Trying to conceive-getting desperate

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:34 pm
My partner and I have been together for 4 years. I have 2 children from a previous relationship and we have been trying to conceive for around 18mths with no luck. My partner had chickenpox in his late 20's and it was so severe they said it may affect his fertility. The problem we have is that although he can get an erection, it doesn't last very long, and when it does, he very very rarely ejaculates. He doesn't smoke and doesn't drink excessively nor is he particularly stressed out. it is starting to cause us problems and he feels a failure. Could it be linked to the chicken pox in any way.? When I suggest seeing a GP he is very dismissive. Can we try IVF? He's an only child and he's desperate for a child of his own (not to mention his parents constantly dropping hints about babies!) but I really don't know what to do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,396 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:44 pm
@Frustrated-birm,
If he is not interested in seeing a doctor, there is not much you can do. Before doing any sort of medically assisted conception, you are going to both have to be tested anyway.
Frustrated-birm

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:54 pm
@engineer,
Would I have to be tested too, even though I have children. I think the reason he is dismissive is because he's scared. He's very much a mans man and to him it's admittance that he needs help. Maybe if we had some kind of idea what to expect, what our options were, he would be a bit more open to the idea of discussing with a doctor
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:22 pm
@Frustrated-birm,
You both need to see a GP for testing.
Frustrated-birm

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
What do they test?
engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@Frustrated-birm,
You might want to look it up online for a better answer, but for men, typically urinary tract stuff (including a prostate check) and sperm count and mobility.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:54 pm
http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/male-fertility-tests

http://americanpregnancy.org/infertility/male-fertility-testing/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:55 pm
@Frustrated-birm,
Frustrated-birm wrote:

Would I have to be tested too, even though I have children.

yes

0 Replies