possibly a tricky question...Brexit, Registration, 90 days

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 06:58 am
currently im in Germany, i managed to get in and register before the end of 2020. I'm in the process of getting an irish passport but they've shut their offices and aren't processing FBR or passports. Been a year since i lodged the paperwork. I've been offered a job in Switzerland starting November this year. Theres no way the job or my skills would meet the visa requirements Switzerland request for a UK citizen to work there since Brexit. So my hope is the Irish passport but ...... i have absolutely no idea how long it will be. Could be another year by the sound of it. But my thought was since i registered in Germany before the cut off date and UK citizens can spend 90days in the EU or Switzerland since Brexit. Could i go to Switzerland in November and my 90 days would start from then? (because the time in germany wouldnt have counted because of being registered?). Any advice/help on this would be great!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 2
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 11:47 am
@imnotarobot,
A2K can’t give legal advice.

Switzerland isn’t in the EU. I think you’re biggest concern is getting there with Covid restrictions.

I would ask your potential employer if they know, or you could try contacting the Swiss embassy.

I voted Remain btw.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2021 01:16 pm
@imnotarobot,
Switzerland is a Schengen-country. Thus, the 90-day-period is the same as in any other EU-/Schengen country.

I think that the 90-day period starts when you enter Switzerland.
On the other hand, if you keep your address in Germany, carry your notification of residence and confirmation of registration at the Citizens Office with you, you perhaps aren't affected at all - but I would ask your "Ausländeramt" (or perhaps just the "Einwohnermeldeamt") before.

But be reminded that neither a valid residence permit nor a work permit issued by another Schengen member state (here: Germany) gives the holder a right to work in Switzerland.

0 Replies