Kitty Kelley's got the dope on the BFEE

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:20 pm
Brand X wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Ho-Hum. Does anyone really care about this? I might if Bush had said something stupid like, "Reporting for Duty" at his convention-.

or flown onto the deck of a carrier and jumped out in a flight suit. that would have been embarassing...
Rolling Eyes

According to that tag on his shirt 'Commander In Chief', he can land on the ship anyway he damn well pleases.

Do any of these troops look embarrased to be with him?

oh, please. by your definition then, since kerry served in the military and has an honorable discharge, he can salute anybody he damn well pleases.

so what's your problem?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
Austin-based nonprofit group Texans for Truth has launched a new television ad regarding the black hole that is George W. Bush's record of service in the National Guard.

"That was my unit. And I don't remember seeing you there," Lt. Colonel Robert Mintz (Ret.), who served in the 187th Tactical Squadron of the Alabama Air National Guard, says of Bush in the new 30-second spot titled "AWOL." Others who served in the 187th didn't recall Bush showing up to serve either, adds Mintz, noting that "it would be impossible to be unseen in a unit of that size."

Mintz, along with fellow Guardsmen and Gulf War veteran Paul Bishop, has spoken out before. Last February he told the Memphis Flyer in a lengthy interview that he had a "negative reaction" to what he saw as "out-and-out dissembling on President Bush's part" about having served in the Guard during Vietnam. According to the Flyer, Mintz was at one time a registered Republican, but in recent years cast votes in presidential elections for independent candidate Ross Perot and Democrat Al Gore. Bishop, who voted for Bush in 2000, told the Flyer in February that he "never saw hide nor hair of Mr. Bush" in Alabama in 1972.

"I think a commander-in-chief who sends his men off to war ought to be a veteran who has seen the sting of battle," Bishop said. "It bothered me that he wouldn't 'fess up and say, Okay, guys, I cut out when the rest of you did your time. He shouldn't have tried to dance around the subject. I take great exception to that. I spent 39 years defending my country."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:50 pm
Bush had someone him read him the August 6th PDB which said that Osama bin Laden was going to attack the United States, and his response was to go fishing.

When Andy Card whispered in his ear on September 11th, 2001, that America was under attack, his response was to sit still for nearly ten minutes.

http://a.abcnews.com/media/US/images/abc_crisisbush_020911_nh.jpg

When he was supposed to be on duty with his ANG unit in 1972, he was nowhere to be found.

At the critical moments in his life when leadership was summoned, Georege W Bush failed to show up.

I submit that he is a coward.

His actions have repeatedly proved this to be the case.

He cannot be trusted to keep the nation safe from terrorists.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:28 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Bush had someone him read him the August 6th PDB which said that Osama bin Laden was going to attack the United States, and his response was to go fishing.

When Andy Card whispered in his ear on September 11th, 2001, that America was under attack, his response was to sit still for nearly ten minutes.

When he was supposed to be on duty with his ANG unit in 1972, he was nowhere to be found.

At the critical moments in his life when leadership was summoned, Georege W Bush failed to show up.

I submit that he is a coward.

His actions have repeatedly proved this to be the case.

He cannot be trusted to keep the nation safe from terrorists.

Agree with every single point.

As for the question as to whether dems should rise above this stupid stuff, that sounds good because it is moral high ground, however, nice guys in politics not only finish last but are quickly forgotten and so cannot be in a position to do any of the things that they believe will benifit the country.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:01 am
Why do you agree with every point of this screed and so vehemently complain when the other side make similar remarks?

8/6 PDB is and was a non-entity.
7 minutes, G.W.B was in telepathis contact with Cheney and Rummy.
1972, W was in Viet Nam on a top secret mission
At the critical moments in his life when leadership was summoned, W has risen to the occassion and demonstrated unparalleled tenacity and strength in the face of global pressure.
He is no coward.
I trust him with the lives of my family and friends.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:03 am
McGentrix, in terms of "the other side", I don't recall seeing you express your dislike of the SBVfT underhanded tactics. (Which I did, here.)

