Brexit and the stock market

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 04:54 pm
All this turmoil in the stock market, and our funds are up - as of today's closing. My wife funds were up $4.14 (combined) and down .09c (combined) per share. Mine were up $1.11 (combined) per share.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,506 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's a good choice of stocks you have there. I think the Dow will recover it's old level, (17,900 or so) in a few weeks. Markets are always skittish about any uncertainty at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:48 pm
@Blickers,
They're not individual stocks; they're funds. I believed early on that I didn't want to manage my investments because I didn't have the time nor inclination - or the expertise. That meant funds. I looked to see which companies had the best record, and both Vanguard and Fidelity's performance were the best. They also had the lowest fees. I chose Vanguard. Haven't been disappointed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:13 pm
@Blickers,
Yeah, the market doesn't like uncertainty, but I wonder if at least some of the losses are structural.
mark noble

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:17 pm
@roger,
Could you send me some dollars, please?
I need to wallpaper my garden shed with redundant, painted tree-shavings.
roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:41 pm
@mark noble,
Just keep hanging in there. Your pound is bound to recover - eventually.
mark noble

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 04:19 am
@roger,
Not my currency - Not my concern.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2018 11:25 pm
If you look at the history of the stock market, it's always on the upswing even with the many dips along the way. My advise is, don't listen to investment counselors. Do your own study of how the stock market works and seek out those index funds that have performed over the long term. Fidelity and Vanguard both have the lowest fees. That's a leg up over all other institutions. Short term is not the best way to invest your money. When you buy into funds, stretch your purchase over some period of months. In that way, you don't buy in at the highest or lowest prices. Our funds have gained 5.7% this past 12 month, but 12.8% over the past 10 years. That's average increase per year. Good luck.
0 Replies

JohnSmithKalk

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 04:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
The Brexit could have a very real, devastating impact on Britain's economy. The impact will depend on the nature of the UK–EU relations after Brexit. Stock market reactions to the Brexit referendum were mainly driven by exchange rate movements and investors’ expectations of an economic slowdown as per UK stock market news.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 04:29 pm
@JohnSmithKalk,
Unfortunately, that's true. I'm not sure how they even approached the idea of Brexit, because anyone who have studied Economics understands that "free trade" is the best policy for all concerned. It opens up the markets for quality and price. If one looks at the economic history of the United States, we were once the major producer of apparels. Very little apparel is produced in the United States today, but our high tech industry have grown. Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum just proves that Trump never understood economics even though he may have attended Wharton, one of the Ivy League schools in our country. His tariffs added an unnecessary tax to vehicles and other products that includes steel and aluminum that results in less sales and loss of jobs. It's simple economics: Increased cost results in less sales. Less sales means loss of jobs. Trump is dangerous not only to our security as a nation, but for our economy. As Tillerson said, "Trump is a fu....g moron." Robert Gates on Donald Trump,
Quote:
At least on national security, I believe Mr. Trump is beyond repair. He is stubbornly uninformed about the world and how to lead our country and government, and temperamentally unsuited to lead our men and women in uniform. He is unqualified and unfit to be commander-in-chief.
This statement is supported by psychiatrists and mental health professionals; the first time in our country's history. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/18/trumps-grammar-in-speeches-just-below-6th-grade-level-study-finds/?utm_term=.dd5597dbae7d. And, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-time-cure/201709/the-dangerous-case-donald-trump
0 Replies