Pssst... We're All Out Here

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:18 am
Pssst... We're All Out Here

Published: September 5, 2004

It was bad enough when citizens in most of the nation - in a mere 33 states or so - were written off by presidential campaign managers as dwelling outside this year's political battlegrounds and therefore hardly worth serious attention. But thanks to the wonders of computerization and modern survey research, both red and blue campaign generals are narrowing the area of interest still further. The 17 presumed battleground states have been further parsed for purposes of campaigning and spending to what are being called the Big Ten and the Little Seven. And now, an überarena dubbed the Very Big Three seems to be fast emerging above all of the others.

The rest of us abandoned out here in Chopped Liver Land may or may not know that the Very Big Three are Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio, whose electoral votes are rated the most decisively in play. Win two of those three and the White House is inevitable, goes the updated estimate of campaign strategists. Naturally, they foresee an overwhelming share of the candidates' time and advertising pouring into those three states as the day of the election approaches.

"And if it keeps narrowing that way," says one respected field marshal, "the real battlegrounds for November could be defined down to Tampa, Columbus and Pittsburgh." Don't laugh; Columbus already is reeling from an estimated 7,500 campaign ads, with the real blitz only beginning. No surprise that the balloons had barely hit the floor at the Republican National Convention before President Bush was hustling out of town to the Very Big hustings of Pennsylvania - even as Senator John Kerry was dishing V.B. vox pop in Ohio.

Out here beyond the pale, some people may wonder why Senator Kerry likes to pose often in hunting garb, shooting birds in battleground states while the existing law controlling assault rifles is quietly left dying on the vine. Similarly, you can puzzle why a free-trader like President Bush spent so much effort on a doomed attempt to protect the steel industry from foreign competition during the off-year elections of 2002. The answers to such questions involve candidate contortions carefully choreographed for special facets of the vote within battleground states.

Travel packagers might consider offering bus trips to voters out in the evolving Very Little 47 who want to travel to Cincinnati or Harrisburg to catch a glimpse of the candidates in the flesh and experience the full array of 2004 TV ads. Otherwise, those who don't like this version of democracy will have to vote with their feet and move somewhere else

Are you irrelevant. Have the political pundits determined that your state is locked up and in their pocket one way or the other? Has the time come for the electoral system be abandoned and give every vote in the US equal weight? One man one vote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 471 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
I live in Columbus, baby! I couldn't get more relevant!

(That said, I GOTTA start watching commercial TV. I haven't seen any of this stuff.) (AND, nobody is telling me about no rallies. Hmph.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
sozobe
You have my sympathy Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:57 am
We in New York City, relieved of the presence of the depised GOP in our midst, now are left alone to vote overwhelmingly in favor of John Kerry.

We shall not see any major campaigning here except when Bill Clinton emerges from his bypass operation and says from the hospital steps,

"What are you'all here for? Get out to Ohio and organize a voter drive."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
Way out here Houston way we ain't targeted for nothin. I have yet to see a campaign ad. One brightness on the horizon, Gov Perry is extremely unpopular. However, he IS a Republican, so we'll just have to wait and see what it all means.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:18 am
Linda Lingle said Hawaii could still go republican in November. I think she's basing her opinion on the fact that we (avuncular) elected her. Confused I don't think her opinion put us amidst the 17, though...
0 Replies