Your Opinion About Coulter/Franken

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:47 am
Now, I'm for the most, a total newbie in US politics. I do know some of course, but not as much as I want to. This afternoon I bought this book by Al Franken, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right". Which made we wonder after I read the first few pages.

To get a "Fair and Balanced Look at US Politics" I would like the see your opinion on not only people like Ann Coulter or Al Franken, but also on others. Inform me :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 17
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
Ann Coulter is a rabid animal. Al Franken is a partisan comedian. I think we probably need them both.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:58 am
I really like the way Al Franken writes. A lot of sarcasm, combined with a really sharp tongue ... An opponent to be afraid of! Laughing
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:58 am
(Not in my case though, I'm not Republican :wink: )
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
They are towards the ends of the bell curve. Find a good list of columnist links, http://www.drudgereport.com/ has
a wide selection, and start reading.

But wouldnt you rather have a hobby?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
Rick

Better, I think, to form an educated opinion yourself (or do that along with what you are doing here).

If you have some training in logic, that wonderfully helpful. If not, just familiarity with proper scholarship and journalism will serve you quite adequately.

Pick up one of Coulter's books too. Read a page or a chapter from one, then the other. Then set them against your criteria for reasoned discourse and credible journalistic standards.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
Can a person not just be interested?

EDIT: meant for shaggydog.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
Point is blatham, that I live on the other side of the pond. I don't even know whether Ann Coulter's books are published here. That's why I decided to start this thread, so you guys (read: American guys) can give me some sort of introduction into this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:46 am
rick

I was aware that you write from the Netherlands. If Eindhoven is of modest size, and if you could find a book by Frankin, it seems quite possible that Coulter might be available too. Of course, you could order online.

I'm afraid the polarization evident over here will result in responses to your question which won't do much in the way of illumination.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
Ann Coulter is the Hulk Hogan of conservative political pundits. Her narrow scope of vision is funny, and it's clearly demonstrated when she gives interviews.

Al Franken wrestled in high school.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:43 am
Quite apart from their political differences, Franken is a funny guy, while Coulter strains at being funny.

I realize that humor is in the eye of the beholder, but Franken was a writer and then performer on Saturday Night Live. He had to be funny to keep his job. And he was funny--way before I had any idea what his politics were...
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:22 pm
Rick,
I have read the book you speak of and it is hilarious! Franken makes politics palatable with his wicked sense of humor. He often looks at things from an angle you would never have. The only complaint I have about the book ( and it really isn't a complaint) is that he tends to place Bill Clinton on a pedestal. Granted I think Clinton was a first class President but no one is without faults or mistakes.

Now, about Coulter. I have had the pleasure (or rather, displeasure) of witnessing her on television. She is just too hard core to the right for my taste. I wouldn't mind reading one of her books just so I can be fair about my opinion of her but I really would hate spending good money on a book that didn't even make me laugh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Point is blatham, that I live on the other side of the pond. I don't even know whether Ann Coulter's books are published here. That's why I decided to start this thread, so you guys (read: American guys) can give me some sort of introduction into this.

Oh - IF you want them, youi can always order from somewhere like Amazon!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:40 pm
I know. Amazon is great. But although I have no problems reading in English, I would prefer Dutch eventually.

PKB, I'm about halfway through now and I can only conclude so far as what you have said: it's just hilarious! The way how he criticizes Bill O'Reilly is just fabulous! Not to start about Sean Hannity or Alan Colmes ... I would like to see Bill O'Reilly on FOX, I think it would be just fantastic! Sadly enough, we only receive CNN and (in the morning) NBC (I guess, or MNBC or something like that?) concerning American broadcasting companies.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:57 pm
[QUOTE="Rick dWhen it comes between Frankin and Coulter they are the same but from different sides of the coin. One is on the far right and the other is on the far left.

I haven't read anything from Franken but I have heard him on the radio and seen him on TV. I have read several books by Coulter and while I think she does give some really good info, she is a female poster child for what Conservatives should try to not be. She is to extreme with none of the humor of Michael Savage.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:10 am
I didn't say that Baldimo :wink: that quote. But who cares?
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:13 am
Franken: high school wrestler/comedian/leftist. Hates America. Ann Coulter: Journalist/Hulk Hogan/conservative. Believes in America. (She'll vote Bush.)
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:14 am
Hahaha. Funny. Franken's predictions come true: criticising America is equal to hating America in the eyes of some. Funny, though also sad.
0 Replies