Need a rough estimate of art print restoration

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 06:29 pm
I have a 30" x 25" professionally framed art print that looks like it has very light colored greyish mold on the inside of the glass. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to have it removed? I'm looking for a very rough estimate. I want to sell the print but cannot in it's current condition.

It is a print that is signed and numbered.

Thanks

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 08:48 pm
@Not 2 Crazy,
its called
foxing" and it cn vary based upon

1severity of the mold growth
2whether any damage has occured to the paper

the cost can vary between , 75 and 400 dollars, so the print should be something worth saving.

The conservator should stabilize the paper and either reframe with a matting, "standoff" and glass .I am assuming youll keep your frame. Those are extra costs.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:00 pm
@farmerman,
since most conservation techniques involve, UV shining on paper wetted by DISTILLED water, chloramines, or a mix of peroxide and ammonia, or (worst) hypochlorite, many museum guys say, if the foxing isnt damaging, just let ot be. Just arrange to have the glass NOT touch the print , keep it in a dry environment, and in low light.
If the foxing is just a cosmetics problem , dont mess with it because most all the above chemicals have consequences( even the UV nethod)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 10:32 pm
@farmerman,
Sometimes I am amazed at the breadth of your knowledge.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:15 am
@ossobuco,
I have 2 friends who are conservators over at the Winterthur Museum. I ask them questions all the time and they are great teachers.
0 Replies