Or are you picking and choosing "the other side". If so, can I pick and choose how I characterize "your" side?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
That would entail my disliking what the SBVT stand for, which I do not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:33 am
What do they stand for?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:37 am
Quote:
Ben Barnes: John Kerry's Unbelievable Last-Ditch Weapon
By Lowell Ponte
FrontPageMagazine.com | September 8, 2004

"THE LAST SMEAR," THE DOOMSDAY WEAPON that John F. Kerry's sinking campaign desperately hopes can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, is ready and is scheduled to be launched against President George W. Bush on Wednesday night, September 8, on CBS' weeknight version of "60 Minutes."

This bomb is an already-taped Dan Rather interview with former Texas Lt. Governor Ben Barnes in which Barnes will hint, and deceptive CBS editing will strongly imply, that during the Vietnam War the Bush family pressured him to use politics to get a young George W. Bush into the Texas Air National Guard.

"Barnes comes off as very sympathetic," the American Spectator quotes an unnamed CBS news producer with whom its reporter spoke. "This is a guy who has been under intense, brutal pressure from a family that is very powerful in Texas. You get the impression that he just can't take it anymore."

This story "is clearly the Kerry campaign's response to the Swift Vets controversy," noted one source quoted by the American Spectator. It is an attempt to undermine President Bush's credibility in the same way that testimony by 254 of Kerry's fellow Swift boat veterans undercut his carefully-cultivated Kennedy-esque image of honor and heroism during the Vietnam War.

But before anybody swallows the story Ben Barnes tells, America needs to know some things about Mr. Barnes that CBS and the rest of the establishment media are unlikely to mention.

Ben Barnes was born in 1938 in De Leon, Texas southwest of Fort Worth. After graduating from the University of Texas and earning a law degree from Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Barnes in 1960, at age 22, was elected to the Texas House of Representatives. He served there until 1969, the last four of these years as the youngest Speaker of the House in Texas history. From 1969 until 1973 Barnes was the state's Lt. Governor.

President Lyndon B. Johnson compared the young political wunderkind to Thomas Jefferson and predicted that Ben Barnes would be the next Texan elected President. The leftwing Texas Monthly called Barnes the "golden boy" of Texas politics.

But "after he was involved in a bribery and stock fraud scandal in the early 1970s," wrote leftwing Mother Jones Magazine, Barnes "never held office again. He was involved with a number of banks and thrifts that were mentioned during the S&L crisis, and forced into bankruptcy when the Texas thrift industry cratered in the late 1980s."

By the late 1990s Barnes had become a millionaire lobbyist working for GTech, a company that operated lotteries in 37 states including Texas. The Texas lottery was losing money, in part because of a sweetheart deal in which Barnes received 3.5 cents for every ticket sold - more than $3 million per year. When the Texas lottery commission re-bid GTech's contract, the company sued and - after buying Barnes out for $23 million - hired a new lobbyist. A fired Texas lottery director sued, claiming that he had taken the fall for GTech because Barnes had a National Guard story embarrassing to then-Governor George W. Bush.

Barnes, facing potential charges of yet more wrongdoing, told his National Guard story in a deposition in a successful effort to politically deflect his own responsibility in this matter. In multiple re-tellings since 1999, the details of Barnes' story have changed several times. Its gist is Barnes' claim that when he was the Democratic Lt. Governor he intervened to get Republican Houston Congressman George H.W. Bush's son George W. into the Texas Air National Guard (alongside the sons of Governor John Connally and Senator Lloyd Bentsen, Democrats). Barnes now says he is "ashamed" of this. Trouble is, George W. Bush began the first of six years' service in the National Guard in 1968, but Barnes did not become Lt. Governor of Texas until 1969. Barnes has acknowledged that no member of the Bush family sought his help, but claims he was approached by a Bush family friend (who died three years before Barnes began telling his self-serving story).

