The Most Important Issue of this Election?

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:38 pm
also know as the "fragile Y" syndrome
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:39 pm
Baldimo wrote:
How has science proven gay people are born gay? I would like to see the biology on it. When it comes to psychology it isn't an exact science by any means. Until we learn how the brain works psychology is at best a guessing game. As stated I would like to see the biology on the issue and go from there. Is there a gay gene, or a gay chromosome?

nope, it's a gay vaccine...democrats and liberals have been slipping it into the water supply for years...when John Kerry is elected we are sending out teams in pink uniforms to give it to you and all other conservatives in suppository form.....so load your weapons, bolt the doors and head for the storm cellar......
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:44 pm
The most important issue? One word: gangsterism, and the democrat party which is the political embodiment of gangsterism. The nation has not had time to recover from the last democrat administration yet.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:46 pm
Jimmy Carter?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:52 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
How has science proven gay people are born gay? I would like to see the biology on it. When it comes to psychology it isn't an exact science by any means. Until we learn how the brain works psychology is at best a guessing game. As stated I would like to see the biology on the issue and go from there. Is there a gay gene, or a gay chromosome?

nope, it's a gay vaccine...democrats and liberals have been slipping it into the water supply for years...when John Kerry is elected we are sending out teams in pink uniforms to give it to you and all other conservatives in suppository form.....so load your weapons, bolt the doors and head for the storm cellar......

Do you always make fun of the questions you can't answer and have no proof for? There are more then just the x an y type, in fact there are 26 pairs of chromosomes in a human cell. Could one of these pairs in fact combine to create homosexual people?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:55 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Do you always make fun of the questions you can't answer and have no proof for?

As a matter of fact, yes. That's our BiPo.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:55 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Do you always make fun of the questions you can't answer and have no proof for? There are more then just the x an y type, in fact there are 26 pairs of chromosomes in a human cell. Could one of these pairs in fact combine to create homosexual people?

Not at all....I do however have a habit of poking fun at provocative remarks in the form of a question made by people whose questions are merely rhetorical and whose main purpose is to be adversarial......why do you ask?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:10 am
sozobe wrote:
Huh. I was actually going for "most important" in terms of "the issue that is most likely to swing swing voters", or "the issue that is most likely to actually have an effect on the outcome of the election", but this is an interesting direction, keep it up.

In that sense, I think it is the most important issue. The middle class is where the swing votes are, and if it comes under pressure from the economy, people change affiliations. Iraq, the other big policy issue, may alienate Republican soldiers, but soldiers are a small group compared to the American middle class. And the soldier's families tend to be poor people who either don't vote, or vote Democratic anyway. Iraq may increase turnout among these families, and I hope it does. But when a non-voter turns into a voter, this 'only' increases the vote count on one side. If a voter swings, it increases on one side and decreases on the other. On that basis, I think the economy may well be affecting the outcome more than Iraq.

Sofia wrote:
A recent 'set to' I enjoined was with a few black students in a psychology class, who began by saying they were angry that gays were comparing their right to marry with blacks' civil rights. Maybe I'm missing something--but the two seem identical to me.

Could it be explained by the competition of both interest groups for a limited amount of civil rights legislation, and for a limited amount of public attention? I don't know one way or the other, but it would make sense to me.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:26 am
I don't think it's a matter of either being born gay or choosing to be gay anymore than becoming a Christian or Muslim is a matter of genes or choice. Children are conditioned to a certain religion, and the same may be at least partially true for sexual orientation, though not consciously like religious conditioning.

So what do we do? Declare the everybody has equal rights except gays, until science discovers why people are gay?

If gayness is a neurosis, then so is discrimination. Is saying my neurosis is better than your neurosis what America is all about now?
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
1. healthcare
2. international relations (get the f*** out of Iraq)
3. quality education from pre-school to grad school for ALL .
4. quality of life issues (clean water, air, land preservation, etc) actually addressed as a priority
5. significantly reduced military spending.
6. absolute and total separation of church and state.
7. abolition of local school boards and the realization that education is not based on a rural farm economy (year around schools)
8. enforce the bill of rights
9. utilize the vast resources of america to enrich not only our citizens but the world at large.
10. don't hit, play nice and share your toys.

