In your opinion, is 34 years old, still a young person?

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:19 am
I've never even as a 18 year old thought 34 was old. I'm now in my early thirties and to me it's not old. However some people in their late teens claim it's not young..

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 03:08 am
These are subjective judgments. If i were you, i'd not pay any attention to the matter. To forestall the question, i'm 65 years old.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:01 am
Its a sort of social tabu on which most of us were lied to till we got to the age of 40...anatomically speaking we are old at 40...I got pissed when I noticed the lie for myself. Now I have to take some precautions...I am a heavy smoker... I fault my analitically obsessed mind...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 07:18 am
@Gregory81,
Until I was 30, yes 34 was old. Now that I am over 50, 34 is very young.

Simply perception.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 07:31 am
@Gregory81,
The easiest way to tell if you are still young is to ask yourself if you are worried about growing older.

Young people worry about growing older. Old people worry about not growing older.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 07:57 am
@Gregory81,
Gregory81 wrote:

I've never even as a 18 year old thought 34 was old. I'm now in my early thirties and to me it's not old.

Age is all relative. I'm 44. I don't consider myself young but nor do I consider myself decrepit and dusty ancient.

Quote:
However some people in their late teens claim it's not young..

And teens are idiots. That's a scientific fact. Even I was an idiot when I was a teenager, (albeit a very dull one at that).
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:00 am
The teenagers who thought that I was old when I was 34, are all now in their forties or thereabouts.

Lol, as they say.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:11 am
@Gregory81,
Is 34 young? not young enough to party with teenagers

Young enough to party with 60 year olds.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:48 am
Left to a natural life mankind usually dies around mid forties. Scientifically speaking at 40 plus we are old. Just not rotten yet.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:56 am
@Gregory81,
I'm 35, I don't see it as young now but in 10 years I will.
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
And teens are idiots. That's a scientific fact. Even I was an idiot when I was a teenager, (albeit a very dull one at that).

Well does that make young teens perceptive -- my 13 year old calls her 17 year old sister an idiot all the time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Is 34 young? not young enough to party with teenagers

Young enough to party with 60 year olds.

At the early bird special.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:05 am
@Robert Gentel,
Off topic I was pushed couple of minutes ago for the new emergent A2K police force. Technically you have to put me in probation. Since I am dumb and probably will repeat the mistake a ban should follow....
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:08 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I had to see what you wrote that could possibly cause a problem -- I laughed my butt off. But then I take things not very personally so I guess I don't have an issue with it.
go on back to the topic
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 12:52 pm
@Gregory81,
Greg you're a child, says Dale at 85
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 01:58 pm
One never knows; does one. Meaning it is all relative. If one is 50, but lives a healthy life into one's 90's, one is young at 50. If one is 30, but is gone by 45, one is (comparatively) old.

However, I do remember that there was a time that I could not conceive of my life being over; every day was just a new opportunity to be fairly happy. At some time in my early 50's I became aware of my mortality for no particular reason. I almost think there was an alarm clock in my brain set for that age. Then each day my awareness of my mortality was a little cloud following me around (like a character in one of the old newspaper comic strips).

Reading Ernst Becker, Denial of Death, explained things for me. There is even a nice Wikipedia article on his theory (Terror Management Theory). Regardless of our age, if I understood him, we are all aware of our mortality, and assuage that awareness in whatever we do that helps us feel we are identifying with something that will outlive us. For example, a religion, a profession, a family, etc.

And then, one can live over 100 and be young at 60.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:49 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
one can live over 100
Foof, the prostate doc has given me 5 more years
...or was it four
0 Replies

Kathycsp

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:31 pm
@Gregory81,
i don't know why you said that. I'm 19 years old now and i have never thought i am old. I think I can do so many things that i have not experienced before in the future. Thinking yourself old is so pessimistic! In my opinion, you don't have to care about other people's views. you can do your self. you are still young!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:26 pm
@Gregory81,
In my opinion, 34 years old is indeed old, as many people die at that age (or not much older).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 11:09 pm
I felt relatively young, until age fifty, at which time, my health began heading south. I made drastic changes and began to feel healthy enough after that, but I knew at last I was getting old. I look back at my thirties with envy, now, at 73. I have to keep busy every day, which ends being like running very hard to remain in the same place. Take my advice and stay 34.
0 Replies