Does the God of the Bible have a Name?

neologist

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 12:13 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Wouldn't your god know you were praying to him regardless of whether you used his name or not . . .
I'm certain he would. But if you knew and understood God's name and yet refused to use it, that might be a different story.
TomTomBinks wrote:
Try to apply some logic once in a while.
Logic is in short supply in these fora.
BroRando

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:12 am
@neologist,
The destruction of Babylon the Great would immeasurably brighten the earthly situation for Jehovah’s people, his Christian witnesses, for they have been misrepresented, defamed and persecuted by the world empire of Babylonish religion.—Dan. 10:21; 12:1; Rev. 12:7; 1 Thess. 4:16, 17.

The trinity is a Babylonish deity that replaced the deity of Christ. "And it (trinity) opened its mouth in blasphemies against God to blaspheme his name and his dwelling place, even those residing in heaven." (Rev 13:6)
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:42 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Logic is in short supply in these fora.

No one exemplifies that more than you.

With all this "Babylon the Great" BS, i would think this joker is one of you Watchtower buddies.
BroRando

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 05:20 am
@Setanta,
The trinity denies Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. "Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son." (1 John 2:22)
0 Replies

BroRando

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 06:04 am
@Builder,
Actually the KJV in 1611 refused to put Jesus in the Bible. The King had no problem putting his name on the Bible. Things that make you go ummmmmmm.....
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 09:58 am
@Setanta,
Welcome to the show.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:55 pm
If the name was at all important, I would think it very strange that when the apostles asked Jesus how and what they should pray for, he began it simply with: "Our Father,...".

If the name was important, don't you think he would have used it? I don't think there is a single example of him doing that. .A person's name is just an identifier, since there is but one God, there is no need for one.
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
"Our father who art in heaven...."
Where is heaven?
BroRando

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 08:44 pm
Jesus used his Father's Name many times. Here's one example. "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan:
for it is written, Thou shalt worship the LORD, (Jehovah Deu 6:13; Deu 10:20 ) thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
maxdancona

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 10:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
Of course God is an Anglophone. He said "let there be light" didn't he?

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:33 pm
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:

Jesus used his Father's Name many times. Here's one example. "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan:
for it is written, Thou shalt worship the LORD, (Jehovah Deu 6:13; Deu 10:20 ) thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

You're conflating texts written in Koine Greek with texts written in Hebrew with decidedly different meanings. Kurios which is the KG word in the Luke passage you quote that is translated as "lord" isn't used as the proper name of the god of the Bible. In the Deuteronomy verses that you quote, the Hebrew word YHVH is used to mean both "lord" and the proper name of the god of the Bible.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Where is heaven?

It's here on Earth.

The question I want answered (by the "faithful"), is what is everyone going to do for eternity? All I can find, is that you get to sit at the feet of the almighty, and bask in his glory. That's it. For ever and ever, amen.
Builder

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:44 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
....i would think this joker is one of your Watchtower buddies.

Jimi Hendrix fans?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:11 am
@Builder,
Is god going to have another flood on earth to cleanse it from sin?
BroRando

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 01:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, however it will be cleansed from "wickedness" soon. :-)
cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
@BroRando,
Please define "soon?" 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, 100 years, or something in between two numbers listed?
0 Replies

BroRando

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:17 pm
The Bible doesn't give an exact date. Let me share a few scriptures. "For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth." (Psalms 37:9)

Religion says the world will be destroyed by fire, but that is not what the Bible teaches. "Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there." (Psalms 37:10)

False Religion used to burn people at the stake for reading the Bible. Religion hates me because I expose their hypocrisy through Bible Studies. Watch this link and SEE what Religion is hiding from you! Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 04:13 pm
@BroRando,
Can you define "who the wicked" are?
It's my guess it accounts for about 99.999% of humanity.
neologist

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 05:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Can you define "who the wicked" are?
It's my guess it accounts for about 99.999% of humanity.
100% of humans are sinners.

1] Some wicked.
2] Some unrighteous. Most, I think.
3] Some righteous.

Since we all have free will, it seems safe to say that membership in any group is not locked.
cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Jun, 2016 05:26 pm
@neologist,
We all know all humans are sinners, but the definition is 'wicked.'