John Kerry For President

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
Thought this might be a good time to start talking about the coming Kerry/Edwards presidency.

If you aren't familiar with his stand on the issues, here is the link to his website. The topics in the left hand column will take you to his position on each.

http://www.johnkerry.com/index.html

Feel free to make a donation while you are there. Laughing

Here's the great speech he gave to veterans today:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/releases/pr_2004_0901.html

By comparison, here's a quick look at the differences between the candidates regarding honoring our veterans: http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/releases/pr_2004_0831b.html

That should get us started. If you have additional facts about his positions on issues, feel free to post them and discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,657 • Replies: 29
No top replies

PKB

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:28 pm
Very Happy

Made my donation! Best $$$ I ever spent.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:53 pm
Thanks, PKB.

As for the $87 BILLION dollar Bill that Republicans say Kerry changed his mind on, well it's not that simple. I would have given Bush a hard time about this one, too. Actually, I wish more Democrats had.

Kerry did NOT vote "No" on providing protection and health care for our troops. These were very small items that amounted to around .0033% of the $87 Billion Bush requested.
http://www.factcheck.org/printerFriendly.aspx?docid=155

For a look at the Bill, you can go to the following link: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3289.ENR:

Kerry voted FOR a more responsible version that would have paid for some of the spending with an amendment he co-sponsored. The amendment was defeated, and the resulting Bill required a "No" vote due to its lack of funding. Kerry knew the $87 billion would pass easily. As a Senator who's made fiscal responsibility one of his core beliefs, should he have gone quietly? I admire his standing up for what was right, and agree that the requested $87 Billion should have had some provision for how it would be funded. As it is, it merely created $87 Billion more in debt.

In addition, much of the money spent is unaccounted for by the administration.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:55 pm
Too bad he didn't impress the Vets, empty seats here and there so they turned the camera at angles to make the turn out look better.

Bush was there in the day before, standing room only.

Here is how the American Legion rates Kerry.

Even Ted rated a 50.

Hastert(R) got a 0? But, hey... he's not a Pres candidate.
Lieberman, Mr. For The War In Iraq scored 0, surpised me there too, disappointed he's all talk and no follow through.

Kerry 0
Feinstein 0
Harkin 0
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:01 pm
On that last link you posted I see Kerry claiming Bush was against Healthcare funding for National Guard and Reservists while claiming he fully supports it yet Kerry managed to miss every vote on the issue this year.

Apparently he isn't all to concerned about it. So much for that "strong record of standing up for America's veterans" claim from his speech link.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
Apparently Kerry is a little behind the times too (maybe he doesn't read the papers while he's out on the campaign trail??).

From his WWW site:

"Kerry Will End the Disabled Veterans Tax . John Kerry will fight to end the "disabled veterans tax," under which military retirees who receive both veterans' pensions and disability compensation must surrender a dollar from their military retirement pay for every dollar they get for disability compensation. The Bush Administration has fought to keep this unfair tax in place."

The bill that phased out the concurrent receipt restriction was passed and signed on November 23rd, 2003.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
That goes along with the Verry/Leftwards 'Great Bargain' plan for Iran...which is, well...already being done.

You gotta question a guy that has wanted to be president his whole life but has gone out of his way to screw the whole journey.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:34 pm
John Kerry's Defense Defense - Setting his voting record straight
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:48 pm
lol Now Bush is responsible for his father's statements?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:51 pm
If you can't read, fishin, I can help you understand the article. Just let me know.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
I read exactly what you posted. Apparently you are the one that needs help understanding. Wink

"The speaker was President George H.W. Bush, the current president's father..."

So what does what his father said have to do with what he says? If Kerry wants to go running off and attack Bush 41 let him. Bush 41 isn't running against Kerry. (Comments in the article from Cheney and Powell may be relevant since they are in the current administration but Bush 41 isn't.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
Here's a comparison of military records released as posted at Find Law: http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/lit/election2004/docs.html
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:07 pm
The relevance, fishin' is in that the ads the GW Bush camp have been running claiming Kerry is against defense, are based on weapons that Cheney, Powell and HW didn't support either.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:13 pm
It's only relevant if you are desperate. Statements from Bush 41 are no more relevant than Gore's voting record in the Senate is to Kerry's record.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:46 pm
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040901/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_kerry_15

Kerry Challenges Bush on Terror Policies

Wed Sep 1,12:41 PM ET

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - In a sharply worded challenge to President Bush, Democratic Sen. John Kerry said Wednesday "extremism has gained momentum" as a result of administration missteps in Iraq, but said the war on terror is a winnable one with the right policies.

"When it comes to Iraq, it's not that I would have done one thing differently, I would have done almost everything differently" than the president, the presidential candidate said in a speech to the national convention of the American Legion.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:00 pm
http://www.sacredcowburgers.com/parodies/a_sensitive_war.jpg
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:01 am
fishin' wrote:
It's only relevant if you are desperate. Statements from Bush 41 are no more relevant than Gore's voting record in the Senate is to Kerry's record.

wrong there, laddie. if g.w. bush's attack dogs are going to go after kerry's record on defense, it's absolutely relevant to show that he voted with the 41 president, a conservative btw, on cutting defense as outlined by the same president. the same president that boasted that his plan would cut defense spending by %30.

and by the way. kerry's problem with the vaunted $87 billion was that 18 or so billion is a non-repayable gift to iraq. hope that makes you feel good because your kids are gonna be paying for it long after the social security that you won't be getting runs out.

"and they wonder why i don't vote for republican presidents anymore"
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:36 am
It makes your head spin when they criticize someone for holding the same position that they themselves supported. It like "Support us while we reduce this spending" and later, (when politically convenient) say "Why you no good..."

But for the GOP, like Fox, it's about sound bites and slogans, not facts.

Like Cheney's use of the word 'sensitive' last night and in previous statements. His first use of the word some two years ago, was in the same context as Kerry used it 'to be more aware' but after Kerry used it then it became some kind of kissy-sweetums sort of thing.

disingenuous and dishonest, but good laugh lines, leading the sheeple down the path.

Joe
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 07:09 am
Joe Nation wrote:
It makes your head spin when they criticize someone for holding the same position that they themselves supported. It like "Support us while we reduce this spending" and later, (when politically convenient) say "Why you no good..."

But for the GOP, like Fox, it's about sound bites and slogans, not facts.

Like Cheney's use of the word 'sensitive' last night and in previous statements. His first use of the word some two years ago, was in the same context as Kerry used it 'to be more aware' but after Kerry used it then it became some kind of kissy-sweetums sort of thing.

disingenuous and dishonest, but good laugh lines, leading the sheeple down the path.

Joe

You said it exactly.

About Kerry's strong come back, I found that this morning on the Washington Post and was going to post it. As usual I am too slow. I am glad that Kerry is fighting these no good for nothin... Even if he goes down, which if there is a God in heaven he won't, he will at least go down fightin
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 07:10 am
p.s. the god in heaven is just meant as an expression. just feel the need to clarify for my own sake.
0 Replies