What are good resources for creating fictional comic book/cartoon towns/cities & mapping them out?

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:10 am
If you are going to create fictional cities you have to map them out and figure out where everything in that town/city goes, and also figure out where that town or city will go in contrast to other cities and towns.

What are some resources for creating fictional comic book cities/towns and mapping them out? I have been trying to find some online and I haven't found any. Please help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 20,872 • Replies: 138
No top replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:37 am
@JGoldman10,
Why would you need such online resources, as if they even exist (which I doubt)? Can't you just use your imagination to map out a fictional city in a comic book? How complicated can it be? Perhaps I'm dense, but you seem to be making this more difficult than it has to be. I don't get it.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:22 am
@wmwcjr,
When they create fictional towns or cities for a comic book or cartoon, there HAS to be some consistency.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:24 am
@wmwcjr,
Where would your city or town be located in relation to real towns or cities? Are there any neighboring fictional towns or cities around it?

Foe example where would Metropolis or Gotham City be located on a map?

Specific places in a fictional city have to be in some set location in that fictional city or town.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:25 am
@wmwcjr,
I think I did see some online resources somewhere but I don't know where to look.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:57 am
@JGoldman10,
Well, good luck. Smile
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:15 pm
@wmwcjr,
When I was on the DC Comics Boards, someone told me about some resources for creating a comic book city or town - I'll have to dig that up.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
@wmwcjr,
The only thing I can think up right now is just look at a map of a real town or city and use that as a guide when you design one.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
The brain is as good a resource as any.

Over the years I've created cities and towns, entire planets even.

What you need:

1)The back of a door, preferably unpainted wood or painted in a light color such as sand, white or sky blue.
Table tops or large wooden boards are also acceptable as are sheets of paper, including as hysterical as it may seem, the back of large wall maps. (I've used all the above).

An old kickball or other smooth surfaced ball or an old globe, paint it over with a flat paint. These work well as planets.

2)Several markers, red, black, green, blue, yellow orange and others. These will be used to indicate traffic lights, bus routes and things of that nature as well as the streets themselves which I tend to draw in black.

3)Time, lots of spare time,

4)A world almanac or an atlas or even better, both. These help you with town names and street names. The almanac includes people, so you can get more street and village names,

5)measuring sticks, they help draw straightish lines.

6)imagination... I really can't stress this part enough, you really need a vivid imagination to create your own unique city, town, municipality, state, country, planer, solar system etc.

You can draw freehand for islands and then create the streets by drawing lines that extend clear across, or which stop at various places such as parks or cemeteries or universities or shopping centers and the such.

A good working plan will include schools, both private and public and at various levels, the grade schools, the middle schools and the high schools. High schools should also include at least one vocational or trade school.

There should be churches and synagogues and mosques and Buddhist temples and other places of worship including the Agnostic House of Heathens, located oddly enough on Church Road or on St.Ibbybibbybop Avenue.

There should be a prison....I like to keep them along a river or ocean front space.

Be sure to label things such as government office areas, police departments, fire departments, gas stations,

And a few hospitals, religious, non religious and public.

You can also create your fictional city based on an actual city. Make slight adjustments, add a river, take what is currently uptown, make it downtown, move a hip happening area from the west side to the east side.

Without true imagination however none of the above will be of any use.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:29 pm
@wmwcjr,
Did you ever watch old Disney TV cartoons, or read any old Disney comics?

Duckburg is a mapped out city.
St. Canard was a neighboring city.
The towns where Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck lived in were mapped out.

They even made up some states where these characters live.

Ever look at DC or Marvel Comics? A lot of fictional cities, towns and even countries exist and they co-exist alongside real places.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:32 pm
Who is the clown who PUT STUPID TAGS on this thread? This ISN'T a STUPID TOPIC or SPAM.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:44 pm
@Sturgis,
JGoldman10, you forgot to say, "Thank you."
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
Of course, I have. You seem to be making a mountain out of nothing. I don't get it. But, then again, I don't know anything about cartooning.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
Don't expect to receive an answer.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:58 pm
Here is one such resource I found about creating fictional towns or cities:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5049711_design-fictional-town-city.html

Resources like this exist - I will dig around and see if I can scout out others.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Where were your ficitional places in contrast to real ones? Did real places coexist along your ficitional ones?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
I would ensure that the anal bleaching clinic is located next to the church, so as to ensure that all of the parishioner's ringpieces are squeaky clean.

There may be some who's staining is beyond redemption. This could prove a useful story line. You could call it Bishop Goldie's Black Barking Spider.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you for your input.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:12 pm
@izzythepush,
What the bleach clinic operator doesn't know, is that the joke's on him. Goldie's had his farmers permanently tattooed. He's hoping the repeated chocolate speedway bleaching, (under guarantee, a shiny chutney locker or your next bleaching's free) will sort out his Chalfonts, and avoid a large medical bill. He's a crafty one is our Goldie.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
I sincerely thank you for being polite. Smile
0 Replies