Origin of the Universe

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:45 pm
@abwishman,
Quote:
How is life a random event and how can something come from nothing?
Hey, really smart people like Mr. Hawking Phd. say so, so it must be true.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:03 pm
@abwishman,
abwishman wrote:
Fair assumption but what proof do you have for this claim that the supernatural is not responsible for the creation of the universe we live in?

I didn't claim that it was not responsible, I only pointed out that it was not a logical conclusion.

In point of fact, it's not a conclusion it all, nor is it an explanation of anything. The Supernatural is an infinitely broad category of not-knowing. We can use anything to fill it. For example, what proof do you have that an all-powerful Djinn is not responsible for the creation of the Universe? You don't, and you never will because it's an all-powerful Djinn, it can do anything including cover its tracks. Saying that the Universe was created by one form of omnipotent being or another doesn't tell us anything. It's just a big, "I give up" statement.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:20 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Saying that the Universe was created by one form of omnipotent being or another doesn't tell us anything. It's just a big, "I give up" statement.
It can be. But so is saying the universe created itself from nothing by the likes of Steven Hawking.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, though. I'm actually not interested in what you mean by god.

Priceless! Someone should be collecting your posts!
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Saying that the Universe was created by one form of omnipotent being or another doesn't tell us anything. It's just a big, "I give up" statement.
It can be. But so is saying the universe created itself from nothing by the likes of Steven Hawking.

If that's what he said then I would agree. Is it possible that you have oversimplified his quote and removed it from its contex sufficiently to misrepresent his meaning?

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:13 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
Setanta wrote:
"Don't get me wrong, though. I'm actually not interested in what you mean by god."

Priceless! Someone should be collecting your posts!
Wow! Me too! I don't give a **** either!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:13 am
Occam's razor still applies. Was "god" created out of nothing? If the god botherers say that "god" is eternal, you can just eliminate the middleman and say that the cosmos is eternal. God botherers are sometimes entertaining.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:59 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
ros Quote:
"Saying that the Universe was created by one form of omnipotent being or another doesn't tell us anything. It's just a big, "I give up" statement. "

Leadfoot replied:

ros:
If that's what he said then I would agree. Is it possible that you have oversimplified his quote and removed it from its contex sufficiently to misrepresent his meaning?
I was just as incredulous as you when he said that. I think it was on the same occasion as he made his formal announcement of his atheism late in 2014. He did say it point blank like that but others have tied it to other things he's said to give it a little plausibility as in this link:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/13013/stephen-hawking-says-universe-can-create-itself-from-nothing-but-how-exactly

IMO, this other statement is even more outlandish but in terms of what some scientists believe, maybe plausible if premature.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/stephen-hawking-brains-copied-life-after-death_n_3977682.html

I think he's stretching..
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 06:26 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't trust everything every scientist says either. It has to make sense to me and it has to show some relation to evidence. You have to be careful to differentiate between what the media reports and what the scientist actually said too. The media is very sloppy with science reporting (in their desperation to get a catchy headline).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:04 am
@abwishman,
abwishman wrote:
How can the origin of the universe and creation be explained without a sovereign God?

Maybe it can't. But maybe it can't be explained with a sovereign god either. After all, the universe does not owe us any explanations about itself. If we can't explain the universe, that's our problem, not the universe's. What does it matter how many gods, if any, our failed explanations involve?
abwishman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:09 pm
@Setanta,
If there is God then He is supernatural.Therefore, he does not need an explanation of where He came from. Because supernatural is essentially unfathomable. The world and universe are natural therefore need a beginning and are explainable.
0 Replies

abwishman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:12 pm
@Thomas,
I think with a sovereign God everything is explained quite simply. He created the universe and everything in it with purpose and a sense of order. But you are correct in saying we can probably never fully understand the universe because of its possible infinity. However, that adds to the majesty of how it has been created. It also shows how powerless we are.
fresco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 11:33 pm
@abwishman,
abwishman wrote:

I think with a sovereign God everything is explained quite simply......

Questionable usage of the verb 'think' ! Laughing
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 06:39 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Was "god" created out of nothing? If the god botherers say that "god" is eternal, you can just eliminate the middleman and say that the cosmos is eternal

I understand (I think) the premise. the understanding I currently adopt on the universe is that it is finite, however I do consider alternatives

Energy Depletion is a good point of consideration on this one, As energy only ever recycles into less usable forms of energy when used, an infinite universe would need a self sustaining energy source in order to keep the universe from "running" or "having run out of juice". At the moment we have yet to detect such a source, or create a plausible working model of how such an energy source might work, so any model of understanding would need to interject something we may currently deem "unscientific" or unexplainable. You know what the god botherers would plug into that socket.

By our current understandings the universe is not infinite, it is probable that it had a beginning. The power required to cause the beginning of the universe is immense, As with all finite things, they have a beginning, and thus must have a cause (assumption based on causality), meaning the cause of the beginning of the universe would have to be infinite (or the cause of the cause...ad infinitum).

My personal consideration in support for the argument for intelligence in the cause of the universe is that in an infinite existence, everything reaches equilibrium (theoretically) so you would need to disturb that equilibrium in order for anything new to have genesis. Something that could disturb an infinite loop would have to have the ability to vary its state or action in spite of a repetitive or eternal prompt. Would that not make it intelligent by definition?

There are alternate theories that I have considered, for instance you could theorise that the cause of our universe is churning out an infinite number of universes on a conveyor belt of eternally repeating prompts, creating an infinite number of universes that grow expand and pop like bubbles from a bubble machine. As the conditions will have been equal in each genesis, every universe in this scenario would be identical, thus, this suggestion would have been written read debunked and vindicated an infinite number of times.

While I have run many theories through my mind, do not be fooled by the perspicacious appearance of my babbling, I'm no scientist, and I am quite simple minded, so I am happy to consider and indeed welcome any corrections or challenges to the scenarios I discuss, I accept that all philosophical discussions are full of assumptions, premises and biases of which I am not short.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:45 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
[By our current understandings the universe is not infinite, it is probable that it had a beginning. The power required to cause the beginning of the universe is immense, As with all finite things, they have a beginning, and thus must have a cause (assumption based on causality), meaning the cause of the beginning of the universe would have to be infinite (or the cause of the cause...ad infinitum).
/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I have no formal education in this field either. Just consider: causality is a function of physical laws. Before the universe, physical laws didn't exist. I guess I'm saying that the universe did not necessarily have a cause, if that makes any sense. The only way it makes any sense to me is because I read somewhere about how subatomic particles seem to operate with cause and effect reversed, or even without it. That what we experience as cause and effect is an average on the macroscopic scale. Most particles behave with cause and effect intact, but some do not. Kind of like how we experience temperature. It's an average of very energetic and not so energetic atoms within a mass.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@abwishman,
Quote:
How is life a random event
It might or might not happen depending on other random conditions such as the inhabitability of the planet

Quote:
and how can something come from nothing?
We don't think it can. We think it's always been here in one form or another
kency123

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:29 pm
@abwishman,
Quote:
How can the origin of the universe and creation be explained without a sovereign God?

By accepting limits to our knowledge; by using our ingenuity, imagination, and curiosity to discover more; by having the humility to challenge and criticize everything we think we know; and by not being so defeatist as to take the easiest unprovable ideas as unquestionable truths.
abwishman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Okay, where did the original matter come from? And how did it form life one day?
Even if all of the necessary ingredients for life were in one spot an outside force would need to act on them in order to create life.
abwishman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:32 pm
@kency123,
An unprovable idea such as a sovereign God?
kency123

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:46 pm
@abwishman,
Yes, that's a good example
0 Replies