Unknown mystery woodcut (PICS!!)

deepaw

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:37 pm
****Deleted the last post because I could not edit it to include a link to the photos. See link to photos below.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bxIa5/new

Yesterday I posted some pics of a mystery copperplate I had gotten from my Grandma's art collection. Today I have another mystery for you all! This one is a framed woodcut(?), that appears to be quite old. The good news is, this one is signed. The bad news, is that I cannot make out the signature! Image searches of the piece, as well as the signature have not yielded anything. I have also searched through artist databases and not found a hit. I suppose the next step would be to take it out of the frame to see if there is any other info on the back of the piece, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to! Can anyone help?

deepaw

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:38 pm
@deepaw,
@ossobucco Sorry I deleted your comments in the last post, but I failed to include images! Hope you see this again and get a chance to take a look
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:41 pm
laughs..

I was rambling about an allied thing, and nothing for you to worry about.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:40 pm
@deepaw,
I think this is a piece worth going to an art conservator and having repaired and researched. Its truly a master's work.

I wonder if it's a black artist maybe from the thirties to sixties. America, maybe NYC?
deepaw

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 11:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks, @bobsal -- I actually live in NYC.
I agree with you that it is a masterwork! I cannot figure out who made it though! Other searching has lead me to believe that this is Jacob's Ladder, or specifically, Jacob's Dream (from the Bible, of course)...if you can decipher any signature I would be amazed!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:55 pm
@deepaw,
The picture is not clear enough to get a clean image in magnification.

I can't imagine that a little conservation and cleaning would cost more than $175 or so, it would be worth it. As well as about the same for museum glass and nice frame. All that has to make it worth close to $1000. More if we have name artist. Its well worth it. The fact that there were 100 in the series makes me feel there is a very good chance. Look for a "Harlem Renaissance" print maker.
deepaw

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 11:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks, @bobusal!

Would it help if I uploaded a clearer image? For now, I'm searching Harlem Renaissance print makers!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@deepaw,
Giving me a larger image to work from can't hurt.

This may take a while to nail down but I am interested in figuring this one out. It may take looking at a hundred or more artists but I think it can be done.
deepaw

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 10:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
thanks, @bobsal. I'm with you. Will take a better pic when I get home today!
0 Replies

deepaw

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 12:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
@bobsal u1553115,

Sorry for the delay--as with most things, life gets in the way!
Anyway, these are the best I can do without taking it out of the frame and scanning it (which I'm not opposed to doing, if necessary). I've been searching and searching, but have had no direct hits yet. Thanks again with your help on this, I am excited to get to the bottom of this mystery!

http://imgur.com/a/icddV

...I've also added a few detail views of the various parts of the piece. Hope this helps!!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 04:55 pm
@deepaw,
I think this is a good piece. The signature is almost going to have been known by whoever figures it out. Its judt too personal though the first name appears non "American". I still am convinced we are looking for a Black artist, but maybe in the sixties and not so old as I thought.

Maybe if you could find a NY gallery specializing in Black artists and show them the photos you shown us. This piece also needs to be cleaned and conserved.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 06:14 pm
I started searching 'African American print makers", "black printmakers" etc.

I think if I were looking for a start, maybe contacting this gallery might a good start:

http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/art-contemporary-african-american-printmakers/Content?oid=2153258
0 Replies

Onetallgentleman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 02:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I think I may have figured it out , It may be Azaria Mbatha . His name fits the Signature, feel free to google it and compare his name and art work. I'm not an expert....

-Dan
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:22 am
@Onetallgentleman,
http://www.lifewithart.com/artists/azaria-mbatha.html

I think you nailed it. It definitely has a nice value being associated with this artist. And definitely deserves a good conservation/paper restoration. This is a well documented artist.
deepaw

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 05:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Next step: conservation!
0 Replies

Onetallgentleman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks... It took me about 20 minutes on Google...
0 Replies