drag their husbands, sons and daughters to the polls with them.

My Labor Day soiree yesterday, with about 50 family and friends and another 100 of my favorite clients, was a ringing success. My head is going to ring, in fact, for the rest of the day.

Then I am going back to work.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:17 am
Quote:
Their main concern, BTW, seems to be the return of conscription. They are not at all interested in fighting Bush's wars, from what I can see.

I'm sure you made these young people aware of Charles Rangel's (D-NY) bill to reinstate the draft, then.

Under his bill, the draft would apply to men and women ages 18 to 26; exemptions would be granted to allow people to graduate from high school, but college students would have to serve.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:36 am
JustWonders wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure you made these young people aware of Charles Rangel's (D-NY) bill to reinstate the draft, then.

Under his bill, the draft would apply to men and women ages 18 to 26; exemptions would be granted to allow people to graduate from high school, but college students would have to serve.

I am sure you ar aware of the intent of Rangel's bill.
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:38 am
Kerry might as well quit the race now..let Hitlery take a stab at it, She might have a slim chance.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
Exactly. Rangel wants to make sure that the very students recruited by PDiddie for the Democratic party, which is also the party supporting the reinstatement of the draft are on the front lines as well.

Consequently, I'm sure he made them aware of this.

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
Oh good for you, PDiddie, with registering people!

I'm still spinning my wheels here, just moved and all of the organizations I belong to think I still live in Illinois and are sending me Illinois info, but I'm really chomping at the bit to go out and try to do something. I mean, if I want to try to make a difference, I couldn't live in a better place (Columbus.)
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:50 am
I am going out tomorrow to register some people. I have been derelict. was sick then this hurricane....time is running out.

BTW in this same survey,respondents gave Bush a 49 to 43% edge in handling the economy. These respondents must be on crack.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:52 am
John Kerry wrote:
Kerry might as well quit the race now..let Hitlery take a stab at it, She might have a slim chance.

LOL Hush!!! John Kerry is doing just fine (he was in Vietnam, you know.)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:55 am
JustWonders wrote:
Consequently, I'm sure he made them aware of this.

In Texas it is a violation of election law for a voter registrar to discuss political issues or candidates while registering voters.

I wrote (and you quoted me as writing) that it was their concern. What that means is that while they were filling out their cards I heard this opinion expressed several times.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:58 am
No worries Smile I have a feeling many registered Democrats will be pulling the lever for President Bush.,
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:00 am
Overconfidence among Republicans is precisely the good thing for Kerry I mentioned previously.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
Just tellin' it like it is. Smile
0 Replies