4

Brexit and the stock market

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 04:54 pm
All this turmoil in the stock market, and our funds are up - as of today's closing. My wife funds were up $4.14 (combined) and down .09c (combined) per share. Mine were up $1.11 (combined) per share.

Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 7

Blickers

1  
Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's a good choice of stocks you have there. I think the Dow will recover it's old level, (17,900 or so) in a few weeks. Markets are always skittish about any uncertainty at all.

2  
Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:48 pm
@Blickers,
They're not individual stocks; they're funds. I believed early on that I didn't want to manage my investments because I didn't have the time nor inclination - or the expertise. That meant funds. I looked to see which companies had the best record, and both Vanguard and Fidelity's performance were the best. They also had the lowest fees. I chose Vanguard. Haven't been disappointed.

1  
Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:13 pm
@Blickers,
Yeah, the market doesn't like uncertainty, but I wonder if at least some of the losses are structural.
mark noble

-3  
Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:17 pm
@roger,
Could you send me some dollars, please?
I need to wallpaper my garden shed with redundant, painted tree-shavings.

2  
Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:41 pm
@mark noble,
Just keep hanging in there. Your pound is bound to recover - eventually.
mark noble

0  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 04:19 am
@roger,
Not my currency - Not my concern.

1  
Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2018 11:25 pm
If you look at the history of the stock market, it's always on the upswing even with the many dips along the way. My advise is, don't listen to investment counselors. Do your own study of how the stock market works and seek out those index funds that have performed over the long term. Fidelity and Vanguard both have the lowest fees. That's a leg up over all other institutions. Short term is not the best way to invest your money. When you buy into funds, stretch your purchase over some period of months. In that way, you don't buy in at the highest or lowest prices. Our funds have gained 5.7% this past 12 month, but 12.8% over the past 10 years. That's average increase per year. Good luck.