Greece hates us too!

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:25 am
Powell Scraps Plan to Attend Olympics Ceremony

By Michele Kambas

ATHENS (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) abruptly canceled plans to attend the Olympics closing ceremony in Athens on Sunday, a visit that had triggered angry protests from anti-war groups.

The State Department said the cancellation was forced in part because of events in Iraq (news - web sites) and Sudan.

U.S. and Greek officials denied Powell changed plans because of protests against U.S. foreign policy that were dispersed when police hurled tear gas on Friday at about 1,000 demonstrators headed in the direction of the U.S. Embassy in Athens.

But Greek activists, who said the threat of street protests also forced Powell to cancel a trip in 2003, were crowing with victory.

"Of course, the cancellation was linked to our protests," activist Yiannis Sifakakis told Reuters. "This is a huge victory for the anti-war movement which protested by the thousands in the streets of Athens last night."

U.S. foreign policy on issues ranging from the Middle East conflict, its war on terror and the war in Iraq is deeply unpopular among Greeks.

On Saturday Greek activists hoisted a massive banner saying "Powell Killer Go Home" on the Acropolis hillside towering over Athens to protest against his planned 24-hour visit. A Greek government source described the use of the site as deplorable.

Some Americans in central Syndagma Square appeared startled at a procession of red flag-waving Greeks carrying posters vilifying Powell.

"Powell is anything but a killer. This makes me sick to the stomach. It is very disheartening," said Judith Foudy, a tourist from California.

full story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 823 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:29 am
Well, the Greeks can be said not to be overly fond of the Shrub, and Colin Powell, however, i feel safe in saying that they don't necessarily hate me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
They're just pissed cause we were instrumental in getting their sprinters tossed.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
Our global image is revealed more everyday.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
I think it's a little bit of Olympic hangover. The cost ballooned, the deficit will be hurting them for decades. I heard the rush to finish on time doubled the cost.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:55 am
Re: Greece hates us too!
kickycan wrote:
"Powell is anything but a killer. This makes me sick to the stomach. It is very disheartening," said Judith Foudy, a tourist from California.

I wonder how much we in America actually know about how the rest of the world feels about us right now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
You're right to wonder. I remember trying to hitchike in France around 1970 and my buddy had a US flag on his backpack. We had to dodge a lot of abuse. It was my first inkling that we're abhored in many societies...but then again...it WAS France...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:42 pm
funny thing is, I wonder exactly how much money the US pours in directly or indirectly into the Olympics??? what would it be without the US bucks?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:05 pm
Quote:
The Organising Committees of the Olympic Games (OCOGs)

Long-term broadcast and sponsorship revenue now allows the IOC to provide the majority of the Organising Committees' budget up front, with revenue effectively guaranteed prior to the selection of the host city.

The Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Winter Games budget was provided entirely through the support of Olympic marketing and broadcast programmes. The Salt Lake Organising Committee received approximately US$ 1.39 billion from Olympic marketing programmes, including US$ 443 million from broadcast revenue.

The Athens Organising Committee will receive approximately US$ 960 million, roughly 60% of its operating budget from the IOC's sale of broadcast rights and worldwide sponsorship.

link

another link - interesting
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
Smart move on Mr. Powell's part.

The benefits to be gained by going to Athens, thereby provoking the anti-war mob there, was simply not woth the costs in political capital.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:35 pm
kind a boggles you mind this much $ for 10,000 athletes
06 July 2004
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today confirmed that the contract for the Olympic broadcast rights for Europe for the XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver in 2010 and the Games of the XXX Olympiad in 2012(1) was officially ratified by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) during its General Assembly held on 1 and 2 July in St Petersburg.

51 countries
The agreement, announced recently by the IOC covers 51 countries, excluding Italy, and a wide range of media categories, including for the first time multi-media and mobile telephony.

EUR 614 millions
The agreement is valued at €614 million (US$746 million) an increase of around 40% from the previous contract(2). With respect to Italy, the IOC will commence direct negotiations with different broadcasters and media groups in due course.

Promotion of the Olympic ideals
In addition to the contract value, the EBU and its members have committed to major additional Olympic programming and promotional efforts to support the Olympic brand and promotion of the Olympic ideal outside Games time which the IOC values at a further €125 million.

Building on conclusion with GE for the US Olympic Broadcast
Building on the successful conclusion of the US Olympic Broadcast negotiations in June of last year, which were awarded to General Electric and NBC for a total package of US$2,201 billion(3) and with many important territories still to be negotiated, the European contract puts the IOC on track to reach financing of over US$3billion, monies that it will then redistribute to the world of sport, via the Organising Committees for the Olympic Games, the National Olympic Committees and the International Federations.

Growing value and significance
Commenting on the awarding of the European TV rights, IOC President Jacques Rogge said: "The IOC is delighted to confirm the signature by the EBU of the contract for broadcast and new media rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympic Games. The EBU's offer recognises the ever-growing value and significance of the Games."

Widest coverage guaranteed
According to Rogge the agreement not only guarantees the widest coverage of the Olympic Games throughout the European territory but also ensures the promotion of the Olympic values on an on-going basis, allowing the IOC to fulfil its mission as laid out in the Olympic Charter.

link
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:40 pm
Obviously most of you forgot that the Greek population was/is by 94% against the war in Iraq ... which doesn't mean at all that they hate the USA!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
I wonder if Judith Foudy is related to Julie Foudy, the soccer star?
0 Replies