Brexit and the stock market

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:43 pm
Let's see! The Brits exit the union, and the stock market takes a nose dive. The value of the US dollar vs the English pound increases.
Essentially, what it means is that the previous free trade agreements will be canceled, but that's going to take a couple of years to implement while each country make independent agreements.
The economy of each country remains pretty much static.
The Brit's economy represents about 2% of the world economy.
So, what's the big deal?

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 02:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's a win for Robin Hood. And, in my opinion, just desserts for continental Europe (let them enjoy the dominance of Germany in the remaining EU). And, if enough African/Middle Eastern refugees flood EU countries, it might also show those that are religious that God has a sense of humor.
mark noble

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 07:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
We didn't stand against the EU, Cic - We stood against the 'ESTABLISHMENT'.
And, even though, said, they still pull the strings - They have more 'strings' to pull than ever b4.
This is the beginning - Watch closely, sir.

Ps. Cash your investments in ASAP.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:43 pm
@mark noble,
I've been invested for many decades, and only know two rules. Diversify and stay for the long term.
It has paid off handsomely, so I'll stick around for the ride.
engineer

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 06:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think the "big deal" is the intentional loss of efficiency and certainty. London has become one of the world's top financial capitals because it was a tie into the EU. Now, that will slowly fade. Many companies set up shop in the UK because they could export to the rest of Europe, now they face higher costs and will stop investing there but they have to spend all the time and money to figure out where to go while being less competitive in the mean time. (For example, I heard this morning that Ford has 14,000 employees in the UK.) The science community in the UK counts and funding and partnerships from the EU. All that will be lost. I hope the UK government is ready to step up on science research or they will lose it all to Europe or the US. If you are a US company, you woke up on Friday morning and all the plans you made over the last twenty years are in tatters. It's going to take time and money to recover and that is going to be reflected in the stock price.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 06:53 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

It's a win for Robin Hood.

It's only a win for Robin Hood if you believe that Robin Hood stole from the rich and the poor and then burned the loot.
mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 08:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
My friend , Chris, has 50k-ish in gold - 10k in silver.
Good havens, indeed.
But if the system crashes - He has lots of shiny metal to eat - Whereas I have food, water, shelter and bush/camp crafting skills that will be useful.

I won't be trading with him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:24 am
@mark noble,
I never believed in gold as an investment. When people think it's time to sell their gold, the market for gold will crash. It doesn't accrue interest, and as you say, you can't eat gold. There are much better investments that actually increases in value based on supply and demand.
mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
I only invest in me, Cic.
I just see a 'crash' ensuing.
Be careful, that's all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:50 am
@mark noble,
Many people predict a stock market crash. Most have been wrong, but fear works. People buy and sell stock on emotion, and not on the understanding of macro economics, or the history of the stock market.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:53 am
@mark noble,
Many fear what happened in 2008, but the economic conditions back then were different, and what caused the crash.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-market-crash-of-2016-the-countdown-begins-2015-02-25
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Watch the vid, Cic - It agrees with you, entirely.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:19 pm
@engineer,
It's a win for Robin Hood because it shows the Anglo-Saxon mindset has not succumbed to Continental mentality. Remember Henry VIII broke away from Rome; the early colonists broke away from King George.

Not letting oneself be dominated by slackers, compared to oneself, is a grand Anglo-Axon tradition in my opinion. I would rather call Brexit: Anglo-SEXit.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I never believed in gold as an investment. When people think it's time to sell their gold, the market for gold will crash. It doesn't accrue interest, and as you say, you can't eat gold. There are much better investments that actually increases in value based on supply and demand.

And if you do sell it for a gain, the IRS does not accept is as a long term capital gain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 03:09 pm
@roger,
Here's a good explanation of taxation on gold.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-tax-implications-of-owning-gold-2015-07-15
mark noble

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
DO YOU REALISE, Cic?
Nobody watches your 'LINKS' - Because you IGNORE theirs?
0 Replies