Abuzz Shutting Down For Real

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
I joined here in Dec 2002,* I remember seeing an aside from someone about able2know on one of the more inflamed political threads and saying to myself " 'Ere, whot's this?"

(I was still doing my Dr. Watson imitation then.)

I signed on and, except for getting thrown off once for stupidity and obstinacy or obstinacy and stupidity, I forget which, it's been a great experience and a terrific waste of time. Cool

I am ready for a little "What fires you up?" though.

Joe Nation

*the same day as BumbleBeeBoogie I looked it up. Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
"What Fires You Up?" will be looking for a new home now. Hope it is here.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
I can remember when they were going to do abuzzthere near their offices and allow it to intergrated to the center of The NewYorker World. We all sent in our suggestions.That was fun considering I went there so many times to free lanceand when the opportunity came I wasn't carring my camera so now I am a cameracameleon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:41 pm
What Fires You Up is already on a couple of forums. I can't recall their names.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:08 pm
Thats too ****ing sad.

I really, really liked that place. I mostly lost interest in what Abuzz had become, but I still miss it, well, almost every week, honestly.

A2K is cool, but it's so - so different, in terms of mood, the way it works, feels - I'm not the person I was on Abuzz. Others aren't either. And of course so many people never made it here ...

I had some real fun on Abuzz. I remember so often just reading a thread with increasing incredulity at the sheer, brilliant, hilarious and imaginative mayhem of the creative threads ... never had that on another forum. And finding comfort in the pleasant threads ...

I mostly stayed away from politics, there, and the fun threads were a bit more, well, there were more youngsters there I guess, it was a bit more fast-paced and zany.

Oh, and there were beautiful threads, moving threads ... like that thread the Dutch guy started, March of Mourning or what was it? Really, really personal and moving posts there. I posted some myself too, remember others contributing moving stories too on my Do you miss your mama?

And there was Anastasia of course, winning everyone over ... I took her there when I was posting a while already, and so Abuzz became an extra meeting place for us ... we had some fun ;-)

Oh man oh man oh man. I still checked in every so often just to ... see it for a moment again ... if it wont be there anymore, that'll be a sad blank spot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:11 pm
Oh I saved lots of Abuzz threads on my HD, by the way ... most all threads I'd been in until November 2002 ... some 350 threads, altogether. So if, later, you remember a thread you would have liked to keep and you remember I was in it, I can send you the file ...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:34 pm
nimh! That's amazing....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:49 pm
Spent some of today looking back at some of my early posts on Abuzz, I was such a clean shaven well behaved young man then........
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
I think the visual format was nice and for some strange reason that was nice to deal with. other than that it was good. It was a role model or how should we say it ?
It was the BLOGmodel of certain desire.Now take the bestof both with a little A2k blended in for spice and SALZA and arrive at a cite of Pixelation!!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:02 pm
This has turned into quite the wake.

nimh, you said so many things.

I remember that hilarious thread of puns. Can't remember the name of the guy who started it. He was on gardening a lot. Think I still have it.

Then anything at all that Mary was on. Have some of those too.

Such memories.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:04 pm
Was it "Please delete me from this God-forsaken thread", or something like that?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
No format can replace A2K, frankly. The only thing that Abuzz had, that A2K does not, is the full text shown in updates.

The best attribute of A2K, is the PM function. Abuzz did Not have that.

There was a young man on Abuzz called Zingo that I adored. There was someone called NuMom that I did not.

It's so ironic to me that DakotaStone fought like hell to stay on Abuzz, and then vanished into the ether.

Frankly, the thing that killed Abuzz was the fact that folks often failed to acknowledge the responses. Don't let it happen here.

I have often said, that the only things we truly own, are our birthdays and our names.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
This one I guess is a good thread to dig up here just once more: Abuzz Folklore
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:32 pm
One long running thread of mine brought friendship with joannedorel and friendly exchanges with jesusgirl and several other wonderful people. Joanne introduced me to A2K.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
2288 posts now in The One Word Thread, hehhehheh ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh I saved lots of Abuzz threads on my HD, by the way ... most all threads I'd been in until November 2002 ... some 350 threads, altogether. So if, later, you remember a thread you would have liked to keep and you remember I was in it, I can send you the file ...

Mind you, i saved 'em html only, because for one, if you save the full webpage it comes with a load of extra little files, which you save over and again for every new thread you save, and I didnt had the space for that (its 70 mb as it is); and secondly, I kept getting error messages if I tried to save complete webpages anyway, so I had to resort to html only. (I saved most of 'em at two previous end-is-near warnings, back in April '01 and August '02 ...)

Downside: graphically, its a mess. For now, if i open the files while I'm online they still look fine, probably cause the browser looks up all the extras from the abuzz site, but that will soon be no more. So after that, it will always look the way it now looks if i open 'em off-line: you can read each of the posts, but against a scrambled background that makes the whole thing harder to read, and takes some of the pleasure out of it. Plus, it doesnt show the dates of the posts, that i really hadnt noticed yet, it sucks.

But yeah, all the actual posts, all the text, I have it for every thread I was ever in (you're anal or you're not) - just updated the remaining ones.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:56 am
Well,
If Abuzz is gone,I hope many do make it here. It was a post on Abuzz that brought me over here,because I had gotten fed up with the "idiot fringe" over there.
Yes,I still posted,but I had gotten very selective as to what and where I posted.
It was Abuzz that got me into this kind of forum for the first time,so I will always have fond memories of it.And of course,some of the people.People like Mary Pope,Himself,Redheat (wherever she is now),and some others.
It was the lack of control that killed Abuzz,so PLEASE,PLEASE dont let that happen here.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:01 am
mysteryman wrote:

It was the lack of control that killed Abuzz,so PLEASE,PLEASE dont let that happen here.

I join it.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:27 am
This site won't go Abuzz's way, I'll vouch. At least past mistakes, when looked at carefully, can stop new ones.

0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:38 am
Abuzz use to be a great place until they ripped out the mods. Several people offered their free services to help keep abuzz civil and I can't understand why they refused the help.
It's sad to see it go, but without mods, the abusers take over and turn it into a slum.

I'm so glad that A2K came along when it did though, and I am grateful to the staff who work very hard to keep this place worth coming to every day. It's a very nice feeling that I can wander around in here knowing I won't be attacked, and if I am, the bouncers will grab that attacker and throw them out the door :-) It's kinda like being in a cool club where everyone knows eachother. We may not all like eachother, but I can say that I like the majority :-D
0 Replies