Because Barnes' tale rests solely on his word, how good is his word? Given his long past of shady dealings, the shipwreck of his career on scandal, and the changes and inconsistencies of his story, Barnes appears to be less than a credible witness.

More doubt is raised by this partisan Democrat's motives. Barnes promoted an earlier version of his story in 1999 and 2000 in a clear attempt to damage the presidential campaign of George W. Bush. And Barnes apparently has had the same aim in reviving this story, long ago discredited by an investigation by the liberal Los Angeles Times, in 2004. As CNN reported in 1999, "the Los Angeles Times said it found no evidence that either Bush or his father, former President George Bush, had personally tried to influence or pressure anyone to get the younger Bush a place in the Texas Guard."

Ben Barnes has a large vested interest in the outcome of the 2004 election. He is a co-chairman of John F. Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign. Barnes, as CBS News reported in June 2004, has made bundled contributions of more than $500,000 to Kerry's campaign. Barnes owns a home near his friend Kerry's home in Nantucket on the Massachusetts shore.

For many years Barnes and the lobbying firm he founded in Austin, EntreCorp, have made many millions of dollars by acting as the go-between bringing special interest groups and companies together with highly-placed Democrat officeholders. The Center for Responsive Politics has listed Barnes as the third largest all-around Democratic donor in America 1999-2004. So influential and important is Barnes to the Democratic Party, as this column reported last January, that Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle has nicknamed this fat cat money man and lobbyist "the fifty-first Democratic Senator."

If Kerry becomes President, reported the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in July 2004, Ben Barnes is at the top of the list of those close to the Kerry Administration likely to become "gatekeepers and endorsers forÂ…appointees and job-seekers." Given his sticky-fingered past, Barnes would likely also become a toll-collector at this gate, charging everybody he allows through it, and overnight he could become an even wealthier and more influential political lobbyist and "fixer" serving special interest groups, corporations, nations and individuals.

Given Ben Barnes' shady past, dubious reputation and selfish mercenary motive to defeat President Bush and elect Barnes' close friend and partisan ally John F. Kerry, what honest reporter would give credence to an unsubstantiated Barnes tale calculated to damage President Bush in the final days before the November election?

CBS Anchorman Dan Rather, according to the American Spectator, "has been pushing for months" to get his network's most watched news program "60 Minutes" to air this non-credible story in an already-videotaped interview with Ben Barnes. This interview, the Spectator reported in September 2004, has been edited deceptively to imply that the Bush family directly pressured Barnes to get George W. Bush into the Air National Guard. Rather only half succeeded. His Bush-smearing interview will air on "60 Minutes," but on its lightly-watched Wednesday version this week, not its far more widely seen Sunday night version.

(Dan Rather is an extreme partisan who, while Anchor for the CBS Evening News, participated in a Democratic Party fundraiser in Texas. The leftwing slant of CBS itself has been documented by that network's former reporter Bernard Goldberg in his 2002 best-seller Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News.)

What is the truth about George W. Bush and the Texas Air National Guard? He apparently was chosen to defend his nation in this service for a reason so obvious that few notice it. Mr. Bush was accepted by the Guard less than two weeks before his graduation from Yale University, and Guard commanding officers logically concluded that any young Texan bright and hard-working enough to graduate from such a prestigious university had thereby demonstrated both excellence and high character.

Mr. Bush served in the National Guard for six years. During the first four of those years George W. Bush far surpassed the time and work requirements for National Guard service, and during his remaining two years Mr. Bush complied with those basic requirements. (After returning from his four months in Vietnam, metamorphosed radical anti-war leader John Kerry was required to serve for several years in the Naval Reserve, but the establishment media has refused to investigate charges that Kerry shirked this required duty.)

