Bush 9/11 An Engineered Paradigm Change?

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
Was reading up on some marketing info and came across this as it pertains to selling, or otherwise getting what you want.

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/newsletters/castration.htm

"Engineered Paradigm Change"

First, just in case you haven't had your coffee yet, let me explain what a "paradigm" is. It's pronounced "para-dime" (like in penny, nickel, dime) and it is the frame of reference in which we operate.

A book by Stephen L. Covey tells of the following incident: A father is on a subway with his two young sons. They are out of control. They're howling, and jumping up and down and running around like bats out of hell. In other words, they're acting like my cat, Alfred.

During all of this, the father makes no effort whatsoever to discipline his children. He just sits there with a blank look on his face, oblivious to the pandemonium created by his kids.

Finally, one of the other subway riders can't take it anymore. He approaches the father and says, "Excuse me Sir, but your children are out of control. They are upsetting everyone on this train. Don't you care at all? Aren't you going to do anything about it?"

Then the father replies, "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. We just came from the hospital. Their mother has died and I'm pretty much out of it. I don't know how to handle it and I guess they don't either."

The other subway rider goes through an immediate change. He's no longer angry. His anger has been replaced by compassion, he now wants to help.

What has happened to that fellow subway rider is... he has undergone a paradigm change. His frame of reference is now very different. The "context" in which he views and evaluates the behavior of those out-of-control children has been completely altered.

Now, know this: Most Paradigm Changes Happen By Accident!

You're in an office and some dull clod invites you to a business-related dinner party. You know it's gonna be so boring, you'll hardly be able to stay awake. You're about to offer up a great excuse... when... all of a sudden... a splendid-looking young lady with an utterly dazzling smile interrupts to ask what the "dress code" is for the party.

Instant Paradigm Change!

What was, an instant ago, a suffocatingly, boring business/social obligation has now become... an opportunity for excitement! And nothing changed about the event... except... the context in which you were relating to it.

In the movie about Clark Gable's life, it starts by showing how he first met Carol Lombard who later became his wife. What happened was, she was going to a Hollywood party when she was jumped by a small group of really nasty guys. As she was trying to fend them off, Clark Gable happened by, saw what was going on, and came to her rescue. He waded right into the middle of that deal and beat the living **** out of the bad guys.

Her relief was profound. She had an immediate "endorphin dump" which means pleasure-creating brain chemicals began to flood her system. This endorphin dump almost always occurs when someone suddenly experiences a huge relief from stress.

Clark Gable couldn't have engineered a better beginning to his relationship with Miss Lombard. There is nothing which makes a person as immediately affectionate for you as you rescuing them.

So, in this case, Clark Gable sure was lucky, right?

Nope. Luck had nothing to do with it. You see, Clark Gable did engineer that fracas. Those "bad guys" weren't really bad guys at all; they were, in fact, studio stunt men who were doing Clark Gable a favor and making sure he got off on the right foot with the woman he was so attracted to. In other words, what we're talking about here is...

An Engineered Paradigm Change!

The message is: If the context in which you are working isn't working for you... change the context!

You know, when my mother died, I was naturally very affected. I remember a few times being in sort of a fog and having to apologize to people, "I'm sorry. I just learned my mother has died and I'm not thinking too clearly."

What would happen is, a person who was annoyed with me would now become immediately sympathetic and want to be helpful in any way he or she could...

Something to keep in mind as we listen to the Bush campaign blame everything on 9/11. Yes, the economy is down but it's because of 9/11. Yes, we lost so many million jobs but it was because of 9/11, remember that horrible day? Had to give tax cuts to the wealthy to get the economy moving after 9/11. I will keep you safe, see how responded after 9/11?

There was a very obvious paradigm change that took place on that day. Many feel that Clinton could not have reacted any differently than he did to the Cole bombing and other terrorist acts, because we were all still looking at terrorism as less of a threat than it was. The current attention to terrorists and the war started in the name of fighting terrorism could only happen AFTER 9/11. That was the paradigm change for Americans.

Was it engineered? Accidental? Accidentally engineered? We'll likely never know. I do know Bush got a report stating in its title that Osama was determined to strike the US. I do know that when he did, Bush sat in a classroom for seven minutes. What I do know is that what I am being "sold" is stained with American blood and I aint buying.

Made me a little curious as to whether Rove ever reads this guys newsletter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 428 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PKB

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:34 pm
Very, very, interesting squinney. Paradigm change! It very well could apply to the RNC.
0 Replies