West World! OMFG!

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:50 am
Westworld, the latest highly anticipated HBO series will grace our televisions this October.

An impressive cast: Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, Thandie Newton, Evan Rachel Wood; etc....

Is anyone else superpsyched about it? Anybody worried about the recent troubles that hit the production?

Anybody remember and/or fond of the 1973 cult classic version starring Yul Brenner?

jespah

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:22 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh my gosh that film scared the bejeezus outta me.

How will they do a series? There's just so many times the 'bots can go on a rampage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Anyone fond of Bertolucci's Besieged, with Thanie Newton? I know it's different, just that I like Thandie Newton, as well as Bertolucci.

<Will read along.>
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:40 am
@tsarstepan,
Sounds good to me. Just hope they don't screw it up. Smile But HBO has a pretty good track record, so I'll keep my hopes up and look forward to it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 03:55 pm
I enjoyed the move. Will look in on the series.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 07:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
does this one follow the same Sci Fi basis of the earlier one. ?

ED Harris the wacked out robot?. I wonder how they turn the "one trick" pony movie into a series.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 05:39 am
@farmerman,
It's too soon to say.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 07:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I loved the Yul Brynner version!
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 08:49 am
I thought the trailer for West World was magnificent - Evan Rachel Wood looks perfect in the role, and the sets all look chilling and engaging.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 05:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Anybody remember and/or fond of the 1973 cult classic version starring Yul Brenner?

I'd never heard of Westworld in any form until a couple days ago. I'll definitely be watching though.

jespah wrote:
How will they do a series? There's just so many times the 'bots can go on a rampage.
farmerman wrote:
I wonder how they turn the "one trick" pony movie into a series.

From what I understand, they mean to explore what a "human verses A.I." conflict is like from the perspective of the artificial intelligence(s).

One of the show's executive producers (Jonathan Nolan, brother of Christopher Nolan) just finished doing the TV series "Person of Interest" so we know that he has a ton of good ideas about how artificial intelligence might interact with humanity, both for good and for ill.

(Another of the show's executive producers is a guy by the name of J. J. Abrams.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:34 am
Our family has "get togethers" twice a week. One night, we watch a couple of catch up episodes of "Game of Thrones" with a couple of friends who didn't watch the first showing - and want to get ready for the next season (this is SO engrossing. You always see something that's more significant the second time around).

The other one is "WestWorld." Mesmerizing. There are a lot of really deep issues woven into the plotline/s, so the conversations our crew has after an episode are sometimes more enjoyable than the episode. The cast and the story are magnificent. I think they can only get a limited series, but the first three are devastating.

Highly recommended.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

ED Harris the wacked out robot?. I wonder how they turn the "one trick" pony movie into a series.

Channel 4 have managed to do it with Humans.

Haven't seen it, or Westworld actually. (I'm taping it so I can watch an episode per night and not wait a week.) I think that Bladerunner changed the dynamic. The killer robot becomes a more complex character unsure of its own identity, whether or not it is a robot, or a human or something else. The two Battlestar Galacticas sum up the development quite well.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 07:04 am
@izzythepush,
"Humans' is different. In a good way..
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:48 am
@Leadfoot,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Season 2 starts this Sunday!
04/22/2018

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 06:38 pm
Westworld film set (the fake town) destroyed in California wildfire.
http://twitter.com/i/videos/1061002186799362049
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm halfway through the second season. Surprised this show hasn't gotten a lot of traction here on a2k. Pretty sure the third season has finished airing last month.

These were the rules (for the most part) for season 1, so no major spoilers here. Maybe it'll inspire others to start watching this great show.
The 5 Simple Rules to Westworld’s Wild West Theme Park
0 Replies