IMHO you have very good points but I'd list them something like this:

1. PAYING DOWN THE ENORMOUS DEFICIT!!!! (I don't want my children or my children's children's children's children paying for this screw up)

2. HEALTHCARE! Why in he)) can't we get something done on this?

3. THE ECONOMY AND JOBS ( This President hasn't created 1 single net job since he was appointed President. This means that more Americans are unemployed and the poverty level has increased.)

4. Raise taxes on corporations that want to outsource American jobs. Give the real breaks and benefits to the American worker or as Alan Jackson refers to the American worker---"The Little Man".

5. NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND----BU))SH^T! Let's actually not leave any behind this time around.

6. IMPROVE FOREIGN RELATIONS R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Find out what it means to me! (Couldn't resist that Rolling Eyes )

7. ENFORCE FINES AND RESTRICTIONS ON COMPANIES AND CORPORATIONS THAT CONTINUE TO IGNORE ENVIRONMENTAL LAWS. Let's not spoil it for our kids, their kids and their kid's kid's kid's kids.

8. ROLL BACK THE BUSH TAX CUTS! (Sorry if this O-ffends some of you. I'd do it!) If you're gonna give a break to any group of people, give it to the single working moms out there or the middle-class with 2 income households. I know plenty of these families that are living hand to mouth and they still hold to the dream that they will somehow own a home, send their kids to college or even eventually have time to take a much needed family vacation. That's not to even mention the fact that so many of them need healthcare and can't afford it. Fortunately for my husband and I we had excellent healthcare when my son needed his appendix removed earlier this year or when he was 6 and needed implants in his feet to correct a severe case of flat feet. God forbid anything like that befall those suffering from the lack of coverage.

9. I WOULD NOT DECREASE MILITARY SPENDING AND I WOULDN'T PULL TROOPS OUT OF OR AWAY FROM N. KOREA (who, btw, actually HAS nuclear weapons unlike a certain small country that we invaded already) Give me an alcoholic break Drunk ! ( I love that emoticon!)

10. NO MORE OIL FROM FOREIGN SOURCES! ( I can flip-flop on this one :wink:! I just think it is ridiculous that we export oil to China and turn around and import oil from China! Yeah.)

From #4 down I'd do a little shuffling as to importance to me but basically those are my concerns. Any takers?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
sozobe wrote:
Huh. I was actually going for "most important" in terms of "the issue that is most likely to swing swing voters", or "the issue that is most likely to actually have an effect on the outcome of the election", but this is an interesting direction, keep it up.

Right.

Well, IT'S NOT THE ECONOMY, STUPID. The big issues get the attention, but do they capture the swing vote? I suspect it's some collection of the little things that just happen to be close to home. Did you know that President Bush was in Farmington last Thursday? Chasing those elusive five electoral votes, I suppose. but the trip involved closing Main St. for several hours, making a number of us late to work after lunch. I've heard some negative comments on this. Who would have believed?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:01 pm
I tend to agree with roger in that the most important issue in this election doesn't exist.

I think it comes down to each person's sense of security and well being. If you have health insurance and a son serving in Iraq, healthcare may not be the most important issue for you.

The swing voters, by their very nature, are not voting in accordance with ideology. More likely they are voting for the man whom their gut tells them will be the best leader for America. What defines the best leader for them is likely to be based on a set of characteristics that personally resonates with them. How they discern the characteristics of each candidate is interesting to consider: Convention speeches? TV Commercials? Debates?Dinner table discussions? The comments of a Hollywood star?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:44 pm
I'm generally right there with you in terms of shades of grey and generalities suck, but I think that along with all of what you said there can be a single issue that is more important than the rest. That for say (totally made up numbers) 54% of undecided voters, the economy is the most important issue, while for 45% of 'em it's Iraq... etc. I don't think it's zero sum, that *only* one is important, more of a ranking, which among several issues is most important.

Anyway, what I found most interesting about the article, and quoted, is that Mr. Canny is not even a swing voter, really -- he's been planning to vote for Bush. But might change his mind. One person does not a statistically valid sample make, but I found it interesting.

I'd read something a while back about the period of (when I read it) through the incumbent's convention being when people decide what they think about the incumbent -- if, in sum, they don't like what they see, then they look at the challenger and decide if they can stomach voting for him instead.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:06 pm
I heard one pundit say that undecided voters usually vote against the incumbent. The reasoning is as follows: If you asked someone whether they expected to still be married in ten months and they said they were undecided, it looks bad for the future of the marriage. Likewise for the incumbent.
0 Replies