Sweating, squealing, sinking...

swolf

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:07 am
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/dg20040828.shtml

Kerry's Crowd: Sweating, Squealing & Sinking
Doug Giles

Quote:

A fat guy in Miami wearing sackcloth, eating habanera peppers and doing pushups on sheet metal at noon in late August would sweat less than Kerry and his cronies, these days. It seems the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth have caused the Democrats to perspire profusely.

What's happened to Mr. Perfect? Could he have, uhhh, been less than accurate concerning his valiant Vietnam days? Did he just exaggerate - or did he lie? -- when he testified and speechified about those atrocious atrocities? Did he really believe that Ramsey Clark had it right on his return from Hanoi, when he said our POWs were being treated well by the North Vietnamese?

Kerry's camp is losing its collective cool, and not without cause. In fact, they're coming unhinged like a stuck door at Jackie Chan's house. They are squealing louder than the wild boar I hit in the spine with a 100 grain Muzzy broad-head launched from my High Country bow while hunting in Texas.

Have you seen the liberal commentators on TV discussing this stuff with a Swift Boat Vet for Truth or someone who has actually read Unfit for Command and now has serious problems with Kerry's war claims? They're straight tripping. Watch them!

Try this: next time you see John O'Neill or one of the other Swifties or an objective, Kerry questioning guest being "interviewed" on one of those lopsided talk shows, turn the sound down on your TV and just observe the body language of the opposing forces.

The Bush haters are shifting, scratching, hemming, hawing and twitching like a 14 year old Amish boy whose mother has just fond his Playboy stash in the horse's feed bag. If you sat through Psych 101 in your undergraduate days, you'll know that they know they're skating on thin and melting ice. Conversely, watching O'Neill and company sit in utter confidence, calmly answering -- when and if allowed -- with pause-free precision every question shot at them, communicates that these dudes are either telling the truth … or else they are Lecter-like in their psychosis.

Since the critics of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth cannot deal honorably with the heat created by Unfit for Command, since they cannot respond to the evidence the Swifties have piled on their candidate, and since they cannot give any substantive reason for Kerry's egregious and slanderous lies in '71 before the Senate and on TV, they revert to:

1. Constantly interrupting the Swifties or their supporters while they're speaking, never allowing them to complete a thought, or …

2. They go Tourette Syndrome on them screaming uncontrollably, and if that doesn't work…

3. They strategically roll their eyes, and if that doesn't work…

4. They flail their arms angrily in the air like an enraged Nell, and if that doesn't work…

5. They kick them off their talk show like Chris Matthews did Michelle Malkin on Hardball. Hey, Michelle, don't take Chris' oaf-like behavior personally. He's got to be upset that the Fox Report, Seinfeld re-runs, and The Animal Planet keep pulling his remaining viewers, who by now must be mostly his relatives, away from his show. And the final tactic the desperate losing left reverts to is…

6. Hypocritically hollering for the Swifties' to be stifled while their 527s continue to churn out their villainous venom for the anti-Bushites, and the heavily biased NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MTV and VH1 crowd.

In the end, if I were liberal, you wouldn't catch me arduously defending Kerry. Yes, they are desperate to get their ideology back on top in Washington and out to the masses, where their ideas and programs will once again be proven disastrous, but I wouldn't be looking to Kerry to be poster boy for my beliefs.

Remember, Senator Kerry is their plan B. Plan A was Howard Dean. He was el Salvador right up until his Exorcist, watch-my-head-spin, moment in Iowa and then their party collectively said, "Holy Schnikeys! We've got to get someone else!!!"

The problem was when they turned to look to another candidate, the choices were … pretty thin. It must have been like arriving at a party a little late where the only thing left to drink is a hot, half-empty can of Schlitz, the only thing left to eat is a half-chewed pickle, and the only girl left to hit on is Courtney Love who's passed out in the fireplace.

Choosing among Dennis Kucinich, Al Sharpton and John Kerry had to be tough. Given the Swifties' heavily footnoted allegations; given Kerry's continued caginess in not directly, line-for-line, answering their contentions, coupled with his continued insult to hundreds of thousands of vets who honorably served in a scandalous war … is this the peg on which you want to hang your hat? Hey, this is a man whose photos are preserved in the Vietcong anti-American war museum!

Why can't we seriously question Kerry? Could it be that a bipartisan group of more than 250 vets who served spitting distance from Kerry might be right? The only way for us to know is not as Max Cleland blustered, for Bush "to put up or shut up", but for Kerry to face and respond to the accusations, clearly.

My ClashPoint is this: Why the trepidation, lefties, if you're standing on such solid, holy ground in defending your would be supreme leader? Why are you seemingly coming apart at the seams? Truth is confident … secure … and okay when questioned. And so are those who side with truth. The nervousness, the overreaction by your liberal camp followers and the blind hypocrisy in wailing for the emasculation of free speech if it is contrary to your position, causes the moderate Democrat and the independent voter to think there may be something to what the Swifties are saying.

