Does the God of the Bible have a Name?

InfraBlue

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 01:20 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Mostly so people will know who I am talking about.

Heh, the god of the Bible's name, lost in translation.
maxdancona

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 03:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
Maybe it's Allah.
BroRando

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Did you know the Jews and Arabs are brothers with the same Father? Abraham son Ishmael (Arabian) and Issac (Hebrew). Notice Ishmael's Mother (Hagar) God's Name is Jehovah?

"Jehovah’s angel added: “Here you are pregnant, and you will give birth to a son, and you must name him Ishʹma·el, for Jehovah has heard your affliction." (Genesis 16:11)
maxdancona

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 04:13 pm
@BroRando,

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:55 am
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:

Did you know the Jews and Arabs are brothers with the same Father?

That's as true as Zeus being born in the cave I visited on Crete. As long as you treat myth as fact you're never going to see the truth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:30 am
@BroRando,
Does the God of the Bible have a Name?

Mud
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 06:53 am
@maxdancona,
The name Allah is an Arabic expression of the term El or Il, which means God, or powerful one. Allah like God, are not actually names but titles.

My understanding of Muslim faith is that they believe the writings of Moses (the Torah), and that Allah is the God of these writings, the God that when asked by Moses in the book of Exodus, what are we to call you, gave his name "יהוה" (Strongs 1961). which is transliterated to yeh-ho-vaw' or Yahweh and a ton of other pronunciations depending on your country of reference.
BroRando

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:08 am
God has many titles, including Almighty, Creator, and Lord. (Job 34:12; Ecclesiastes 12:1; Daniel 2:47) But has he given himself a name?
If God has a Personal Name, then why has Religion tried to hide it by removing his Name from the Bible some 7,000 times?

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

TomTomBinks

Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:40 am
@BroRando,
Apparently it's a conspiracy. Past religions have removed God's name so we can't get close to him. But the Jehova's Witnesses have restored God's name in their Bible and so prove that they are the TRUE religion. I'm sold, where do I sign up?
InfraBlue

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:51 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

My understanding of Muslim faith is that they believe the writings of Moses (the Torah), and that Allah is the God of these writings, the God that when asked by Moses in the book of Exodus, what are we to call you, gave his name "יהוה" (Strongs 1961). which is transliterated to yeh-ho-vaw' or Yahweh and a ton of other pronunciations depending on your country of reference.

It's transliterated into a ton of other pronunciations depending on one's country of reference, or one's language of reference?

InfraBlue

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:55 am
@Smileyrius,
One would think that a god that compiled a collection of books that one could run a thread through would be more exact about the pronunciation of his very name.

It calls to question the very assumption that a thread could be run through that compilation.
neologist

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:12 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
One would think that a god that compiled a collection of books that one could run a thread through would be more exact about the pronunciation of his very name.
The issue of pronunciation is of little significance when compared to the issues of his sovereignty and human integrity. He has endured considerably more, as has all of humanity, for the sake of that name and the purpose it defines.
InfraBlue wrote:
It calls to question the very assumption that a thread could be run through that compilation.
And yet, here we are.
neologist

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:16 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Apparently it's a conspiracy. Past religions have removed God's name so we can't get close to him. . .

Apparently it's succeeding.
BroRando

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:55 pm
"This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation." (Exodus 3:15)
edgarblythe

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:59 pm
@BroRando,
All spelled out in English like that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 02:32 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
The issue of pronunciation is of little significance when compared to the issues of his sovereignty and human integrity. He has endured considerably more, as has all of humanity, for the sake of that name and the purpose it defines.

Yeah, trifling details, like a sovereign god's very name.
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
And yet, here we are.

Yeah, here we are questioning that assumption.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 02:33 pm
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:

God has many titles, including Almighty, Creator, and Lord. (Job 34:12; Ecclesiastes 12:1; Daniel 2:47) But has he given himself a name?
If God has a Personal Name, then why has Religion tried to hide it by removing his Name from the Bible some 7,000 times?

BroRando wrote:

"This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation." (Exodus 3:15)
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed[/b]

Wow, the JW's deploy spambots.
TomTomBinks

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Wow, the JW's deploy spambots.

Yeah, sometimes the 'bots show up at your door.
0 Replies

roger

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

He got pissed off at Moses for even asking. What's in a name anyway? Does a spirit have vocal cords?

Yeah! And if there is only one god, what would be the point of it having a name?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:22 pm
@neologist,
So the religions of the world for the past 2,000 years have been in cahoots with each other to distance us from god..... Let that sink in for a moment......And this is because?..... They are employees of Satan? They are really, really mean?
But wait, the Jehova's Witlesses come to the rescue of mankind and restore god's name to the Bible! Now we can say the magical name of god and what; get three wishes? Win a trip to Cabo San Lucas?
Wouldn't your god know you were praying to him regardless of whether you used his name or not? Would he be confused and think "oh, wait, they must be praying to some other god". Or is it like a magic spell and you have to get the words exactly right like in Harry Potter when Ron screws up an incantation? In that case wouldn't you have to learn the correct pronunciation in ancient Hebrew? Try to apply some logic once in a while.