Does the God of the Bible have a Name?

BroRando

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 06:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The 'wicked' are those explained in this prophecy in (2 Timothy 3:1-5). Notice it mentions a specific time period. I think you will get the sense of it.

"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal,  having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness,  betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,  having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away." (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Another prophecy undergoing fulfillment. "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 06:29 pm
@BroRando,
I won't name any one, but one person comes to mind. He's always on the national stage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:00 pm
The prophesies are always undergoing fulfillment, for two thousand years. How many more thousands would somebody care to estimate?
TomTomBinks

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:26 pm
@BroRando,
Yes, it is so. But it has always been so. There have always been wicked men. Every generation laments the laziness and disrespectful nature of the new generation and fears the imminent fall of civilization. From the ancient Greeks to the Romans there are records of older gentlemen saying exactly this. Apparently the early Christians felt the same way.
How old are you, BroRando? It is a sign of old age (in years or just in attitude) to criticize the behaviors of the young.
neologist

Sat 11 Jun, 2016 11:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
We all know all humans are sinners, but the definition is 'wicked.'
My short answer:
Those who know and understand God's will and work against it.
Not sure of the percentage
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 11 Jun, 2016 12:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't worry about those things that doesn't matter to my life. That's the reason I 'left' religion as a teenager.
neologist

Sat 11 Jun, 2016 12:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The prophesies are always undergoing fulfillment, for two thousand years. How many more thousands would somebody care to estimate?
Well, Jesus prophesied that the "good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations" first. (Matthew 24:14) As of this writing, the Watchtower Society publishes in 817 languages. How many more languages would somebody care to estimate is needed?

cicerone imposter

Sat 11 Jun, 2016 04:51 pm
@neologist,
All those people who wrote the bible were delusional. They talked about heaven without any objective evidence for it. As for hell, we all die. If Jesus came back to life, he was not brain dead. These are medical certainties.
Builder

Mon 13 Jun, 2016 02:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They talked about heaven without any objective evidence for it.

What I got out of my readings of the redacted version of the bible; the meek shall inherit the earth, and that is where heaven will be.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 13 Jun, 2016 02:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
"Our father who art in heaven...."
Where is heaven?
You're a science fan CI. Maybe it's in one of those dimensions that we can't see that some scientists insist must be there.

The possibilities are endless for a God able to create universes with a word.
It seems rather weak to try and say 'there is no God' based on your own inability to see a heaven.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 13 Jun, 2016 02:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I don't worry about those things that doesn't matter to my life. That's the reason I 'left' religion as a teenager.
Then why are you still drawn to these theistic threads like a moth to a flame?

I know you just can't stay away anyhow but please come back soon, you're always welcome.
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Jun, 2016 02:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
These religious threads are interesting for the simple fact that the majority of humans believe in religion. All my siblings are religious, and are christians.
The title of this forum is interesting to me based on the age of christianity vs homo sapiens sapiens on this planet. It's not logical to me that a "Jesus" would arrive on the scene only 2000 years ago when humans have lived here for over 200,000 years.
Science has also shown us the evolution of homo sapiens. As humans, we evolved as primates from something quite different than contemporary humans.
People can deny science all they want. I prefer science over hokus pokus.
Leadfoot

Mon 13 Jun, 2016 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The title of this forum is interesting to me based on the age of christianity vs homo sapiens sapiens on this planet. It's not logical to me that a "Jesus" would arrive on the scene only 2000 years ago when humans have lived here for over 200,000 years.
Not sure what the connection is between 'the name of God' and the age of homosap is but ok.

But to you point about the arrival time of Jesus, keep in mind that the first man in the bible does not necessarily have anything to do with the first homosap. God could choose anytime to breath spirit into an existing specie or could have created a new one from scratch.

The bible does say that Jesus did come well after the first man though. I don't know why he chose to do that but I guess being God has its privileges.
0 Replies

BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:12 pm
If you were to meet someone you liked, the first thing you would want to know is there Name. Getting to know that person without knowing there Name would make it impossible. "That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth." (Psalms 83:18 King James Version)
cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:45 pm
@BroRando,
"their name?" "Jehovah" is a man made god. No evidence.
BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No evidence? Why do archaeologists research the bible to find lost cities and treasures?
0 Replies

BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most prophecies have already been fulfilled. People are too busy to see the forest full of trees.
BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:32 pm
@TomTomBinks,
(2 Timothy 3:1-5) Where do you fit in? Godliness but proving false to it's power?
0 Replies

Jay2know

Tue 21 Jun, 2016 09:30 pm
God must have a name, everything else does.
roger

Tue 21 Jun, 2016 10:14 pm
@Jay2know,
If there is only one god, I don't see why it would have gender, let alone a name.
0 Replies