Who's Your Daddy?

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:39 am
Card seems to think Bush is our Daddy, and apparently finds that to be a good thing. Personally, I'd rather NOT be treated like a ten year old child.

After all, how can a ten year old child be responsible for their own Health Care Savings Account, Retirement Investment, and Oh My God... Safety!

Card says president sees America as a child needing a parent
By Sarah Schweitzer, Globe Staff | September 2, 2004

NEW YORK -- White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card said yesterday that President Bush views America as a ''10-year-old child" in need of the sort of protection provided by a parent.

Card's remark, criticized later by Democrat John F. Kerry's campaign as ''condescending," came in a speech to Republican delegates from Maine and Massachusetts that was threaded with references to Bush's role as protector of the country. Republicans have sounded that theme repeatedly at the GOP convention as they discuss the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the war in Iraq.

''It struck me as I was speaking to people in Bangor, Maine, that this president sees America as we think about a 10-year-old child," Card said. ''I know as a parent I would sacrifice all for my children."

The comment underscored an argument put forth some by political pundits, such as MSNBC talk-show host Chris Matthews, that the Republican Party has cast itself as the ''daddy party."

A Kerry spokesman, seizing on Card's characterization of Bush as a parental figure for the nation, contended that the president had failed.

''Any parent that ran a household the way George W. Bush runs the country would find themselves in bankruptcy court on the way to family court," said Phil Singer, a Kerry spokesman. ''Just over the last year, 1.3 million people have fallen into poverty, including 700,000 children, and 1.4 million people have lost their health insurance while family incomes have declined three years in a row. America can do better."

Read On: http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/bush/articles/2004/09/02/card_says_bush_sees_us_as_a_child_needing_a_parent/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:41 am
Are we there yet?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:03 am
LOL! As a mother, I must agree this is the question we should ALL start asking. Great opportunity for Kerry campaign to jump on a theme! Think I'll suggest it when I go to local Dem headquarters today.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:38 am
That is an insult to every father in America. The man should be committed. Or at least not be allowed to run around loose. On second thought he isn't
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
Just what America needs. A boozing, clueless, born-with-a-silver-spoon-in-his-mouth-and-never-had-to-suffer-the-consequences-of-his-actions daddy.

On the other hand, he's done SO well with the twins...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:05 am
And just last night I was wondering how come I kept hearing the children theme. "I have children and I want them to be safe so I'm voting for Bush". And all of the little whitey children sitting around looking pure and innocent and worth protecting from those murderous Arabs.

I wonder how that will play among voters who have complained about the 'nanny state'.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:35 am
Yes, there certainly seems to be a contradiction between the smaller government, I'll give you back your money president, and this claim of Daddyhood.

I just saw him speaking in PA this morning. He again brought up the big bad lawyers that are making it so that doctors can't deliver babies because of insurance.

Do we need to be daddy'd on this too? How about regulating the insurance companies that are showing record profits and the phenominal CEO salary increases?

If awards are limited to $250,000, what are we being told? Our life isn't worth any more than that? Yes. But, even more, we are being told that we can't be trusted to care for ourselves. WE are the Juries. WE are the ones being attacked for awarding more than $250,000 to injured people. (And, this applies to malpractice as well as product liability, although Bush likes the OB GYN's can't deliver babies anymore line alot. Plays well with the Daddyness) WE are being told we don't know how to decide from the facts of a case what the damage is. Daddy needs to tell us it's never worth more than $250,000 even though HE will never hear the case at all.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:51 am
yeah, Dem's can be real mother's...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
squinney, I totally agree. It's a faulty conclusion that doctors can't afford malpractice insurance because of high lawsuit awards. As far as I know, no-one has shown this to be true by studying it. In fact, we are probably taking the insurance companies' word for it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:42 pm
Come to think of it, I've not personally known any fathers willing to increase arsonic levels in their childrens drinking water...

Don't those kind of fathers get prosecuted?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
Actually Squinney, it sounds like something the father of my son would do, but he reminds me of Bush.

Sad, but true.

There are many monsters out there and it scares the hell out of me.
0 Replies