You see, "truth needs no defense", as Charles Spurgeon said. "It is a lion that simply needs to be let out of its cage." The Liberals' continued knee jerking, sophomoric defense tactics scream that they're busted and are trying to make the masses look the other way. Instead of denouncing these vets who have a right to air their opinion why not tell JFK, too, to report for duty, burnish his medals, brandish his reports, and have a fresh debate with John O'Neill, 33 years after he lost the first time around?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
"Unfit for Command" Will Hit #1 on NY Times Bestsellers List - 9/05/04.

NYTimes has gotta be hating that !

Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/08/27/barnes/index.html

"I'm very ashamed"
The former Texas official who got George Bush into the National Guard apologizes for making sure that young men with important "family names" did not have to fight in Vietnam.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Jeff Horwitz

Aug. 27, 2004 | Another bombshell in the battle over Vietnam service that has been raging in the 2004 presidential race exploded on the Web Friday. In a video originally posted on the Web by a pro-Kerry organization in Austin, Texas, Ben Barnes, a former lieutenant governor of Texas, apologized for his role in getting a young George W. Bush into the Texas Air National Guard while young men who were not from prominent or wealthy families "died in Vietnam."

"Let's talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush, and I know them both," said Barnes in the video, which was filmed at a gathering of about 200 Kerry supporters in Austin on May 27. "I got a young man named George W. Bush into the Texas National Guard when I was lieutenant governor, and I'm not necessarily proud of that. But I did it. I got a lot of other people in the National Guard because I thought that was what people should do when you're in office, and you help a lot of rich people."

"And I walked to the Vietnam Memorial the other day," Barnes continued, "and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam, and I became more ashamed of myself than I have ever been, because it was the worst thing I ever did, was help a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get into the National Guard. And I'm very sorry about that, and I'm very ashamed, and I apologize to you as voters of Texas."

Barnes then condemned the Republican attacks on John Kerry's war service: "And I tell you that for the Republicans to jump on John Kerry and say that he is not a patriot after he went to Vietnam and was shot at and fought for our freedom and came back here and protested against the war, he's a flip-flopper, let me tell you: John Kerry is a 100 times better patriot than George Bush or Dick Cheney."

The video of Barnes was filmed by Todd Phelan and Mike Nicholson, organizers of a political group called Austin4Kerry. Phelan is currently an organizer for the Travis County Democrats. The video first appeared on the Austin4Kerry Web site on June 25, but was widely overlooked until Friday. The video also includes a separate interview conducted by the same two filmmakers in which Barnes speaks with admiration about Kerry's valor.

Phelan and Nicholson recall they were surprised by the candor of Barnes' remarks while they were filming him at the rally. "To be honest with you, my eyes lit up instantaneously," Phelan told Salon. "I looked at Mike, he looked at me, and it was like 'Did he just say that?'" But at the time, said Phelan, they did not think the video would create a stir. He suggested that the video suddenly became a Web phenomenon because of the heated swift boat controversy that has been fanned by supporters of Bush.

Barnes' story about Bush and the Air National Guard first broke in 1999 as the then Texas governor was mounting his first campaign for the presidency. Bush insisted at the time that neither he nor his father sought Barnes' assistance. "I can tell you what happened," said Bush. "Nothing happened. My Guard unit was looking for pilots and I flew for the Guard. I'm proud of my service and any allegation that my dad asked for special favors is simply not true ... I didn't ask anybody to help get me to the Guard either."

Barnes said at the time that it was a wealthy Bush family friend, a Houston oilman named Sidney Adger, who came to him with the request to help the younger Bush.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
Squinny
Squinny, I finally got the site to show the Ben Barnes speech URL to work - here is the film about his shame for getting George Bush in the Guard. There are several viewer systems for watch it, take your choice.

BBB

If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: 69.59.167.160/media/Barnes%20on%20Vietnam%20-%20RAW%20FEED.mov

OR

Find web pages that contain the term "69.59.167.160/media/Barnes%20on%20Vietnam%20-%20RAW%20FEED.mov"
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:09 pm
Thanks, BBB. I have several links, but all appear to be overloaded when I try. Will look at it after everyone else gets done with the space. Was only able to get a "peek" through the Salon article I posted.

Any other interesting things said in the video? I really wish they would transcribe it.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:18 pm
George W. Bush is not the one who was trying to make an issue out of VietNam here. Other than that, flying a jet fighter is not a safe vocation even in peacetime and Nam, like WW-II, was a logistics push operation in which the vast majority of the troops involved never fired a shot in anger. Flying a jet fighter was at least as dangerous as most jobs for Americans in Nam.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:28 pm
Gotta wonder where he got that medal he's wearin' in the pic.

http://www.awolbush.com/awards.asp
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
JustWonders wrote:
"Unfit for Command" Will Hit #1 on NY Times Bestsellers List - 9/05/04.