In mid-1968, when George W. Bush joined the National Guard, Democrats controlled the White House and both houses of Congress, and Texas was still a yellow-dog Democratic one-party state that would take another decade to elect its first Republican governor in more than 100 years. The Republican Bush family had no power to twist then-Texas House Speaker Democrat Ben Barnes' arm, even if it wanted to. The notion that Barnes was "pressured" by the "powerful" Bush family to get George W. into the National Guard is absurd. But this phony claim is apparently what CBS, to rescue the desperate Kerry campaign, is preparing to broadcast.

President Bill Clinton, a master at extracting donor cash in exchange for political favors, once told a group of Methodist ministers: "If you all will take a sinner like [Ben] Barnes, you might take me."

If people can be C-BSed into believing a disreputable sinner like Ben Barnes, America might yet suffer the devastation of a President John Kerry.

Source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:38 am
I'm not ready to move this thread away from PDiddies screed and Revel follow up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:40 am
You're not, huh. OK. <shrugs>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
(Meanwhile, I'll just give your straw baby a little chuck under the chin... I was responding to YOUR comments about "the other side"...)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
I know, and we can get back to them later.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:57 am
Luckily, the Barnes interview in which he said he pulled the strings to get Bush into the ANG is on tape. The most recent quotes of what he said use the old "..." to edit out that which they do not wish to explain:

What he really said:

"I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when I was lieutenant governor of Texas, and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it,"

Most recent quotes by the liberal media:

"I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard ... and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it,"

Even CBS acknowledges the lie by Barnes, but what do you want to bet there will be NO mention of it in the 60-Minutes interview?????

Quote:
(CBS/AP) In a video posted on the Internet, former Texas Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes, a Democrat, says he is ashamed that he helped President Bush and the sons of other wealthy families get into the Texas Air National Guard in 1968 so they could avoid serving in Vietnam.

"I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when I was lieutenant governor of Texas, and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it," Barnes said in the 45-second video, which was recorded May 27 at a meeting of John Kerry supporters in Austin.

Barnes, who was House speaker when Mr. Bush entered the Guard, later became lieutenant governor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/09/politics/main628437.shtml
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:57 am
OK, I read back, what follow-up are you waiting for, McG? This?

Quote:
1972, W was in Viet Nam on a top secret mission

Dude... you're serious? I suppose no records can be found because it was, like, top secret -- right? Even declassified records... Or you HAVE the records? I'd love to see 'em.

Or, I know, he was punished (but failed to show up for the punishment) because of the top-secret mission...

Quote:
But Bush fell well short of meeting his military obligation, a Globe reexamination of the records shows: Twice during his Guard service -- first when he joined in May 1968, and again before he transferred out of his unit in mid-1973 to attend Harvard Business School -- Bush signed documents pledging to meet training commitments or face a punitive call-up to active duty.

He didn't meet the commitments, or face the punishment, the records show. The 1973 document has been overlooked in news media accounts. The 1968 document has received scant notice.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/09/08/bush_fell_short_on_duty_at_guard?mode=PF
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
PDiddie wrote:
Bush had someone read him the August 6th PDB which said that Osama bin Laden was going to attack the United States, and his response was to go fishing.

Did someone doctor that pic or is it for real? Reading Makes A Country Great? But Bush couldn't read for himself a report titled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike Within US? Shocked
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
When Bush received the PDB that stated Russia has evidence that Saddam was determined to strike within the US" and acted on it, all the liberals act all butt hurt, but harangue about the Bin Laden briefing like it meant something.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:26 am
McG, you are killing me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:37 am
Why? How many times has the briefing been brought up about ABL wanting to attack America? Putin came forward saying he gave Bush evidence that Saddam was planning an attack on America ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3819057.stm ) and we acted upon that, as well as other credible information and it's complained about.

I suppose we should have waited until Saddam actually did attack like Clinton did with Osama...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
McG, I realize this is "pick and choose what to respond to day", but the PDB thing came up AFTER I reacted to the 1972 thing...
0 Replies