Do You Think Your Vote Will Count?

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:48 am
How confident are your that when you vote, it will actually be counted? Do you trust the way your state is handling the election process?

Feel free to post any information you have on your states voting system, problems, changes since 2000, etc.

This article is about Florida, the politics, and changes since 2000.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2105524/

One of the things I found interesting was:

"According to Gallup polls taken yearly since 2000, roughly 50 percent of Americans believe that the election of George W. Bush was either "won on a technicality" or "stolen." Only 34 percent are "very confident" that the vote will be counted accurately in November."

I wondered how the confidence numbers would compare to the members we have here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,792 • Replies: 43
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:08 am
I plan to register in 100 places. Then my vote will REALLY count!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
I feel 99.9% certain my vote will be counted. However, being a Texan, it will be burried under an avalanche of GOP votes. One man, one vote - phooey. Not 'til we do away with the electoral college.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:03 am
Right, edgar. I'm not certain, squinney, if my vote will count; guess it depends on how they count 'em here in Florida.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:05 am
No. The fix is in.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:06 am
I voted "Not Very Confident". It isn't that I am behind any conspiracy theory that the Repubs will try and supress the vote in Oklahoma. (If I lived in Flori-duh, I might mean it that way). The thing is, my vote won't count for much her in Okie land because I'm confident Bush will take it. Kerry is sitting at 30% or so currently. I will say that on the way to my husbands office yesterday (he works in SW OKC) I was surprised by the number of Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers I saw. It was a little encouraging. We do have a senate race underway currently that could go Dem because the Rebub's candidate is a little----um----radical on the abortion issue. At least we don't have that many electoral votes! Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
At least Bear and I have paper ballots. At the Primary last month I inquired as to whether or not we would be using the same machines for voting. I was told there were no plans to change voting methods. We us a paper ballot that requires the voter to connect the arrow with a black marker. It is read by a machine, but at least there is a paper trail.

Also, I have been asked my name and address for match up in their register before giving me a ballot, but have not been required to show picture ID. I know some have argued that is disinfranchising since not everyone knows to bring ID with them, but I think it is probably a good idea to have voters verify their identity.

I could have walked into the polling place and said I was my neighbor. I know their names and addresses.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:20 am
Hi, PKB. I spent a month in Oklahoma this summer. Was in downtown OKC several times. Visited the Stockyards (Dad works there - not a tourist attraction), road the gondala, and attended baseball games. I didn't see any Kerry bumper stickers, which was a little scary. Glad to hear they are now appearing.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
Hey squinney! Glad you got to pay our "humble" little state a visit! Smile My my hubby works just down from the Stockyards so "What a small world" comes into play here. No, the Stockyards aren't a tourist attraction. Not much in Oklahoma City is. I suggest T-town (Tulsa) on your next visit. My husband is director of a union. Back in 2000 he and his staff spent countless days out getting their constituancy registered to vote. That is where the battle is won or lost my friend. Last election (or whatever you prefer to call it :wink: ) the unions in Oklahoma had 100% voter registration! Woohooo!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:54 am
Of course. I live in Palm Beach County. They know what they're doing here.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
Bill- Yeah, about as much as they know in Hillsborough County. Evil or Very Mad

Did you know that they have to redo the expansion of the Crosstown Expressway, 'cause it wasn't engineered properly? They have to get rid of a whole load of these huge cement supports, that don't. Someone remarked that this boo-boo will probably turn into the biggest artificial reef in history.

Sometimes I wonder why Florida does not collapse by the weight of their own stupidity!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:04 pm
I live in a blue state, so even if my vote doesn't count, the state will still go for Kerry.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:05 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why Florida does not collapse by the weight of their own stupidity!!!
They do that stuff here, constantly. They recently spent $20,000,000 on a bridge with ramps that don't make State Code... so traffic is only uninterrupted on one of the two roads. The other has a stoplight on the top of the bridge that offers a "blind" intersection where I would wager there's been an average of 3 accidents a day since. We built a super expensive luxury Cruise terminal in what is essentially a ghetto area, but of course no "Luxury Cruise line would want to park there... lol. Here in Palm Beach County; the Courthouse and the School Board Buildings are 2 of the most impressive buildings in the city, while our kids go to school in trailers. It's enough to make you sick.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:01 pm
Speaking of making you sick: I see you have taken the cheese wedge out of mothballs, Bill.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:06 pm
Watch it, Gus. Don't make me pay Soz to put one on you... again.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:17 pm
I look for the Packers to have a very mediocre season this year, Bill. I think a 7-9 record would be an admiral accomplishment for the current Packer team.

Do you concur?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
Gus, the way I hear it the Packers recruit their cheerleaders from Yale. Is that true?
0 Replies

Mr Bain

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:35 pm
I'll be voting for Bush in a state he is guaranteed to lose (New York). Will my vote count? Absolutely not.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Superbowl, Gus. 12-16 Wins on the way. Our cheerleaders are volunteers Dys... so you got to cut them a little slack.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:54 pm
we live in california.

our vote used to count.

now if the republicans don't like the outcome, they engineer a recall with a little help from karl rove. poor darryl issa... for a few minutes he thought they would really let him be governor.

"if they'll do it with you, they'll do it to you"

words to live by.
0 Replies