NYTimes has gotta be hating that !

Laughing

Consider also the gigolo's reaction to the first bit of real adversity he's encountered during this campaign, i.e. that his first instinct is to run to George W. Bush and insist that he (W.) put a stop to the swiftvet ads which he (W.) has about as much control over as King Canute had over the tides.

What's going to happen the first time president gigolo ever runs into any sort of a problem out there in the world? I mean, W. will be back home barbequeing hamburgers and fishing and doing ranch things. Who's the poor gigolo gonna run to? Jake Shellac??

Quote:

Yo, Jake, them AlQuaeda guys just blew up another building over here and I need somebody to help me cry about it, and I know that's something you frogs are good at...

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_81.jpg

That what you want for a president of the United States??
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:35 pm
Quote:

Barnes then condemned the Republican attacks on John Kerry's war service: "And I tell you that for the Republicans to jump on John Kerry and say that he is not a patriot after he went to Vietnam and was shot at and fought for our freedom and came back here and protested against the war, he's a flip-flopper, let me tell you: John Kerry is a 100 times better patriot than George Bush or Dick Cheney."

That deserves some sort of a comment. Aside from the fact that flying a jet fighter was at least as dangerous as most US army jobs in Nam at the time, there is the question of the nature of the VietNam war itself and whether there was any rational reason for anybody to feel obligated in any way to get involved in it if they did not have to.

A real war between the US and VietNam should not last more than a year, tops. By 1969 or 1970, it was painfully clear that the US was not prosecuting the thing in any sort of a serious manner, and that this was as much due to the machinations of democrats in congress as to any other cause. The general rule was that nobody with brains or talent of any sort wanted anything to do with the thing.

Granted the other side played games during the cold war and a US president had to be able to play such games, nonetheless you play games with petty cash and a few handsfull of professional soldiers and soldiers of fortune like Reagan did in central America, and not with hundreds of thousands of draftees and vast sums of treasure. You cannot draft the boy next door and tell him it's somehow or other his patriotic duty to go into harms way for a stupid game.

Thus, what somebody did or didn't do during the time of the Vietnam war is NORMALLY not of any concern to rational people, particularly to people who were alive at the time.

NONETHELESS, when you get some phony SOB like the gigolo conducting himself the way he did over there, it's the same basic thing as perpetrating phoniness in any other walk of life and deserves to be pointed out in a campaign, as the swiftvets are doing.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
Re: Sweating, squealing, sinking...
swolf wrote:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/dg20040828.shtml

Kerry's Crowd: Sweating, Squealing & Sinking
Doug Giles

about us (from the townhall website)

Townhall.com is the first truly interactive community on the Internet to bring Internet users, conservative public policy organizations, congressional staff, and political activists together under the broad umbrella of "conservative" thoughts, ideas and actions. Townhall.com is a one-stop mall of ideas in which people congregate to exchange, discuss and disseminate the latest news and information from the conservative movement. Townhall.com is committed to inform, educate and empower the public through this emerging electronic medium.

it's not surprising "bird lover magazine" is "written by and for bird lovers"

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
it's not surprising "bird lover magazine" is "written by and for bird lovers"

hehe or Laughing
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:05 pm
Ben Barnes is a Texas Democrat in the Jim Hightower/Molly Ivins mold. Nothing that comes out of their mouths is ever surprising. He might be telling the truth, but if he had to lie to make Kerry look good he would as well.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lips28.html :

"Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

The additional language varied from the two previous citations, signed first by Adm. Elmo Zumwalt and then Adm. John Hyland, which themselves differ. The new material added in the Lehman citation reads in part: "By his brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty, Lieutenant (jg) Kerry reflected great credit upon himself...."

Asked how the citation could have been executed over his signature without his knowledge, Lehman said: "I have no idea. I can only imagine they were signed by an autopen." The autopen is a device often used in the routine execution of executive documents in government.

Kerry senior adviser Michael Meehan could not be reached for comment on Kerry's records."

I believe that getting and giving medals in the Vietnam era was a slapdash process. I also think that Kerry took full advantage of that, with a plan in mind which prescience I both admire and fear. However it is he who has promoted his military career as a qualification for the presidency (after, in 1992, saying that the lack thereof had no bearing on Clinton's fitness). Perhaps the most amazing thing is the Kerry thought that the questions about his short but sweet service, and the animosity that he gained when he returned, would be forgotten in this era of the internet and polarized camps. I wonder just how smart Kerry is, and whether the easy life as Mass. junior senator has made him soft.
0 Replies