BREXIT Opponent MP Gunned Down by Nationalist

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:40 am
Quote:

UPDATE: British police say Labour Party lawmaker Jo Cox has died after stabbing, shooting attack.

BIRSTALL, England (Reuters) - A British Member of Parliament was in critical condition after being shot and stabbed in her constituency in northern England on Thursday, British police and media reports said, prompting the suspension of campaigning for next week’s EU referendum.

Jo Cox, 41, a lawmaker for the opposition Labour Party and vocal supporter of Britain remaining in the European Union, was attacked as she prepared to hold a meeting with constituents in Birstall near Leeds.

West Yorkshire Police said a 52-year-old man had been arrested by armed police and that a woman in her 40s had suffered serious injuries. Police did not give any further details of the attack.

Media reports citing witnesses said the attacker had shouted out “Britain First”, which is the name of a right-wing group that describes itself on its website as “a patriotic political party and street defense organization”.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jo-cox-shot-britain_us_5762aa82e4b0df4d586f568a

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 04:57 pm
@engineer,
They really should have some kind of gun control over there. Another senseless shooting that could be stopped with some "common sense" gun control laws.
parados

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 05:02 pm
@McGentrix,
Thank god they do have some gun control. The weapon used was possibly WW1 era and wasn't able to fire off 30 rounds in under a minute.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:29 am
@McGentrix,
When we're in mourning over the death of a much loved MP you choose to make political capital. Even Nigel Farage has suspended canvassing out of respect for Jo.

The difference is that when someone gets shot in Britain it gets reported around the World. Gun deaths in America happen on a daily basis and are so commonplace they don't even make the news.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:59 am
@McGentrix,
You really are very "sensitive" responding to this horrible crime - even the British neo-Nazis have shown more respect.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 08:42 am
@engineer,
That particular group - Youtube them - Are not representing ppl - They are vermin.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 03:57 pm
@engineer,
The murderer is just that a murderer, and any and every murderer is a vile creature. This one is no worse than any other because his victim was a popular figure or because his motivation was political. If he had murdered a common citizen for a few dollars, it would not have been a less heinous crime.

There's a fair degree of irony in the posts that chastise McGentrix

We just had 49 people killed and 53 wounded in Orlando and the horror of that tragedy didn't stop a whole lot of people in this forum from taking off in a political direction about gun control.

Virtually everyone who dies is mourned by someone and some will be mourned by scores, hundreds, thousands and even millions, however death is death and murder is murder.

On another thread I posted the opinion that heinous crimes like this one were predictable, and I received a rash of accusatory responses: "You must be OK with killing liberals!" "You should be ashamed of yourself!"

I should be ashamed of myself because I recognize that governmental policies have consequences and that ultra-liberal policies invite ultra-right-wing responses? Why? Please tell me.

The nonsense about me being OK with killing liberals isn't worth comment.

This poor woman is an innocent victim of multi-cultural, pro-immigration policies that have created a situation in Europe where European heritage is perceived to be (and in my opinion actually is) at risk. Does anyone really expect Europeans who are proud of their heritage to sit back and watch it dissolve? Obviously murder is not an acceptable response, but this is what happens when people are pushed to the wall.

Scold me as you will, but I have been predicting for some time the rise of the far-right in Europe as a response to far-left policies. I don't look forward to such a thing, I only see the signs.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 04:26 pm
@engineer,
Every human being murdered is one too many, is extremely sad to read/see.

I find it hard when you get to see a glimpse of who that person was and her/his life and how it effects the people they leave behind.

I also find it horrific that a person chooses a profession and implements all their being/ passion in that, only to have a "hate" person come and destroy them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Obviously murder is not an acceptable response, but this is what happens when people are pushed to the wall.
When you present politics as a matter of life and death, as a question of national survival - like it's done by many Brexiters - I'm not really surprised that someone takes you at your word.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Again Walter...since when hasn't politics been a matter of life and death?

I can't believe you made that comment.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Again Walter...since when hasn't politics been a matter of life and death?

I can't believe you made that comment.
Well, I herewith make an affirmation in lieu of an oath that I posted that.

I'm not too educated about politics in the USA, but here it is uncommon, at least uncommon among persons you can take serious and who aren't extremists.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
My God are you still trying to say that politics isn't a matter of life and death?

Egyptians
Romans
European Monarchies
The American Revolution
The Civil War
The Spanish/American War
The Spanish Civil War
WWI
WWII
Vietnam
Angola
The two Iraq Wars
Etc etc etc

The list can go on and on.

Your resistance to this is stunning.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Your resistance to this is stunning.
I wrote about politics (Greek: πολιτικός politikos) not history ( Greek ἱστορία, historia).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What the hell does that mean?

You're taking refuge in Grecian philosophy?

So you're happy endorsing the personal accusations against my character based on ancient academia?

Politics is a matter of life or death or it isn't.

Declare!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Politics is a matter of life or death or it isn't.
It isn't.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Declare!
Educate yourself and don't give me commands.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Utterly unbelievable!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:45 pm
I guess Walter has an issue with this lady

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/orlando-jo-cox-and-the-deadly-ideas-that-shape-our-world/2016/06/17/574b9122-3488-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html?wpisrc=nl_opinions&wpmm=1
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 10:53 am
Brexit and the MP's death will in the light of history be shown to be inconsequential. Also, the proliferation of guns will continue and there will be many more meaningless acts of violence. It's a sad commentary yes, but I stand by it.
0 Replies